kernel 2.6.6 and nvidia drivers

brendon2020

[H]ard|Gawd
title pretty much says it all. But i can't seem to compile the new nvidia drivers with the 2.6.6 kernel.

Vanilla, hand-compiled kenel or some distro's kernel with custom patches?

hand compiled. I'm now running 2.6.4 and it runs perfectly with the nvidia drivers but the compiled kernel i have for 2.6.6, nvidia won't compile sucessfully with them. I don't have the error messages offhand since i have to reboot to get them. But i'll write them down and post them later. Thanks.

As the previous poster mentioned, if you've compiled your own 2.6.x kernel, use the minion.de drivers. They will even allow you to get around a custom patched kernel! ;)

Isn't the patch only needed for 2.6.5 and up? I was using the nvidia driver with 2.6.3 just fine but then I upgraded to 2.6.6 and when I went to reinstall the nvidia driver it complained and wouldn't go. If I could get the tv out working on my damn radeon 8500le then I wouldn't even need to mess with the nvidia card.

It worked fine for me in debian, I'm not positive I think debian might patch up whatever nvidia driver they package.

Back