Keyboard problem

1_rick

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a Corsair Strafe RGB Mk.2 plugged into a 2-port KVM I've been using for several months. Last night I turned one of the machines on and switched the KVM to it, and the keyboard (mostly) doesn't work. No keypresses seem to register. But the lighting still works and if I change it in iCue (I'm on the latest version) the lights on the keyboard change. Plus the volume wheel still works.

I plugged the keyboard directly into the PC, no change. I plugged it into the other computer, it works fine. If I put it back on the KVM, it still works on one machine but not the other, so I don't think the KVM is the problem. I tried doing a soft reset as specified on Corsair's website--no response (the lights never lit up on the keyboard) but I don't think that matters because like I said, it works on the other computer. I tried a couple of different USB ports in the one computer--no difference. I went into Device Manager and deleted all the keyboard--no difference.

Any ideas? Right now I'm typing on a godawful Inland membrane keyboard and it's killing my typing speed and accuracy.

After a ridiculous amount of Googling (Corsair keyboards have something called BIOS mode that they seem reluctant to define--it's a compatibility mode in case your keyboard won't work in the computer's BIOS) I found a forum page where someone suggested powering down the computer. So I shut it off, unplugged it, and hit the power button to drain anything left in the capacitors, and powered the computer back on, and lo and behold the keyboard works. Go figure.

Also, the keyboard worked fine in BIOS mode before power-cycling the computer, but it wasn't visible in iCue while in BIOS mode. Okay then. Makes total sense.

Back