Kicked OFF [H]ard | Forum

Ju$tice

Limp Gawd
2 weeks ago i was having huge problems getting on to Hardforum as soon as i typed in the url it took agers to load then it came up with this wierd page saying Hardforum is having problems with our database. If you have any futher queries contact [email protected]
why would this be happening and god damn it was i relived when on the monday it finally loaded up and it let me back in

I was exspierncing the same problem if you only typed hardforum.com is would have a database error (still is) you have to type www.hardforum.com or it doesnt work at least not for me.

Database errors are small glitches with the [H] server. They happen every once in awhile, and you get used to them.

Ya, has nothing to do with you or anyone for that matter. Just the server gets a lil run down. :cool:

This happens all the time. Usually it only lasts for a couple of hours or so, nothing big. But the last outage went over a day or so and I started having withdraw symptoms.

I wonder if Oracle Express edition (free) would be feature-rich enough for them to replace MySQL....

sitheris said:
I wonder if Oracle Express edition (free) would be feature-rich enough for them to replace MySQL....

If it worked with what they needed, I imagine they would have already done that. Something from peoplesoft is the only possible upgrade and it is exhorbitantly priced.

Correct, no?

Yeah i had a big downer my outtage of hardforum lasted for like 3 days it got really pissed off and started looking for a new forum but then had a look at google to see if everyone was having the problem obviously not as their where not hits so i just played the waiting game

apHytHiaTe said:
If it worked with what they needed, I imagine they would have already done that. Something from peoplesoft is the only possible upgrade and it is exhorbitantly priced.

Correct, no?

I believe there are a couple of software solutions to the problem with that being one of them and the problem with both is that they are way too much money.

MySQL was never meant to have the load that this forum puts on it. It's actually done rather well considering.

apHytHiaTe said:

Correct, no?

Ermm...Peoplesoft is no more..Oracle took over Peoplesoft back last December...granted they still have PS-branded products available, there is no Peoplesoft-branded database. (Which is what I assume [H]ardforum is in need of) All Peoplesoft products run off of an Oracle DB backend.

sitheris said:
Ermm...Peoplesoft is no more..Oracle took over Peoplesoft back last December...granted they still have PS-branded products available, there is no Peoplesoft-branded database. (Which is what I assume [H]ardforum is in need of) All Peoplesoft products run off of an Oracle DB backend.

Peoplesoft is an enterprise application anyway, hardly relevant.. I work with both Oracle and to an lesser extent, SQL Server. I got to think they both would be overkill for a forum database app, but there multiple flavors of each, such as Enterprise, Standard, Express, etc.

MySQL should be robust enough to handle this forum. I would look at whether the hardware is sufficient and configured to handle X number of concurrent processes, whether MySQL itself is configured properly, and whether the application design/coding is optimal for handling large concurrent accesses, before blaming the database itself.

what, nobody like DB2 here?
I think mysql should be able to take it, this cant be more than any other semi-large corp.

no true knowledge though, just a guess :)

a2tz said:
what, nobody like DB2 here?
I think mysql should be able to take it, this cant be more than any other semi-large corp.

no true knowledge though, just a guess :)

db2? Ah, I liken that to SQL Server -- where the archictecture has locks as a resource, instead of as an attribute of the record as the case with Oracle. Course, I haven't touched it ages, so maybe that's changed.

http://www.emicnetworks.com has some mysql cluster software, tho don't know what it costs. Mysql replication is free but the forum software has to support it, some one wrote a mod for phpbb to do it, but I dunno about vbull.

vmerc said:
Since I have a GenMay sub I can't test this, but are you sure that the non-subscribers can see that link? It would be unfair to them to link the answer from a location they can't access.

Odd, I was able to view that link yesterday, but not today. No subscription.

BTW, what is 'GenMay' anyway?

Sorry about the link, it basically said that both Cliff our webmaster and Kyle were both out of touch the weekend the forums went down, a situation that happens rarely.

GenMay

sitheris said:
Odd, I was able to view that link yesterday, but not today. No subscription.

BTW, what is 'GenMay' anyway?

General Mayhem. A forum you can visit when you pay for a subscription to [H].

TeeJayHoward said:
General Mayhem. A forum you can visit when you pay for a subscription to [H].

Hmm...how odd. I was browsing General Mayhem yesterday afternoon (with no subscription)..thought it was one of the regular forums. I now see that it's no longer listed in the Forum index.

sitheris said:
Hmm...how odd. I was browsing General Mayhem yesterday afternoon (with no subscription)..thought it was one of the regular forums. I now see that it's no longer listed in the Forum index.

It was a "sneak peak" weekend for non-subscribers. You got to veiw the main forum but not the sub-forums and couldn't reply to any of the threads. Well worth the price of admission if you ask me.

Kckazdude said:
It was a "sneak peak" weekend for non-subscribers. You got to veiw the main forum but not the sub-forums and couldn't reply to any of the threads. Well worth the price of admission if you ask me.

Hmm..i don't know. It just looked like another crazy General offtopic forum to me. Plenty of those all over the net for free.

No one is holding a gun on you to sign up ;) The subscription fee is a spam and idiot filter of the highest magnitude...it's amazing what $5 will filter out. It gives the computer geek members a place to go and just bullshit without having the thread closed for being off topic or be spammed to death by free members who have nothing to lose. It works well for us. :cool:

sitheris said:
Hmm..i don't know. It just looked like another crazy General offtopic forum to me. Plenty of those all over the net for free.

MajorDomo said:
No one is holding a gun on you to sign up ;) The subscription fee is a spam and idiot filter of the highest magnitude...it's amazing what $5 will filter out. It gives the computer geek members a place to go and just bullshit without having the thread closed for being off topic or be spammed to death by free members who have nothing to lose. It works well for us. :cool:
Are the lifetime subs still available?

Back