Kevin Conroy Dies: Longtime Voice of Animated Batman Was 66

polonyc2

Fully [H]
Kevin Conroy, the voice of Batman for three decades of animated TV, specials and video games, died Thursday...he was 66...a cause was not disclosed, but he reportedly had been battling cancer

In a statement, Warner Bros. Animation said it “is saddened by the loss of our dear friend Kevin Conroy. His iconic performance of Batman will forever stand among the greatest portrayals of the Dark Knight in any medium. We send our warmest thoughts to his loved ones and join fans around the world in honoring his legacy”...

https://deadline.com/2022/11/kevin-conroy-voice-actor-dead-animated-batman-was-66-1235169980/

I'm not really familiar with the animated Batmans, but damn if it doesn't feel like a shit ton of actors and musicians are dying relatively young lately.

Life expectancy for men in the U.S. is ~74.

Remove infant mortality, car accidents, going to war, murder, overdoses, and other special causes out of the average, and they should be on average living well into their 80's.

It just seems off. Maybe it's the hard lifestyle? How on earth is Keith Richards still with us?

I'm not really familiar with the animated Batmans, but damn if it doesn't feel like a shit ton of actors and musicians are dying relatively young lately.

Life expectancy for men in the U.S. is ~74.

Remove infant mortality, car accidents, going to war, murder, overdoses, and other special causes out of the average, and they should be on average living well into their 80's.

It just seems off. Maybe it's the hard lifestyle? How on earth is Keith Richards still with us?

A lot of people in those fields do live hard lives, especially musicians and comedians. There's pretty rampant drug abuse in Hollywood and even more so among musicians and comedians. Genetics plays a part as well, a lot of illnesses and other things tied to life expectancy are tied to your genes.

Beyond that, (not to get too political) our medical system is kind of broken so things that could otherwise have been minor things that get caught and dealt with become major problems that end up being life threatening.

Beyond that, (not to get too political) our medical system is kind of broken so things that could otherwise have been minor things that get caught and dealt with become major problems that end up being life threatening.

While I don't disagree with that, this applies to the population as a whole as well. And many of the celebrities dying young aren't even american.

Two recent examples that come to mind are Andy Fletcher (of Depeche Mode) who recently passed at 60, and Tony Lewis of the Outfield who recently passed at 62.

Then you have super starts like Bowie who died at 69 a few years ago.

All of these people were UK citizens, and even if they lived in the U.S. had plenty of money from their musical careers to pay for their healthcare.

It must be the lifestyle :p

Overdoses and cardiac problems are certainly resultant from Rock and Roll lifestyle problems, but who knows what of all that can also result in cancers?

Didn't he also do the Batman Arkham games? His voice is very distinctive.....

Arkham and several other games with Batman games in them, not to mention several animated movies. Apparently he voiced Batman over 60 different times.

Arkham and several other games with Batman games in them, not to mention several animated movies. Apparently he voiced Batman over 60 different times.
He is the most prolific Batman actor by far having portrayed the character more times than anyone else and over the longest period of time. He played the part just shy of 30 years. 1992-2019.

This is sad... He will forever be Batman as far as I'm concerned. I loved him not only in Batman TAS but of course the Arkham games. I remember they Mark Hamil once said when he would be contacted about voicing the Joker in a new movie, his first question was always "is Kevin playing Batman?" If he was, Hamil's answer was always yes.

Last edited:
I know there have been other people who voiced Batman/Bruce Wayne but like most people here, when I think voice of Batman it's always Kevin Conroy. When I hear other people voice Batman, the first thing I think when it isn't Kevin is the voice is somehow wrong even if they do a good job. RIP.

I am eternally grateful for all of the work you did on BTAS and the Arkham games, and the world was a better place for all that you did.
Rest in peace Mr. Conroy, you were and always will be the best Batman. 🦇

Man I really didn’t need this right now.

But as it has happened, does this mean they will replace him with Cameron Bowen?

He’s the only actor who could settle the Tim Drake, Jason Todd controversy as he’s played both.

Note:
Because Bruce Wayne Batman is dead.
RIP.

Last edited:
This is sad... He will forever be Batman as far as I'm concerned. I loved him not only in Batman TAS but of course the Arkham games. I remember they Mark Hamil once said when he would be contacted about voicing the Joker in a new movie, his first question was always "is Kevin playing Batman?" If he was, Hamil's answer was always yes.

The Spirit of the Bat.

Back