Keyboard Service Program

zamardii12

2[H]4U
So, I guess this can be seen as an admittance on Apple's part that these Butterfly switches are failing at quite a large clip. I actually just found out about this today AFTER taking my 2017 Macbook Pro 13 with Touchbar in today to get it looked at because the N key stopped working. The guy told me they just rolled out a new program to fix these at no cost, so if any of you are eligible definitely take it in now. Or, if you've paid to get it fixed in the past Apple will refund you.

The Apple guy told me i'll get my laptop back in 3-5 days because even though only the N key wasn't working they are replacing the entire top half of the Macbook including the battery, keyboard, Touchbar, TouchID... I was rather surprised. They are basically putting in the latest Butterfly switches back in there, but I am not sure if there is any improvement that has been made to the mechanism/keyboard. I doubt they came up with a redesign of the mechanism for this service program, and likely all the problems will be ironed out at the next refresh. I may end up selling this one once those go on sale whenever that is because there is nothing stopping this problem from reoccurring. Even the Apple tech told me he said that they're replacing as much as they are on the laptop likely because they don't even know what's causing the problem which could be true because i'm a light using of my Macbook Pro and I heard others having issues when the chassis would get hot and the keys start malfunctioning, and then once the computer cools down it gets better. My N key simply stopped working.

Anyway, here are the full details on Apple's website...

https://www.apple.com/support/keyboard-service-program-for-macbook-and-macbook-pro/

Eligible models:

• MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015)
  • MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2016)
  • MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, 2017)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
  • MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
  • MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)

If you have the 2017 keyboard already there will be no change. You'll get the same type replacement. My 2016 15" had it's top plate replaced with a 2017 top plate about 2 weeks ago. Even then they were waving the fee "as a courtesy after talking to my manager." Getting a new battery and such out of the deal is nice as it extends the life of my nearly 2 year old macbook.

Shouldn't have to deal with the joke of a keyboard anyway but at least they are addressing it.

Back