Keyboard LED stays on after shutdown

The Num Lock/Caps Lock/Scroll Lock keyboard LEDs, which ever happen to be on, will stay lit even after the computer is powered down. They do, of course, turn off if I use the rocker switch on the back of the PSU. I’m using a basic PS/2 keyboard with an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard. All of the “Power On by …” options in the BIOS are disabled.

I tried clearing the CMOS using the method described in the motherboard manual. No difference. (I even tried enabling the “Power on By PS/2 Keyboard” option just to see what happened. No difference. The power on key shortcut I chose didn’t even work.)

I don’t know why this is happening, but I would like it to stop. Has anyone experienced this before? Do you know of any solutions? I assume this is a motherboard issue. Is there any reason the power supply could be at fault?

I think it's a feature, not a bug.

I think no matter what you have everything set to in the BIOS, it will still give power to the keyboard when the computer is off for the 'Power On by..." features. In my experience, most recent computers (P3 and up) do this.

Back