Kickstarter That Turns Your Phone Into A Drone

Cool I guess but I'd rather buy a drone I can fly by myself. That is where the fun is.

So, they made an automated spying device?

Step right up! If you're a creep, you can buy a cheap smart phone, make sure no identifiable information is on it, and spy on whoever you want! Don't worry, if the drone gets discovered, they won't know who launched it! You'll be in the safety of your living room, watching the live stream, instead of hiding in the bushes.

So, they made an automated spying device?

Step right up! If you're a creep, you can buy a cheap smart phone, make sure no identifiable information is on it, and spy on whoever you want! Don't worry, if the drone gets discovered, they won't know who launched it! You'll be in the safety of your living room, watching the live stream, instead of hiding in the bushes.

which doesn't make it different from any other drone w/ a camera on the market right now....

Terrible idea. So when it crashes (and they all do at some point) you could lose your phone. My quad has been out of commission a few times, not as big of a deal compared to my phone going out of commission.

I think this is an awesome idea, Heck buy a $50 phone, just needs wi-fi, and I assume GPS. How many drones will follow you? Not many for couple hundred bucks.

I think this is an awesome idea, Heck buy a $50 phone, just needs wi-fi, and I assume GPS. How many drones will follow you? Not many for couple hundred bucks.

Good point, I guess I didn't think of just getting a cheap phone to run it, automatically thought of using my daily driver.(derp)

The lowest price for the kickstarter was $199, and that is all sold out. Was $199 ever cheap for what was offered?

RIP your phone battery after a few flights

phone batteries are not ment for high amp draw

And here I've been looking for an exceptionally stupid way to lose my phone.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-17261-1415655209-4.gif

This seems like a better alternative, if you're inclined to do anything similar already.

Needs 2 parts to operate, costs equal or more than equivalent full-built drone. Brilliant...?

Yeah, your phone is already a remotely-controlled data collection drone that Google operates with you acting as the physical tripod and product at the same time. It seems not necessary to "drone-i-fy" it further, but people watch sports so I'm not surprised something like this exists.

Psst, you can buy cheap-o phones for like less than $10 on one of those pay-by-month services. $50 is kinda wasteful at this point. Go look on Amazon for like Tracfone androids and see for yourself.

I totally misread the text on the pic on the front page as PhoneBone. I need to get more sleep. :p

Beautiful application of the computer power in your phone. I bet we see a lot more modular devices like this in the future.

Phone doesn't shatter when you drop it from pocket height in the parking lot?

Have we got a solution for you...

What could possibly go wrong?
Maybe if I had an older device after an upgrade? I'd laugh my ass off if someone's $900 phone landed in the lake.

Classic example of "technology gone wrong."

This is a clear example of common sense being ignored.

Why would someone put their $800 - $900 Apple iPhone 6+ in jeopardy?

Classic example of "technology gone wrong."

This is a clear example of common sense being ignored.

Why would someone put their $800 - $900 Apple iPhone 6+ in jeopardy?

You should ask wilsonrdfl above :p

I wouldn't put my phone in one of these, but I could see doing it with my old Samsug Galaxy S3, if supported.

If you want to spy goto a double floor mall and on the second floor point your camera down. It's amazing how much cleavage one can pick up during the holiday season. Sure it's pervery and juvenile but who cares. Hey want to wear a low cut well you're going to have eyes on you.

This actually failed the first time around, they went back to kickstarter after they appeared on Shark Tank. That episode was filmed before the newly proposed FAA regulations for registering. The Sharks were fawning all over this crappy excuse for a UAV.

I think it'd be pretty cool if it worked well. A lot could go wrong, but an old phone that you have sitting around gathering dust could be a great candidate.

Not sure if I'd say it was worth it money wise, but still pretty cool.

If you want to spy goto a double floor mall and on the second floor point your camera down. It's amazing how much cleavage one can pick up during the holiday season. Sure it's pervery and juvenile but who cares. Hey want to wear a low cut well you're going to have eyes on you.

You stay classy, San Diego.

If it is leveraging all the phones capabilities except camera and battery, shouldn't it be massively cheaper then a dedicated drone that includes its own electronics and controller?

At this point I guess it is marketing its self that it is a cell capable device with hopeful apps support.
And is it iOS only at this point? Would be a far better marketing decision if they went android for the simple reason of expendable device support.

My coworker was showing this earlier this week as it was on shark tank and they all went crazy for it and threw in a lot of money to invest into this company

I actually figured out what this thing is good for.

It was there, on the tip of my tongue this whole time!

Poor cell reception. Just get you a long ass earbuds with mic, and then let this thing fly up to top of your roof and BAM! ... You have a better signal.

Brilliant ................................

Terrible idea. So when it crashes (and they all do at some point) you could lose your phone. My quad has been out of commission a few times, not as big of a deal compared to my phone going out of commission.

Yeah I'm sure it would be really bad if it crashes but maybe you can use a fairly cheap phone in order to use it. Hopefully they aren't expecting you to throw a $600 phone in that when you could possibly break the thing.

Back