Kernal Power Event 41 Critical error

German Muscle

Supreme [H]ardness
Anyone ever had this issue before? Its not a bluescreen as there is no bluescreen or crashdump. System just shuts off out of nowhere.

It's a critical kernel mode driver error that cause a ACPI call.......... resulting in a unexpected shutdown.

In my experience these are the most likely candidates:

Check the power coming from your power supply with a VOM first and make sure the voltage isn't sagging out of spec.

Uninstall and reinstall your antivirus second.

Replace your SATA cables third.

Run Chdsk on your drives fourth and check the logs to see if anything interesting is there.

I am having this problem with my Ivy Bridge setup. it would either hard hang or just shut down without a BSOD at random times (could be with within minutes to the longest which is 4-5 hours). I have tried:

a fresh install with no drivers: FAIL
a fresh install with drivers: FAIL
2 different HDDs: FAIL
updated the BIOS: FAIL
tried an 850W PSU: FAIL
tried a 650W PSU: FAIL
tested the RAM: NO ERRORS
changed GPUs: FAIL
changed from dedicated sound to onboard: FAIL

and I have no idea what the deal is and how to make it stable cos I was gonna put in a 7850 too :( and it really annoys me that it isn't working right from the get-go!

EDIT: Found out the issue, turns out the i5 3550 wasn't properly secured into the socket but now the new PC is stable and is running nicely!

Last edited:
It's a critical kernel mode driver error that cause a ACPI call.......... resulting in a unexpected shutdown.

In my experience these are the most likely candidates:

Check the power coming from your power supply with a VOM first and make sure the voltage isn't sagging out of spec.

Uninstall and reinstall your antivirus second.

Replace your SATA cables third.

Run Chdsk on your drives fourth and check the logs to see if anything interesting is there.
1) Power is fine, reseated CPU and Memory. Ran Memtest86+ with no errors.
2) Done
3) Done
4)
Checking file system on C: The type of the file system is NTFS. Volume label is New Volume. A disk check has been scheduled. Windows will now check the disk. CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)... 199168 file records processed. File verification completed. 547 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. 0 EA records processed. 60 reparse records processed. CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)... 251688 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered. CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)... 199168 file SDs/SIDs processed. Cleaning up 463 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9. Cleaning up 463 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9. Cleaning up 463 unused security descriptors. Security descriptor verification completed. 26261 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 36960424 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed. CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)... 199152 files processed. File data verification completed. CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)... 16002023 free clusters processed. Free space verification is complete. Windows has checked the file system and found no problems. 312568640 KB total disk space. 248156800 KB in 169527 files. 91976 KB in 26262 indexes. 0 KB in bad sectors. 311768 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 64008096 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 78142160 total allocation units on disk. 16002024 allocation units available on disk. Internal Info: 00 0a 03 00 d8 fc 02 00 3f 95 05 00 00 00 00 00 ........?....... 2c 03 00 00 3c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ,...<........... 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................ Windows has finished checking your disk. Please wait while your computer restarts.

Still get the error.

I also updated the Bios.

This may sound odd, but are you sure you have the right power cable for the PSU? Keeping multiple systems around, I accidentally pulled a different cord for the Power Supply one day for my old P4 system and was experiencing this same problem. When I brought it ton work, I grabbed a different, heavier guage power cord and the rpoblem disappeared...

This may sound odd, but are you sure you have the right power cable for the PSU? Keeping multiple systems around, I accidentally pulled a different cord for the Power Supply one day for my old P4 system and was experiencing this same problem. When I brought it ton work, I grabbed a different, heavier guage power cord and the rpoblem disappeared...

Doesnt sound to odd. Ill get the one out of the PSU box and try it.

Well, either German is happily gaming or he threw his PC out the window, lol...any luck?

It happened again today. I wasnt even on it when it happened and i doubt it was under a load.

Still steadily having this issue. This weekend it got real bad. It seems that watching anything that is flash player triggers it. It will sit there and crash over and over if i keep pulling a youtube video up that is long. I ran a memtest for 8 hours and no errors. I hooked up my room mates Corsair TX650 power supply up and tested it. On first boot it did it before it got into windows. After that it was fine so i did some things that i have known will trigger it like Bf3 and YT. No issues. Tested it for 4-5 hours with nothing but the first boost crash. I removed my AX1200 and pulled all of the wiring out of the chassis and completely rewired it after blowing it out and wiping it all down. I also pulled the power and reset switch off the pins on the board. I think i have tested this before but it wont hurt to try again. When i fired it back up on the AX1200 it did the crash before fully loading windows like the TX650 then acted fine. Anyone have any ideas? Im going to see if it does it any this week on the AX1200 and if it does then ill swap the 1200 and 650 for a week and see how my computer does with my room mated 650 and how his does with my 1200. At this pioint it has to be the PSU or Motherboard id think.

Back