Keyboard And Mouse Support For New Consoles

looks promising. but i don't like it when developers disable comments. that's a big signal for scam and distrust in your own audience.

What's the point? Why not just play on a PC instead of going through all that and the extra cost just to turn it to one.

What's the point? Why not just play on a PC instead of going through all that and the extra cost just to turn it to one.

Maybe you've got a chunk of friends that only console game? I've got a pretty even split among friends who are PC gamers, versus those who only play on consoles.

This seems like a good idea......in theory. I'll wait until someone actually gets their hands on one and runs it through the paces prior to passing judgement.

I owned a XIM Edge and while it was actually pretty nice for COD I could never get it down right with any other game. Halo was one of the hardest to config and was really the reason I wanted it to begin with.

The XIM 4 looks good in theory but it'll probably suffer from the same translation issues with many games and excel at maybe a hand full.

I would let others experiment and not be an early adopter with this new gen.

I had both xim2 and xim3, the xim3 was a very advanced bit of kit...he uses simulated mouse movement and continuous capture of game screen image movement to build a profile..the translation profile...for each game so you get a one:eek:ne ratio of mouse movement to game look movement....this is something way beyond other adapters out there. I'm not using my old xbox 360 anymore but if I do get a xbox one and or a ps4 I will certainly be looking to get a xim4 to go with it.

Typical PC gamers.

I get owned when trying to play with a controller, so I will spend money to get a leg up on everyone else.

And ya'll bitch about Pay2Win games?

LoL

Once MS and Sony can't control who uses mouse support, they'll probably add it them selves.

Typical PC gamers.

I get owned when trying to play with a controller, so I will spend money to get a leg up on everyone else.

LoL

Yeah using a well implemented mouse/keyboard adapter like xim turns a mediocre gamer into a god in console multiplayer...that was one big negative about returning to pc gaming for me.....realizing how crap I am. :eek:

so sad to jump thru hoops just for mouse support

Agreed, also agree with the comment about them disabling comments on the video.

My understanding even from the last round of consoles was that the 360 and PS3 did have K&M support only it was up to the developers to code it?

How about Microsoft forcing us to have things like the Kinect, it would have taken way less effort to just make it a default input selection... Sony and Microsoft should force developers to add support to every title, let the consumer choose which input method is preferred.

As much as these companies say these things are easy to setup and use, they are really more of a pita.

Curious, anyone know if Steambox supports keyboard and mouse?

Once MS and Sony can't control who uses mouse support, they'll probably add it them selves.

It's not just MS and Sony....even though I think there was support for some mouse/keyboard no game developers actually supported M/K use to any extent.

With Xim almost any game can be supported......and while some were more difficult to adapt and gave sub par control others like the COD series gave almost pc like M/K control.

Typical PC gamers.

We can't legitimately prefer an alternate input scheme?
We're not allowed to want to use a controller we're already used to?

You aren't forced to use a keyboard and mouse when you use a PC. Plug in a 360 gamepad and away you go! We aren't allowed to have the same courtesy when using a console?

Also, my cousin has a fused wrist. He can't actually hold a gamepad without extreme discomfort within a matter of minutes. He has no trouble with a keyboard and mouse, though. I know for a fact he'd pick one of these up in a heartbeat.

Typical PC gamers.

LoL

The troll is strong with this one.

How's the hacker scene on consoles? It's unbearable on PC. An unhackable shooter with K/M support is almost worth buying a console.

You aren't forced to use a keyboard and mouse when you use a PC. Plug in a 360 gamepad and away you go! We aren't allowed to have the same courtesy when using a console?

Also, my cousin has a fused wrist. He can't actually hold a gamepad without extreme discomfort within a matter of minutes. He has no trouble with a keyboard and mouse, though. I know for a fact he'd pick one of these up in a heartbeat.

You are free to do it, but I don't really consider it the same thing. Hooking a controller up to a PC, it works as different type of device and can use whatever drivers work. Hooking a keyboard+mouse to a console, you still need to hack or otherwise fool the console into still thinking it's a controller.

Yeah using a well implemented mouse/keyboard adapter like xim turns a mediocre gamer into a god in console multiplayer...that was one big negative about returning to pc gaming for me.....realizing how crap I am. :eek:

Well you might need practice but never underestimate the amount of hackers in PC games. A lot of people don't realize it, but hacking on PC is so rampant everywhere. I'm really happy to see the XIM4 coming to next-gen consoles.

I know it's a bit ironic cause most people would consider it cheating, but playing FPS with a controller is just retarded IMO.

How's the hacker scene on consoles? It's unbearable on PC. An unhackable shooter with K/M support is almost worth buying a console.

+1, get the XIM4 with a next-gen console. This is what I'm gonna do when it's released. Anti-cheating protection on PC is such a joke.

I know it's a bit ironic cause most people would consider it cheating, but playing FPS with a controller is just retarded IMO.

Not as retarded as cheating in order to gain an edge over people using the proper controller for the system.

In short, you get owned by 12 year olds when you pick up a controller and it hurts your ego.

On PC people are easily free to choose, they don't hack the system to use a controller that will give them an edge.

You are not better than the cheaters you are trying to avoid.

How exactly does one play Red Dead Redemption, Uncharted, and Killzone on a PC?

Maybe it will make console games bearable. Last time I picked up a controller, it was like going from a super-bike to a Big Wheel.

Very slick. My Xim3 worked pretty good...the worst part was having to unhook it to connect to pc for new/updated translators. Looks like that won't be a problem with Xim4.

Very slick. My Xim3 worked pretty good...the worst part was having to unhook it to connect to pc for new/updated translators. Looks like that won't be a problem with Xim4.

I was an early adopter of xim3 and was put off a little initially as there was that runtime bug that was affecting responsiveness a little....but understand that has long since been corrected.....I've just spent £500 on a new graphics card so still pretty invested in PC but once xim4 comes out may well get it and a console...it looks really slick...have they got any idea about release date or are they still operating an "its ready when its ready" approach?

Anyone wonder if you'll get banned for using an XIM4 from Xbox Live or PS4?

They can't detect it, the original controller is still connected to the console...sort of passes through the xim.....as far as the console is concerned the controller is being used.

For console exclusives like Halo and Killzone games. Or the many people that really wanted to play GTA V but hated playing it on the controller.

On PC people are easily free to choose, they don't hack the system to use a controller that will give them an edge.
This doesn't hack the console in any way, shape, or form. As far as the console is concerned, it is receiving inputs from a standard gamepad.

That means inputs with this device are EXACTLY as limited as using a standard gamepad, they're just being interpolated from a different input device.

No cheating going on here :rolleyes:

Giving yourself an unfair advantage in a competition is still cheating no matter how you justify it to yourself.

Funny he suggests using a Move Navigation Controller with a mouse. When playing single player games on PC, I love to have analogue movement and if the game allows it I would use an XBox Controller with my left hand. The issue though is having enough buttons available for the left hand so it's not always convenient depending on the game.

Giving yourself an unfair advantage in a competition is still cheating no matter how you justify it to yourself.
How exactly is it an unfair advantage?

All your inputs are channeled through a mock-gamepad, which means the absolute limits of motion are identical to someone using a gamepad.

You're effectively using a mouse, which tells a machine to move an analog stick a certain amount, which is then sent to the console like any other gamepad input.

So unless people using gamepads are cheating...

How exactly is it an unfair advantage?

All your inputs are channeled through a mock-gamepad, which means the absolute limits of motion are identical to someone using a gamepad.

You're effectively using a mouse, which tells a machine to move an analog stick a certain amount, which is then sent to the console like any other gamepad input.

So unless people using gamepads are cheating...

I still think it'd be significantly easier to aim.

You have to be a special kind of stupid to think using a m/kb combo is cheating. There are all sorts of aftermarket controllers out there. Steering wheels for driving, sticks for fighting, etc. If you play Street Fighter with a game pad instead of a stick, it's your fault. And it's not cheating to use a stick.

The fact is mouse and keyboard are better. And if offered, people will use it. I'm trying to be nice about this since it is Christmas.

The fact is mouse and keyboard are better. And if offered, people will use it. I'm trying to be nice about this since it is Christmas.
I don't think that many people will use it and the people who do will make life shit for people who don't, hence why they aren't offered.

lol @ everyone getting so heated because of a mouse adapter for a console.

People that are stupid enough to buy a console and purchase all kind of stupid shit to go along with it will keep buying whatever is thrown at them, let them give away their dollars if they want to.

I don't think that many people will use it and the people who do will make life shit for people who don't, hence why they aren't offered.

Overall no, not that many will use it compared to those who won't. Using a gamepad is really the only reason I haven't played FPS on consoles. The only one I ever did, was BF 1943 because it wasn't out for PC. I fucking hate using a gamepad. Sure I could re-teach myself, but why should I force myself to use an inferior way to play? It is not enjoyable to me whatesoever, and not being able to change buttons to any configuration I want is also annoying. So I stick to PC's for shooters. Perhaps because I am older, and been playing FPS's on PC forever, and am pretty dead set in my ways. The mouse and keyboard is just better, forcing myself to use something that isn't as good, or as fun isn't going to happen.

There may be "Gamepad only" servers, and that's just fine. There are so many configurations people can use to play console games. Someone could be on a 20" CRT TV, another on a 55" HDTV. One of them makes it much easier to see the guy hiding behind something. Steering wheel or gamepad. Stick or gamepad. Lots of aftermarket controllers have extra buttons, or can even be programmed to do multiple macro's, or rapid fire. I don't see people crying about any of those things. But oh no, it must be cheating because it's an "unfair" advantage. It is silly to accuse someone of cheating because they will use this setup. Seems to me they're just afraid of getting beaten by a superior setup.

because you want your 500 dollar xbox one to become a brick because Microsoft bans you for hacking in a couple months.

Forgot you can't edit here. Another example is someone using surround sound speakers or headphones versus someone using shitty stereo TV speakers. One setup will be much easier to hear all the little sounds that help you play, footsteps for example. That's not cheating either. Nor is it an unfair advantage.

Typical PC gamers.

LoL
shhhh I'm going to use my 2500 buck computer to play games on the a specific setting in order to get the clearest picture for headshots on a CRT because of lag. PC gamers seem revel in the idea if you're not cheating you're not trying.

So people who have a fiber line, SLI 780 Ti's and a 4k monitor are cheating? As other people have already stated, it's an alternative controller. Aimbots, wallhacks, etc., allow a person to exceed what's normally allowed in the game. Besides, most competitions only allow regular controllers.

I still think it'd be significantly easier to aim.

I'll admit, my KDR went up by around 1 on most FPSs. Then again, I'm horrible aiming with a controller, so there were people with controllers who were still better than me. It wasn't like I now had a 50 kdr laughing at all those poor controller nubs.

Honestly, while it is easier to use for me, it still doesn't feel like a real mouse. Better than a controller for sure, and closer to a mouse, but something still feels off. And then you have the auto aim features. Not aim assist, which makes your bullets curve if you're close enough. But where the gun tracks your opponent and moves for you. You probably wouldn't notice as easily with a controller, but with a mouse, this is an incredibly annoying feature.

Back