Kepler moved to Legacy support

TaintedSquirrel

[H]F Junkie
edit // False alarm, they have been Legacy products since October 2014.
Apparently "Legacy product" isn't the same as "Legacy support".

Credit goes to Reddit.

---

Seems a bit too soon for that, no? Or does Nvidia treat Legacy drivers differently than AMD?

Legacy Products | NVIDIA

Last edited:
Legacy means these products are not of the most relevance. Still sucks though as it means they won't be focused on providing good drivers for these cards. Well they never really did after 900s release, but now it's official. Another reason to sell your card every time a newer gen comes and use that money for an upgrade.

Well... shit. No point in waiting for massive DooM driver improvements any time soon.

Well... shit. No point in waiting for massive DooM driver improvements any time soon.
Also, what does that say about Fermi (even older)?
Both Fermi and Kepler are still supported by the current Game-Ready driver (the one that dropped for Overwatch and The Division); neither exactly got dissed for either game - especially Overwatch.

Cards being moved to "Legacy support" means they now use a Legacy driver that is no longer upgraded as often as the current cards.

That is *NOT* the case with Kepler. Even Fermi still uses current drivers.

Legacy means these products are not of the most relevance. Still sucks though as it means they won't be focused on providing good drivers for these cards. Well they never really did after 900s release, but now it's official. Another reason to sell your card every time a newer gen comes and use that money for an upgrade.

right?

I tend to be more "loyal" to my gear, and yes, I realize how retarded that sounds in this context...I need to get over it

the manufacturers aren't loyal

Support is not the same as optimization, Kepler and Fermi are supported cards, but not optimized anymore, that's how always work things,you make drivers optimizations for your current generation of cards, those optimizations may or may not work for older generations of GPU however they still are supported in the drivers, this help generally to extend the life of GPUs for certain periods of times when they are refreshed with the same architecture as happened with 400/500 series and 600/700 series,and this the same reason why amd is still improving performance of the older HD7000 series in contrast to nvidia which support the cards but no optimize it anymore, legacy support means that,they will fix issues or functionality problems related to software but nothing more..

Not to worry Kepler users. nVidia is convientently releasing the 1070 and 1080 which are supported properly!

Time to upgrade!

Yet again, people on Reddit originally up voted the shit out of something they didn't understand. Just like how they pounded Nvidia for crippling Kepler performance (when they actually didn't). The Nvidia witch hunters over there went full retard long ago.

The only worse online PC community may be Tom's Hardware.

Yet again, people on Reddit originally up voted the shit out of something they didn't understand. Just like how they pounded Nvidia for crippling Kepler performance (when they actually didn't). The Nvidia witch hunters over there went full retard long ago.

Exactly, main reason why I hate reddit, there are some people that just take that piece of shit too seriously.. they have a feeling of superiority because they can write some slash and backslash sometimes that give a sentiment of some intellect to vote about things have have no freaking idea of what are they talking about, but if it sound technical and hard to understand it should be good and receive a positive vote. XD I just don't understand how someone can waste the precious time of the life in that shit..

Well there was a Kepler bug that was hurting performance, so it wasn't completely unfounded.

It's official, Nvidia will end GeForce GTX 600/700 series support in October

Nvidia is putting owners of Kepler GPU's on notice that effective October of this year, there will be no new 'Game Ready' driver updates, only critical security patches as necessary...this means most GeForce GTX 700 and 600 series cards will not benefit from performance optimizations or gain access to new features, or even receive bug fixes once support comes to an end...

https://www.pcgamer.com/its-official-nvidia-will-end-geforce-gtx-600700-series-support-in-october/

Except this time. Still know of a few people who dumped their 2080Ti's before the 3080 announcement and they remain GPU-less to this day. I've instead opted for my previous card becoming my backup card should GPU fail and we have a market like this one. I got extremely lucky in October when my wife's 970 bit the dust and I could just stroll down to Micro Center and grab a 1660. Can't do that anymore.

Shit almost 10 years old at this point. Time to move on.
That's kind of hard to do when a lowly GT 1030 is going for nearly $200 USD at this point, and the GT 730 is around the only GPU that is being sold for sub-$100 USD.
Believe me, everyone would move on from 2013 tech if they could!

That's kind of hard to do when a lowly GT 1030 is going for nearly $200 USD at this point, and the GT 730 is around the only GPU that is being sold for sub-$100 USD.
Believe me, everyone would move on from 2013 tech if they could!
It was time to move on a while ago. You can get a 1030 for a little over $100 on NE and there is also used which could be found cheaper. If you not gaming then really this move doesn't even matter to you.

I figured this day would eventually come. It's still a shame, given the continuing GPU shortage.

I got one GTX 680 in 2012 or so. Got a 2nd about 6 months later for 2-way SLI. I ran that for quite a while with a 2500K. After I upgraded to a 5820k, I wanted to upgrade to a single faster GPU but that is right when the first crypto-related GPU price spike occurred, so I found a 3rd matching GTX 680 instead for much cheaper and bumped it up to 3-way SLI, taking advantage of the abundant PCIe Lanes on that Intel HEDT platform. I used that until I eventually got a 2080. The 3 GTX680s continue on with the 5820k as my backup computer now. I'm sad to see support end, but in my case it was already ending as they aren't developing new SLI profiles anymore. Also, just because the card(s) won't get new drivers anymore doesn't mean they will stop working. I have a computer that is still using a GTX 470, and even though that got it's last new driver back in 2018, it still works just fine with most games.

Back