Kepler IS Coming Q1 & FF Crystal Ball Stuff

The 6870 was not a smaller derivative of the 6970, it was a completely different architecture (VLIW5 vs. VLIW4)
However with the 5870 and 5770 it was indeed the case that AMD seeded 5770s to developers before 5870 was ready.

Didn't the 6870/6850 release first, just, like, a year ago? So I wouldn't go so far as to say always.

Yes your 100% right there, the reason that was different is because they were done on the same process (40nm) and that process was very mature. They launched guns blazing there with hundreds of thousands of 6850s and tons and tons of 6870s too. Demand was through the roof. Their lucky if at 28nm if they can get TSMC to crank out enough wafers for 3000 gpu's so high end would be what we should expect.

Nvidia sells too many GPU's and if they were to launch the sucessor for GTX 560Ti they better be able to ship at least 300,000 of those mofos :D

they would release the lower end card first if they had problems with the higher end card, gk100. where is the gk100?

Can we come back in on 02/12/2012 and tell you that your gut was wrong :p

That would be awesome though, if they released it next month!

Well I do hope that NVIDIA will release Kelper during Q1, its just sad to release it 6 months late like Fermi, no need to repeat that again do we.

You know I'm starting to think that AMD delaying the 7950 to February may come back to bite them. Who's going to want a 7950 if GTX 680 and 670 come along and kick 7970 in the nuts. Well... who knows maybe AMD will respond accordingly with price adjustments. To me, it's not a question of IF kepler will outperform Southern Islands it's simply by how much. With that said I'm gonna guess that GTX 680 will be about 25-30% faster than 7970

AMD just adjusted their price on the 7970 from $525 to $475. Something is definitely on the horizon from Nvidia.
Price adjustments means competition is near.

Intel does not make "discrete" GPU's. NVIDIA gained marketshare from AMD in the discrete market. I'm guessing you just made this up for whatever reason.

I am not a fanboy of any company and currently own an Nvidia GPU so no I have no reason to make things up. I made an error when I wrote Intel. Intel overall regardless if discrete or integrated has gained market share. Between AMD and Nvidia alone for discrete desktop cards, Nvidia may have more market share but they did lose some to AMD last year. AMD has a greater marketshare in the notebook sector.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/256947/20111128/nvidia-amd-gpu-advanced-micro-devices-tesla.htm

AMD just adjusted their price on the 7970 from $525 to $475. Something is definitely on the horizon from Nvidia.

Yeah, I was kind of wondering this myself. Unless you really need a new GPU now or are a committed AMD customer personally I'd wait on a GPU purchase at this point, at least until CES. If nVidia stays mum on Kepler however which I can't believe they won't have something to say, then going with the 7000s would probably be a good bet.

If the 760 or whatever that is coming out sooner is about as fast as the 580 or little faster, i'am gonna grab this... I play in 1080p and currently have a GTX 460 in SLI, witch is about as fast as a single 580... but i want to get back to 1 card (not that my SLI is bad.. just want less power drain ..)

Intel does not make "discrete" GPU's. NVIDIA gained marketshare from AMD in the discrete market. I'm guessing you just made this up for whatever reason.

He probably payed too much attention to overall unit market share including APUs and not discrete market share for Add-In cards.

That's what i thought to. My bet is that we will hear from them in February. Expect first leaks at the end of January. Price adjustment on AMD's side definalty points to heating up competition.

From everything I am hearing we should expect GeForce GT 6XX and GTS 6XX in Q1, but anything GTX is later in the year.

Didn't the 6870/6850 release first, just, like, a year ago? So I wouldn't go so far as to say always.

They typically try to get the high margin parts out first, but there are a lot of variables, and whatever is ready to ship for revenue will typically ship when its ready, unless there is a really good reason not to.

Yes, I would deserve a thrashing for getting everyone's hopes up :D

You are certainly getting my hopes high... despite my effort to resist it:eek:

I've set aside the budget for a new card this year. If only nVidia would start releasing their cards soon.

Well, I got mail from their PR agency, that on 9th Jan they will have a large conference planned. They will show Tegra, GeForce cards and 3D Vision systems.... but not a single world, if this are "new GeForce cards" or "old GeForce"

Still... it would be intelligent move, to make a paper launch the day AMD does the hardlaunch.

so this thread is all about one guy's guess based on some guy eating powered donuts?...so the OP threw out a date and the guy choked on his donut and from that we get 3 pages of posts?

I was eating some Pho soup last night and predict it will come out mid 2012

I was getting 02122012 just cause it sounds nice 2-12-2012 kind of like a good launch number.

12-12-12 sounds even better as a launch number! Who says it won't come out then? :rolleyes:
Honestly, I'm going with what Kyle said. I'm sure he doesn't want to burn bridges with nVidia, but he doesn't have a good reason to mislead us either.

12-12-12 sounds even better as a launch number! Who says it won't come out then? :rolleyes:
Honestly, I'm going with what Kyle said. I'm sure he doesn't want to burn bridges with nVidia, but he doesn't have a good reason to mislead us either.

what did Kyle say?...Q4 2012?

http://vr-zone.com/articles/rumour-nvidia-geforce-gtx-680-to-release-in-february/14552.html

Their Source

Chiphell http://www.chiphell.com/thread-346223-1-1.html

Crystal-ball.jpg

So Kepler is coming in February, March, April, May, June or December. Nice, we only have a few months left for random guesses!

Well... I've been saying from the start of this thread February. Now Napoleon from Chiphell is also saying this. He has a pretty good track record. I won't say it's perfect. You always have to take this stuff with a grain of salt.

I'm just saying that I've been saying february and everyone thinks I'm crazy and I understand why.

Let's see how this plays out. It's getting intersting now though :D

Well... I've been saying from the start of this thread February. Now Napoleon from Chiphell is also saying this. He has a pretty good track record. I won't say it's perfect. You always have to take this stuff with a grain of salt.

I'm just saying that I've been saying february and everyone thinks I'm crazy and I understand why.

Let's see how this plays out. It's getting intersting now though :D

I only think you are crazy saying Feb when Kyle said he's hearing June. Honestly, the sooner they come out the better because then MAYBE prices will drop and MAYBE I'll be able to afford a new card :-D lol

LOL.

And as usual the Chinese of all people are experts on all things Nvidia :rolleyes:

With all likelyhood anything that originates on a Chinese site is completely fabricated, just like that idiot Turkish site Donaimhaber...

Can't trust their rumors any more than you can their products. (at least their rumors are unlikely to kill you)

Zarathustra[H];1038271369 said:
LOL.

And as usual the Chinese of all people are experts on all things Nvidia :rolleyes:

With all likelyhood anything that originates on a Chinese site is completely fabricated, just like that idiot Turkish site Donaimhaber...

Can't trust their rumors any more than you can their products. (at least their rumors are unlikely to kill you)

you are funny but a bit too racist :D

LOL.

Chef2.gif

Holy Mackrel U a Racis

you are funny but a bit too racist :D

Chef2.gif

Holy Mackrel U a Racis

Not racist at all.

Chinese people have the ability to produce things reliably, not be corrupt, etc. This is shown by Chinese expatriates in other countries.

It's their current culture that is a problem, Having grown up under dictatorship and communism has created a nation in which good governance and running a good business is not fully understood or respected.

Except they could be from Taiwan, which is where all this stuff is made. The guy whose brother works in the factory where they make the chips (or the packaging, or the coolers, or the PCBs, or whatever) might actually have some inside information. The leaks always start with guys in China/Taiwan.

Except they could be from Taiwan, which is where all this stuff is made. The guy whose brother works in the factory where they make the chips (or the packaging, or the coolers, or the PCBs, or whatever) might actually have some inside information. The leaks always start with guys in China/Taiwan.

Sounds plausible, but I just haven't seen any of the rumors starting there turn out to be true yet.

There's no such thing as too racist....if you wanna play that game I say go all the way.

Anyway, the chinese have been the source of a lot of accurate rumours in the past but also a lot of bullshit. The good stuff comes through cause a lot of the big AIB's package their cards over there. Early 3dmark results, PCB pics, retail box pics etc mostly come from the far east.

All I know is I have $2000 sitting in my checking account just waiting to see what Kepler is all about. I'm ready to transition from (2) GTX 580's to the upcoming Kepler series.. LOL.

Anyway, the chinese have been the source of a lot of accurate rumours in the past but also a lot of bullshit. The good stuff comes through cause a lot of the big AIB's package their cards over there. Early 3dmark results, PCB pics, retail box pics etc mostly come from the far east.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Back