Keyboard backlight: maintenance and reliability for a notebook PC

the_servicer

2[H]4U
What failures can one expect to occur over the years in a backlit keyboard? Will it get dimmer over time? Will the fading occur evenly or in spots? Can a failure potentially affect other aspects of a notebook PC? Does it make sense to disable backlighting most of the time in order to preserve it for the long term?

I am interested in owning an HP Folio 1020 G1 and trying to keep the device in good shape for many years and possibly decades.

Decades?

Seriously though, the LEDs used in the backlights have estimated lifespans of tens of thousands of hours. I'd be more worried about the screen dimming than the keyboard.

I have never seen a backlight go bad in a laptop keyboard.

This is only with Dell laptops up to about 7 years old though. I don't have experience with other brands.

Thanks for making me realize there may be other more important concerns. I may be crazy, but I have heard of some portable computers from the 90s still working fine when plugged in to a wall. Someone on this forum once said one should not outlive one's hardware. My intent is to find a good ultrabook for permanent offline usage.

Back