Kickstarter Of The Day Raises $2.4M In Eight Hours

HardOCP News

[H] News
I decided to call this "Kickstarter of the Day" because "crazy Exploding Kittens card game by The Oatmeal guy raises $2.3M in 8 hours...project goal was $10k in 30 days" was just too damn long to use. :eek:

“I suggested that we change the name to ‘Exploding Kittens,’ and add cards like unicorn pigs and Sasquatches and weaponized back-hair and a bunch of other weird ‘Oatmeal’-inspired attack cards. From there, our little game was born.”

That's it. Time to kill myself. I have no more connection to this world. *facepalm*

Hah, That actually seems a bit hilarious. Maybe a good christmas present.

But wow, 20 bucks first tier.

Wow that's amazing! But then again the idea seems really fun. I really am not at all interested in Kickstarter stuff, but this is so tempting!

That actually looks like a fun game , and I guess that's the idea of why it was so successful instantly.

On a side note , what legal ramifications are there at all for a group like this , say it got into silly funding land of 5-10 million , taking that money , printing cut-out paper cards that look like something straight out of a word template , and skipping away with the vast majority of money never spending much of anything on production ?

Just curious.

I don't even care about the game, I just want poster sized cards.

I don't understand why people these days are hell bent on supporting other people's stupid ideas. These cards look like pure shit. Who drew them, 4chan?

It's an odd idea that they find amusing, and want to see it in fruition. Nothing wrong with that. And I'm sure they want a copy to play.

I don't understand why people these days are hell bent on supporting other people's stupid ideas. These cards look like pure shit. Who drew them, 4chan?

People nowadays feel obligated to spend money

It's an odd idea that they find amusing, and want to see it in fruition. Nothing wrong with that. And I'm sure they want a copy to play.
Sure its amusing, but it couldn't have taken more than a week to create, and shouldn't cost more than $5. How much venture capital do you even need to make a deck of cards in 2015? And that it made $2.4M? This is a huge waste of society's resources, and hilariously proves that South Park's "Go Fund Yourself" episode is so damn true! All you need is a funny unique kickstarter name and you can make millions.

I mean, I can really just picture millions of these guys throwing money around cuz "I dunno, I thought it was funny and pretty sweet":
687883034_3813172187001_video-still-for-video-3813116538001.jpg

While it is an interesting idea, I think creator being the guy behind The Oatmeal is the main reason why it's so successful... and perhaps cats :p

Oatmeal is hilarious and his deseeded hatred for cats is explained in an old comic.

That'd make one helluva fun drinking game.

Sure its amusing, but it couldn't have taken more than a week to create, and shouldn't cost more than $5. How much venture capital do you even need to make a deck of cards in 2015? And that it made $2.4M? This is a huge waste of society's resources, and hilariously proves that South Park's "Go Fund Yourself" episode is so damn true! All you need is a funny unique kickstarter name and you can make millions.

I mean, I can really just picture millions of these guys throwing money around cuz "I dunno, I thought it was funny and pretty sweet":

I don't get it what the difference would be. They pay now and get it later, or potentially pay more later and get it later. It's something that seems fun, and they want it. t's not like one person threw 2.4 million at it. It's 60k different people.

Geezus people you guys really love to try to be Debbie Downers on this.

How much venture capital do you need to make a card game... I'll tell you, $10,000 that's all their goal was. But you know what, people went apeshit and funded the ever living fuck out of it, because they probably want the card game. While $20 might be a bit much, and I probably would wait until it comes out in stores, if you look at the Cards Against Humanity kickstarter (didn't raise anywhere near as much) $15 got you a deck, want to buy it today on Amazon? $25. Card games aren't cheap once you get past UNO.

It's a very fast drawing card game with 56 cards. For $20? I'm not sure I'd get as much fun out of this as looking at the pictures. I'd be really interested if they had made it a different type of game.

I a sucker for Exploding Kittens... My first Kick Starter Pledge!:confused:

$35 is a must.

People seem to have a big Cat following on the net ala Grumpy Cat.
Why am I going to work everyday?

If you watch Shark Tank, a guy literally makes 9k in 3 months iirc, drawing shitting almost stick figure cats.

I kid you not.

I don't like that the first people that "explode" are out of the game. They're going to end up bored just sitting around waiting for the game to end.

$10K to fund a production run, the rest are just pre-orders if you think about it. As long as they deliver anyway.

That actually looks like a fun game , and I guess that's the idea of why it was so successful instantly.

On a side note , what legal ramifications are there at all for a group like this , say it got into silly funding land of 5-10 million , taking that money , printing cut-out paper cards that look like something straight out of a word template , and skipping away with the vast majority of money never spending much of anything on production ?

Just curious.
As long as the cards are delivered to anyone, nothing, it's simply extra money and there were no false promises made.

Ducman69 said:
It's a slippery slope you're going down when you talk about misallocation of resources though. I mean this is essentially the free market at work. I mean I would argue that auto companies buying up tram lines in major cities, then deliberately shutting them down so people drive more cars is also a misallocation of resources.

Besides, how do you know the guy running this is going to squander his money? He had a fundraiser early to establish a Nicolas Tesla museum. Meanwhile, Notch is spending 70 million on a Beverly Hills mansion.

Has to be said people are funding this because its so stupid they want to it get upticked on Kickstarter, by people who want to fuel the ridiculousness.

OTOH I think I understand the last two presidential elections better.

Kickstarter should not allow funding beyond the last tier goal. Because apperently people have no brains and self control. If you see that the project is already funded, just give your money away for charity for crying out loud.

This makes me so mad, that people can be so selfish, there is no hope for a better tomorrow.

I see you donated $2.3 million of that. :D

Maaaaybe! :) Actually though, this is so hilarious that I had to back it which is the first time I've ever done the kickstarter thing-y. :D

I mean, I can really just picture millions of these guys throwing money around cuz "I dunno, I thought it was funny and pretty sweet"

You were upset about Grumpy Cat too. I'm starting to think that maybe you get very envious of something that involves someone else having monetary success and demonstrate it by lashing out at the people who are successful and the people who helped them get there.

Kickstarter should not allow funding beyond the last tier goal. Because apperently people have no brains and self control. If you see that the project is already funded, just give your money away for charity for crying out loud.

This makes me so mad, that people can be so selfish, there is no hope for a better tomorrow.

So wait, you're mad that someone else is spending their money in a way you don't approve? Why do you even care? What's the point in investing a bunch of emotions in this and predicting a dark and gloomy future based on it? You guys so often prove that you're beyond emo and have so much less control over your feelings than pretty much any girl on the planet.

Pretty impressive. They've made all the production cost they'll ever need, and have already started making millions in profit before it's production has even started. :eek:

Quite an extreme case of pre-ordering, but to each their own I guess.

I firmly agree that people waste their money in the most ridiculous ways they possibly can.

But then again, I really admire the ability to create such a stupidly simple idea that makes so many suckers part with their hard earned money. My coworker and I are in awe at how simple it is to make people pay inordinate amounts of money for what amounts to a simply premise that involves badly drawn pictures on hard paper.

It's a slippery slope you're going down when you talk about misallocation of resources though. I mean this is essentially the free market at work.
I have no problem with the free market, I just have a problem with a culture that says they don't have money for important responsible things in their day to day lives or say NASA is wasted money, but blow huge sums of money on football/basketball games and "rims" for their hooptie and pays way too much for a simple deck of cards that don't even exist and is extremely basic. IMO its so cheap to pump out a deck of cards, that its ridiculous its even on kickstarter in the first place, as you can just get a Chinese company print your standard issue cards/boxes with your graphics for next to nothing and sell it in stores like normal... but I understand why they did it, as there are so many people that watch kickstarter and throw their money at virtually anything that sounds like a neat idea. Its like the pre-order holocaust taken to a whole new level, lol!

I have no problem with the free market, I just have a problem with a culture that says they don't have money for important responsible things in their day to day lives or say NASA is wasted money, but blow huge sums of money on football/basketball games and "rims" for their hooptie and pays way too much for a simple deck of cards that don't even exist and is extremely basic. IMO its so cheap to pump out a deck of cards, that its ridiculous its even on kickstarter in the first place, as you can just get a Chinese company print your standard issue cards/boxes with your graphics for next to nothing and sell it in stores like normal... but I understand why they did it, as there are so many people that watch kickstarter and throw their money at virtually anything that sounds like a neat idea. Its like the pre-order holocaust taken to a whole new level, lol!

Says the guy with a motorcycle that gets worse fuel economy than many inexpensive used cars. :p

How is this really different than buying munckin desks or uno... sure the games are like to be faster but I'll but no one is bored watching the person as they draw a card. I say more power to them. They could have done ten dollars but if they fell short I could see them feeling stupid. As to the money hell I'd rather see it go to a couple guys with something that looks like it might be fun for the price of dinner than blow on some elaborate concept that never gets made... really the only thing I'd be worried about is if the cards look cool enough and they come up with enough different cards so that it does not get repetitive...

Says the guy with a motorcycle that gets worse fuel economy than many inexpensive used cars. :p
Suzuki DL650 get 55mpg on 87 octane on average with my larger sprocket... *facepalm*
drakken said:
As to the money hell I'd rather see it go to a couple guys with something that looks like it might be fun for the price of dinner than blow on some elaborate concept that never gets made.
Yeah, but why can't we just go back to the business model that has existed for thousands of years? You have an idea for a product, you make it, and then you sell the finished product. Now the business model is you have a really basic idea for a product, and then get your investors to pay you risk free with minimal time investment on their part to test the feasibility or your product or market study or anything and then they get no return on their investment either... its the most retarded thing ever, and I thought I was the only one that saw that until luckily South Park had my back in mocking it, lmao!

Main thing to keep in mind is just because it shows millions doesn't mean that is what it will really get.

A lot of people back out of these things and they are under no contractual obligation.

Yeah, but why can't we just go back to the business model that has existed for thousands of years? You have an idea for a product, you make it, and then you sell the finished product. Now the business model is you have a really basic idea for a product, and then get your investors to pay you risk free with minimal time investment on their part to test the feasibility or your product or market study or anything and then they get no return on their investment either... its the most retarded thing ever, and I thought I was the only one that saw that until luckily South Park had my back in mocking it, lmao!

People are welcome to use that business model but the new business model allows a wider range of people (for good and bad) to participate in the idea economy ... the old model also favored the big companies who could buy an idea from people unable to fund it or take to successful launch (like instant Jello where the patent was purchased from the inventor for about $1000 and made the purchaser billions ;) )

Kickstarter is pure democracy in action (which is why most people are opposed to true democracy) ... nobody forces anyone to donate in KS and most projects do successfully launch ... I see nothing wrong with this project ... The Oatmeal seems like a stand up guy and he has a lot of fans which will tend to drive up the value of his kickstarter ... I was much more dismayed with the guy that offered to make potato salad on a kickstarter and got a million dollars for basically nothing ... here at least people will get a game

Back