Kid Pees On $36,000 Worth of MacBooks

Now? Schools have been using Apple products since the dawn of computers. Perhaps that's how the whole Apple/Hippie culture came about in the first place.

Yeah, I was using Apple IIe's back in grade school. Apple computers in schools has been around for a while.

So if a homeless person urinated on you it wouldn't be so bad because it's sterile?

So you'd rather be peed on by someone that owns a house? "Hey, wait dude, I'm not homeless!"... "Ok, nevermind, I'm good with it." :D

LOL, "biohazard." What utter bullshit. Apple employees are just whiner pussies.

I used to repair medical research devices that were used on cats, rabbits, monkeys...we didn't have the luxury of declaring urine to be a "biohazard" when servicing the instruments. And truthfully it's not, urine is sterile. It's just unpleasant for the delicate flowers Apple must employ.

Have you seen Planet of the Apes?

That kid must have the bladder of a race horse!! :eek:

calvin1.jpg

Yeah, I was using Apple IIe's back in grade school. Apple computers in schools has been around for a while.

Back in the Apple II days, Apple donated an Apple II system to any school that would take one (at least that was the policy out here in California). Of course this was only 1 computer per school, with Apple assuming that they would then buy more computers to go with that original Apple II.

I don't understand why schools buy apple shit when the real word is filled with Windows based computers.

Because most schools no longer function in the real world.
It's the liberal way.... The show is more important than the actual results.
It's more important to have new trendy equipment to show off, than actually teach usable skills.

We are a great school because we have shinny new iPads!

We give every incoming freshman a new MacBook! (of course we had to raise are tuition another 10%)

Now? Schools have been using Apple products since the dawn of computers. Perhaps that's how the whole Apple/Hippie culture came about in the first place.

The difference is now (and since at least the mid 90s) there are viable alternatives that are substantially cheaper and have a higher market saturation (despite the fact the Commodore 64 was substantially cheaper and sold better in the 80s). At this point, it's just wasteful spending in an attempt to try and win a pissing contest. There is just no reason in this day and age for a school to be this reckless with their finances.

What does it take to prove that public school get too much money?

1) Buying Apple computers.
2) Throwing out 36 computers because there's a little tinkle on them.

Don't forget about the enormous amount of funds that get stuck in the "building fund" that can not be redirected to other sources like text books and instead have to be wasted on things like a $60,000,000 (sixty million dollar) high school football stadium. While I can totally understand not being able to redirect "education funds" to the "building fund" there is no reason you shouldn't be able to remove surplus from the "building fund" and move it to an area that actually needs it. A high school simply does not ever need a sixty million dollar football stadium especially when it was built because they would have lost the excess money otherwise. It's incredibly foolish and irresponsible.

This is what teachers deal with everyday ... failed parents failing at properly raising their children, who are destined to be failures themselves.

Officially Apple Service Technicians are not supposed to server any Apple product that may have been urinated on by a pet...

From the AppleCare Service Training:
"Once you open the computer do you smell anything? For example, an ammonia-like smell is an indicator of pet urine. (Please note that Apple's repair depots may refuse to repair a damage that has been damaged by pet urine. It is considered a biohazard.) If you smell any unusual odors, be sure to wear rubber or nitrile gloves when handling the computer. Also work in a well-ventilated area.
If you suspect spill damage, place an absorbent cloth on your work area and hold the computer upside down over it. This will reveal any liquids in the computer."

Apple Simply took the fact that a kid urinated on the laptops and immediately marked then a Accidental Damage, and Urine, and declared then unserviceable.

If they were in/on a cart, then the machines were probably charging, and the urine may have shorted out the power adapters, caused damage to the logic boards, keyboard, optical drives, RAM, and other internal components. The fact that this was a accidental damage case, the schools insurance company based the value of a replacement.... a BRAND NEW replacement, of course. LOL

4 reasons from a top 50 school system to use Macs and I agree with them:

1. No per user OS bullshit cost.

2. Warranty is essentially free or it is pretty much priced in with the laptop.

3. Apple is a great vendor to school systems and one that pretty much does all laptop branding/will work with 3rd party vendors to get carts etc. So Apple has reps that really are better than other competitors reps.

4. Easy to use.

that kid's urine is probably cleaner and more harmless than all the germs and other gross shit that would have ended up on that keyboard, had it been used.

I'm not an apple fan, but what a stupid little a-hole kid. This can be his one claim to 'fame' in 45 years when he's the haunted old drunk of his town.

3. Apple is a great vendor to school systems and one that pretty much does all laptop branding/will work with 3rd party vendors to get carts etc. So Apple has reps that really are better than other competitors reps.

4. Easy to use.

Thats just a list of BS. Can tell you don't have to use them.

1. The OS "updates" cost money, lots of money for what are service packs (which are free everywhere else). They also break a fuck ton of software compatibility with older OS service packs meaning upgrades mean payouts to keep any costly software relevant. Windows you can run old software on whatever operating system. Making it cost less.

2. They also allow you a million ways to "opt out" of the BS warranty. Examples from people I know include upgrading the HDD and RAM and many other BS reasons.

3. Pricey harder to upgrade units with shitty software and horrid stability are not cost effective. I have never seen a room of iMacs without at least 2 of them broken/crashed/hung. They are the 5th most reliable brand. What does this 30%+ cost premium net you?

4. They crash a fuck ton. The window management system is outdated and useless and annoying to use. There is huge stability problems, especially over time, especially when running 2 things at once. They are difficult to get proper software for in many areas. They do not by default take modern file systems, instead adding stupid ones nobody wants. They have a backwards assed mouse system. The peripherals are made of cheap shizzle and the keyboards are horrid. They lack proper ports like USB 3,0, instead going for BS firewire crap. The drives need to be "ejected" or they screw up.

They are used by less than 5% of the world, most of which load windows on theirs anyway.

Seriously I hope yours was a troll post...:p

If you have 36 computers sitting on a cart running then you deserve to have them destroyed.

If they were all off like they should have been then pop the batteries out, remove the keyboard, DVD drive, Hard drive, and any other easily removable parts from them. Empty a spare room, open the PCs all halfway, prop them up on their sides on the ground, angle towards the front of the room. Plug the janitors big hallway drying fan, and any other fans you have, in at the front of the room. Turn on the fans, lock the room, and wait until the next Monday. Wipe down each PC in detail with anti-bacterial cloths until all possible "bio-hazards" are removed. Dry overnight, same way as before. Reassemble all PCs and they will all work just fine.

Only if you were idiotic enough to leave them running or to try to turn them on while they were still wet would they ever actually be broken by someone peeing on them.

I like the fact that 36k worth of mac books fit in a small cart. :p How many is that anyway, 10 of them? lol

At the price mac products cost I would expect them to be urine proof and cure cancer.

Back in the Apple II days, Apple donated an Apple II system to any school that would take one (at least that was the policy out here in California). Of course this was only 1 computer per school, with Apple assuming that they would then buy more computers to go with that original Apple II.

And our computer labs were full of them.

As much as it's amusing for someone to piss on macbooks, if I were anywhere near that kid I'd love to show him the back of my hand at high velocity :p

36k sounds way too much, though even if they were older the fact you have to replace them costs you more money than they were worth. Nothing wrong with that, you'll note the article doesn't even say "$36k worth of macbooks", they said 36k loss, which if you have to replace them is what it is.

If they were sitting in a cart they probably weren't on, so I don't imagine they are all actually cooked. I've had friends drop beer into macbooks while they're running and they work afterwards (though from then on several of the keys became permenantly fucked even after puilling them out and cleaning them). That's not to say you can't kill a computer by dropping shit in it, just to say that particular macbook had a decent amount of beer spilled on it and it didn't reach anything important. Another friend dropped wine through the top of his antec 900 case while the PC was running and well and truly killed it :p

Also, yeah, if someone bought me a stack of computers with urine or some other mystery liquid on it, I might think twice about repairing them too... I often fix friends' PCs, but if one of them came up and said "it stopped working when I pissed in it" my response would be a resounding "fuck you, fix it yourself".

Lastly, on macs in schools, it really just depends what deals they can swing with them. 2 of my sisters bought macs through corporate deals where they work, one a teacher in a school and the other at an electronics retailer, and they both got them for pretty good prices. It just depends what deals they can get, what support is offered, stuff like that, which may not be the same as if your average joe walked into an apple store and tried to buy one.

Uri Nari? Isn't he a former Soviet spy? I think the kid is a front for future nasty apple tricks. Be wary of Hallowe'en antics...

LOL, "biohazard." What utter bullshit. Apple employees are just whiner pussies.

I used to repair medical research devices that were used on cats, rabbits, monkeys...we didn't have the luxury of declaring urine to be a "biohazard" when servicing the instruments. And truthfully it's not, urine is sterile. It's just unpleasant for the delicate flowers Apple must employ.

You knew what you were getting into. As a tech, I wouldn't service a urine soaked laptop either. Fuck that.

Also, urine may be sterile as it leaves the body, but it can - and will - foster bacterial growth as it's quite nutrient rich.

What the hell was going through that kid's mind? Did he do this on purpose (I assume yes). Parents need to be held responsible if they are going to raise a terror for a child. Really hoping insurance goes after the parents for the cost of replacing $36,000 worth of hardware.

1. The OS "updates" cost money, lots of money for what are service packs (which are free everywhere else). They also break a fuck ton of software compatibility with older OS service packs meaning upgrades mean payouts to keep any costly software relevant. Windows you can run old software on whatever operating system. Making it cost less.
Sure, But none of these "service packs" are required to use OS X.

2. They also allow you a million ways to "opt out" of the BS warranty. Examples from people I know include upgrading the HDD and RAM and many other BS reasons.
This is simply untrue. It's specified in the warranty leaflet that user serviceable parts include RAM, HDD's, Batteries (for the non unibody macs).

4. They crash a fuck ton. The window management system is outdated and useless and annoying to use. There is huge stability problems, especially over time, especially when running 2 things at once. They are difficult to get proper software for in many areas. They do not by default take modern file systems, instead adding stupid ones nobody wants. They have a backwards assed mouse system. The peripherals are made of cheap shizzle and the keyboards are horrid. They lack proper ports like USB 3,0, instead going for BS firewire crap. The drives need to be "ejected" or they screw up.
I've been using a macbook pro for the better part of 6 months and have yet to restart it. Computers treated like crap run like crap. If you like scissor keys, their keyboards are great.

The only true complaint I agree with is USB 3.0. There's a FUSE build that allows any modern OS to be written to and read from.

Responded in quote.

4. Easy to use.

get out of [H] now

The company that I work keeps the original purchase price of equipment. So even a 4-5 year old laptop carries a ridiculous "value". Something to do with taxes.

As an accountant I will tell you not depreciating equipment is counter-productive for tax reasons. It actually goes against standard practice. Holding an asset at book (way above FMV) is kind of senseless. It can create issues for insurance, disposal, and more.

If you have 36 computers sitting on a cart running then you deserve to have them destroyed.

If they were all off like they should have been then pop the batteries out, remove the keyboard, DVD drive, Hard drive, and any other easily removable parts from them. Empty a spare room, open the PCs all halfway, prop them up on their sides on the ground, angle towards the front of the room. Plug the janitors big hallway drying fan, and any other fans you have, in at the front of the room. Turn on the fans, lock the room, and wait until the next Monday. Wipe down each PC in detail with anti-bacterial cloths until all possible "bio-hazards" are removed. Dry overnight, same way as before. Reassemble all PCs and they will all work just fine.

Only if you were idiotic enough to leave them running or to try to turn them on while they were still wet would they ever actually be broken by someone peeing on them.

That's assuming that you peed directly on the motherboards. How does pee penetrate a PC casing? Even PC keyboards are designed to keep water away from the circuitry.

And our computer labs were full of them.

Full of macbooks, but what kind of PC did you end up using when you started working at the office?

The computer college i went to mostly had Windows based computers with some linux thrown in. I have never seen a mac for the whole time i was there. Mind you, we're the same guys that you're outsourcing too. Maybe if you guys had concentrated on PC's that are actually relevant to IT and office work?

That's assuming that you peed directly on the motherboards. How does pee penetrate a PC casing? Even PC keyboards are designed to keep water away from the circuitry.

It drips down through the laptop keys just like it does on any number of desktop keyboards. Not everything is designed to be spill resistant and tightly sealed (though you would think a laptop certainly would be fore the sake of practicality as spills and drops are the leading cause of damage). Liquids excel at getting into places they shouldn't and urine has a bit more force behind it than spilling something does. These are laptops not hermetically sealed and encased collectibles.

It drips down through the laptop keys just like it does on any number of desktop keyboards. Not everything is designed to be spill resistant and tightly sealed (though you would think a laptop certainly would be fore the sake of practicality as spills and drops are the leading cause of damage). Liquids excel at getting into places they shouldn't and urine has a bit more force behind it than spilling something does. These are laptops not hermetically sealed and encased collectibles.

Actually, on every desktop keyboard i've used (And i've opened quite a few), the keys are basically inside a pan and the holes that lead into the circuitry is elevated, they also have holes along the bottom of the keyboard for the water to go through.

And these really are all laptops? For $36,000.00 you could buy over a hundred entry level PCs. Who the heck decides the school budget???

Back