Keyboard And Mouse Support For New Consoles

Overall no, not that many will use it compared to those who won't. Using a gamepad is really the only reason I haven't played FPS on consoles. The only one I ever did, was BF 1943 because it wasn't out for PC. I fucking hate using a gamepad. Sure I could re-teach myself, but why should I force myself to use an inferior way to play? It is not enjoyable to me whatesoever, and not being able to change buttons to any configuration I want is also annoying. So I stick to PC's for shooters. Perhaps because I am older, and been playing FPS's on PC forever, and am pretty dead set in my ways. The mouse and keyboard is just better, forcing myself to use something that isn't as good, or as fun isn't going to happen.

There may be "Gamepad only" servers, and that's just fine. There are so many configurations people can use to play console games. Someone could be on a 20" CRT TV, another on a 55" HDTV. One of them makes it much easier to see the guy hiding behind something. Steering wheel or gamepad. Stick or gamepad. Lots of aftermarket controllers have extra buttons, or can even be programmed to do multiple macro's, or rapid fire. I don't see people crying about any of those things. But oh no, it must be cheating because it's an "unfair" advantage. It is silly to accuse someone of cheating because they will use this setup. Seems to me they're just afraid of getting beaten by a superior setup.

Forgot you can't edit here. Another example is someone using surround sound speakers or headphones versus someone using shitty stereo TV speakers. One setup will be much easier to hear all the little sounds that help you play, footsteps for example. That's not cheating either. Nor is it an unfair advantage.
I personally think the KB+M is singularly far more significant than any of the other things you mentioned. I'd say most people are on screens superior to a 20" CRT if they own a modern console these days, but really, it's not a massive advantage as long as the FOV is the same. Steering wheel vs gamepad is entirely a function of how the speed sensitive steering is implemented, and in most console games the speed sensitive steering is set up in such a way that you're not at a huge disadvantage for using one. It's most PC sims where they don't fine tine the speed sensitive steering that a wheel is much better. Macros can definitely be an advantage if you have difficult to execute combos or find it difficult to execute combos, I've heard people complaining controllers with macros are cheating as well. Surround sound is an advantage, I wouldn't call it a huge advantage though, I have a surround sound system but I still prefer to game with my headphones and don't feel at any disadvantage for it. If you were using a mono system I could see it being a bit shit, but who on earth still uses a mono system? :p

KB+M over controller for an FPS game is by far the biggest advantage of the ones you listed, at least IMO.
Seems to me they're just afraid of getting beaten by a superior setup.
Ummm, well der? Of course that's the case. People want to go online and play against people of similar skill level which have a system which doesn't afford them a huge advantage over them. They don't want to have to go out and buy more peripherals to be competitive.

People don't perceive all those other things you mentioned as big advantages, they can definitely make a game more immersive, but they aren't perceived as nearly as large of an advantage as going controller to KB+M in an FPS game.

Honestly, if you want KB+M gaming, why the fuck don't people just stick to PC instead of unbalancing the console environment to do it? If you are doing it because you want to play in front of your TV, you must already be using things like lap tables and such and you might as well just hook your PC up to the TV to play against like-minded players.

Hamstringing yourself by using a controller in an FPS isn't a problem when everyone else is also hamstrung by using a controller. That's why people are unhappy when someone tries to hack a KB+M into a console.

Funny he suggests using a Move Navigation Controller with a mouse. When playing single player games on PC, I love to have analogue movement and if the game allows it I would use an XBox Controller with my left hand. The issue though is having enough buttons available for the left hand so it's not always convenient depending on the game.

That's the beauty of XIM, it pretty much allows you to use whatever peripherals you feel comfortable with and the button layout you find most efficient.

I started as a console gamer who went to pc for the better graphics....but never got used to the keyboard but appreciates the better control a mouse gives.

Consequently I use a a game controller for the left hand giving analogue movement and a mouse in the right hand.

Having enough buttons is a problem...a lot of people use the Logitech G13 to overcome that...current versions have an analogue thumb stick although earlier versions didn't and were just mapped to wasd.

Using an unusual peripheral layout can cause problems as many PC games either through flaw or design seem to hard bind certain button functions...particularly to the controller...which can be a real PITAS.....its another reason for me to prefer XIM on a console over PC gaming.....lol.....I've even used XIM2 as an interface for the left hand controller to play pc games just to enable me to override the hard bindings.

Funny he suggests using a Move Navigation Controller with a mouse. When playing single player games on PC, I love to have analogue movement and if the game allows it I would use an XBox Controller with my left hand. The issue though is having enough buttons available for the left hand so it's not always convenient depending on the game.

That's the beauty of XIM, it pretty much allows you to use whatever peripherals you feel comfortable with and the button layout you find most efficient.

I started as a console gamer who went to pc for the better graphics....but never got used to the keyboard but appreciates the better control a mouse gives.

Consequently I use a a game controller for the left hand giving analogue movement and a mouse in the right hand.

Having enough buttons is a problem...a lot of people use the Logitech G13 to overcome that...current versions have an analogue thumb stick although earlier versions didn't and were just mapped to wasd.

Using an unusual peripheral layout can cause problems as many PC games either through flaw or design seem to hard bind certain button functions...particularly to the controller...which can be a real PITAS.....its another reason for me to prefer XIM on a console over PC gaming.....lol.....I've even used XIM2 as an interface for the left hand controller to play pc games just to enable me to override the hard bindings.

I personally think the KB+M is singularly far more significant than any of the other things you mentioned. I'd say most people are on screens superior to a 20" CRT if they own a modern console these days, but really, it's not a massive advantage as long as the FOV is the same. Steering wheel vs gamepad is entirely a function of how the speed sensitive steering is implemented, and in most console games the speed sensitive steering is set up in such a way that you're not at a huge disadvantage for using one. It's most PC sims where they don't fine tine the speed sensitive steering that a wheel is much better. Macros can definitely be an advantage if you have difficult to execute combos or find it difficult to execute combos, I've heard people complaining controllers with macros are cheating as well. Surround sound is an advantage, I wouldn't call it a huge advantage though, I have a surround sound system but I still prefer to game with my headphones and don't feel at any disadvantage for it. If you were using a mono system I could see it being a bit shit, but who on earth still uses a mono system? :p

KB+M over controller for an FPS game is by far the biggest advantage of the ones you listed, at least IMO.

Ummm, well der? Of course that's the case. People want to go online and play against people of similar skill level which have a system which doesn't afford them a huge advantage over them. They don't want to have to go out and buy more peripherals to be competitive.

People don't perceive all those other things you mentioned as big advantages, they can definitely make a game more immersive, but they aren't perceived as nearly as large of an advantage as going controller to KB+M in an FPS game.

Honestly, if you want KB+M gaming, why the fuck don't people just stick to PC instead of unbalancing the console environment to do it? If you are doing it because you want to play in front of your TV, you must already be using things like lap tables and such and you might as well just hook your PC up to the TV to play against like-minded players.

Hamstringing yourself by using a controller in an FPS isn't a problem when everyone else is also hamstrung by using a controller. That's why people are unhappy when someone tries to hack a KB+M into a console.

Yes the kb/m is the biggest advantage over the things I listed. You say not that many people use an older analog TV compared to those who don't, which is true. Same goes for people who will use this device over those who don't, very few overall. So if you're ok not comparing older TV's to newer, then this device shouldn't bother you either.

As others have said, they have friends who play on consoles. And consoles do a lot of things better than PC's too. I would agree that most setups are in the living room, but not all. Take a look at the console picture thread to see how many people play them on their PC desk where they kb/m are already there. This is the case especially in college dorms.

Another user posted that some people have extremely fast internet connections. A lower ping is an advantage, more so than most things I listed. Someone with a 20 ping compared to even a 100 ping has a huge advantage. That's not cheating, or an unfair advantage. I am stuck in Sicily atm, and my ping sucks for BF4. I feel like I am playing back in the day on @home cable with packet loss and higher pings. I don't whine about someone having a lower ping than me when they kill me, and I sure don't expect them to go easy on me. Just have to adapt.

The fact is there are so many variables that you aren't going to get identical setups on consoles. There are aftermarket parts or devices that make things easier, or better. Things that costs as little as $5, like trigger extensions to make it easier to use the trigger buttons. Overall the percentage of people who are going to use a kb/m setup compared to those who don't is very minute. It would be foolish for me to try and give a number, but I think you can agree on this. Consoles are getting closer and closer to PC's as it is, it's only a matter of time. I don't want this just for FPS games, I fucking hated using the gamepad for Uncharted and similar games in the shooting parts of the game. I really wanted Tomb Raider on my console, but after the demo and trying to aim with the controller I got pissed off. It is just harder, and not as fun for me. If it makes my experience more enjoyable, and makes me better, I am going to get this setup. It is not cheating in any way. Everyone can get it if they want, it is not only allowed for certain people.

How exactly does one play Red Dead Redemption, Uncharted, and Killzone on a PC?

An emulator.

Typical PC gamers.

I get owned when trying to play with a controller, so I will spend money to get a leg up on everyone else.

And ya'll bitch about Pay2Win games?

LoL

Typical console gamer.

You are worried that if people actually start using mice on consoles, you might actually have to aim yourself rather than using autoaim in order to compete.

Yes the kb/m is the biggest advantage over the things I listed. You say not that many people use an older analog TV compared to those who don't, which is true. Same goes for people who will use this device over those who don't, very few overall. So if you're ok not comparing older TV's to newer, then this device shouldn't bother you either.
Not many people using a device that gives them a disadvantage is not the same as not many people using a device that gives them an advantage. And again, I still don't think a 20" CRT vs a HDTV is comparable to controller vs kb+m.
As others have said, they have friends who play on consoles. And consoles do a lot of things better than PC's too. I would agree that most setups are in the living room, but not all. Take a look at the console picture thread to see how many people play them on their PC desk where they kb/m are already there. This is the case especially in college dorms.
Then, IMO, you should just accept the device for what it is, a controller based device. It's not JUST a preference thing, one is clearly offers an advantage over the other. If you're going to use a KB+M on a console IMO you're just giving yourself an unfair advantage over the competition. I'm pretty sure any decent gaming competition would ban them for that very reason.
Another user posted that some people have extremely fast internet connections. A lower ping is an advantage, more so than most things I listed. Someone with a 20 ping compared to even a 100 ping has a huge advantage. That's not cheating, or an unfair advantage. I am stuck in Sicily atm, and my ping sucks for BF4. I feel like I am playing back in the day on @home cable with packet loss and higher pings. I don't whine about someone having a lower ping than me when they kill me, and I sure don't expect them to go easy on me. Just have to adapt.

The fact is there are so many variables that you aren't going to get identical setups on consoles. There are aftermarket parts or devices that make things easier, or better. Things that costs as little as $5, like trigger extensions to make it easier to use the trigger buttons. Overall the percentage of people who are going to use a kb/m setup compared to those who don't is very minute. It would be foolish for me to try and give a number, but I think you can agree on this. Consoles are getting closer and closer to PC's as it is, it's only a matter of time. I don't want this just for FPS games, I fucking hated using the gamepad for Uncharted and similar games in the shooting parts of the game. I really wanted Tomb Raider on my console, but after the demo and trying to aim with the controller I got pissed off. It is just harder, and not as fun for me. If it makes my experience more enjoyable, and makes me better, I am going to get this setup. It is not cheating in any way. Everyone can get it if they want, it is not only allowed for certain people.
Obviously not all variables can be controlled to give everyone an equal chance, but it's pretty bloody obvious the reason we haven't seen any official KB+M options for consoles is the manufacturers don't want to put 95% of their customer base at a disadvantage to the 5% who will buy and use it (percentages completely made up, I have no idea what the percentage would be).

Different ping is probably the only thing on your list that really compares to the difference between KB+M and controller IMO. And it's not like "well if different ping is ok, KBM is ok too". Different ping is shit too, you don't "adjust" to different ping so much as you accept it's shit and either keep playing or stop playing.

Typical console gamer.

You are worried that if people actually start using mice on consoles, you might actually have to aim yourself rather than using autoaim in order to compete.
My goodness, you managed to squeeze ignorance, condescension and elitism all in 2 sentences, congratulations! You must be so proud.

Obviously not all variables can be controlled to give everyone an equal chance, but it's pretty bloody obvious the reason we haven't seen any official KB+M options for consoles is the manufacturers don't want to put 95% of their customer base at a disadvantage to the 5% who will buy and use it (percentages completely made up, I have no idea what the percentage would be).

I disagree with this. I think the reason why we haven't seen official KB+M options is that they just wouldn't sell enough to be worth the investment. The Xbox One + PS4 controllers cost $60. Who's really going to spend that much money on an official kb+m just for a few games? I can use a controller for everything on my console. A kbm, not so much.

Although I do feel Microsoft is making a huge mistake. They've lost on the gaming side, at least at the moment, with a less powerful console. If they had an Xbox One version of Office, I think that could actually work out well despite going against the norm of what a console is suppose to be.

Dear console gamers. Your consoles offer the advantage of a closed system that detects or eliminates the types of things we PC gamers consider cheating. We don't want to disrupt your console world, we just want a solution to playing against people that modify servers, aimbot, and wallhack.

I'd happily buy a modern console and shell out $60 for an official KB&M. I would be fine if the connection of a KB&M made it so that I can only play against other KB&M users (assuming there are any).

Regards!

Back