[Kepler/GTX 680] Info's in... $400-450? + benches + thermals (56k warning)

120Hz doesn't fill itself... Especially with AA maxed.
I could see it used for 120Hz/3D, but that's a minority market. I would have spent more on a monitor before spending that much on a graphics card, this is surprising.

I like 1080p, that's what I use, but I have to say Apple releasing a 10" tablet with higher resolution puts me back a notch.

I could see it used for 120Hz/3D, but that's a minority market. I would have spent more on a monitor before spending that much on a graphics card, this is surprising.

Agreed. If you're going to run into that minority, for the love of God spend the most on the actual display you'll be looking at before buying $500 videocards.

I use 120hz 1080p for online gaming, and a 1080p 3DTV so these will kick ass for me, aswell as power a 1440p display.

Nice, look like i'am gonna upgrade.. and i'am in 1080p, i don't like to play under 60FPS and my SLI 460 didn't cut it in Skyrim and BF3.. :)

I can't speak for other 1080p gamers, but I don't like to compromise. I hate changes in framerate and screen tearing. I want butter smooth, extremely consistent gameplay, and have no qualms about investing $500 in a video card to get it :).

And the eyefinity market is mainstream? My fancy samsung set me back $600 at release less than a year ago...

Eyefinity / multi displays are becoming more popular, but they are still a minority.

I play at 2560x1600 and it looks like the GTX 680 and HD 7970 trade blows. I never use Tom's hardware for reviews as I find them... well keek, I will put a lot more stock in the [H] review.

GTX 680 looks exceptional at 1920x1080 with the HD 7970 gaining parity at 2560x1600. Now all we need to find out is if the OC potential is there, but OC potential is a lottery.

Last edited:
But factor in better drivers, overclockability, maybe a higher vram version released (think MSI), things can definitely go a different route. As a first release, GK-104 looks great. The 7970 has had months to mature and get a footing, plus better driver releases.

These charts are all wrong...

edbed83f_3-4-330592-3.png

The greens and blues represent different AA, but theres no indication of what red indicates...:p

I hope the noise levels are true (even though this wont mean anything when its covered in copper and water and antifreeze).

Hopfully this means well be seeing some official reviews soon.

FACEPALM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But factor in better drivers, overclockability, maybe a higher vram version released (think MSI), things can definitely go a different route. As a first release, GK-104 looks great. The 7970 has had months to mature and get a footing, plus better driver releases.

1. The HD 7970 will also get better drivers.

2. Overclocking is a lottery, sometimes you get a card that will do 30% and others it will do 10% if lucky. Purchasing decisons should not be based on how much your new card "might" overclock, people who do this deserve to be dissapointed. Look at the [H] review of the MSI Lightning 7970. By your logic since it is MSI it should be an overclocking monster, yet it isn't. Their reference HD 7970 got better overclocks with stock parts.

3. The 7970 has been out 10 whole weeks... hardly enough time for drivers to mature. The GTX 680 and HD 79X0 range will get more mature drivers in the coming months.

1. The HD 7970 will also get better drivers.

2. Overclocking is a lottery, sometimes you get a card that will do 30% and others it will do 10% if lucky. Purchasing decisons should not be based on how much your new card "might" overclock, people who do this deserve to be dissapointed. Look at the [H] review of the MSI Lightning 7970. By your logic since it is MSI it should be an overclocking monster, yet it isn't. Their reference HD 7970 got better overclocks with stock parts.

3. The 7970 has been out 10 whole weeks... hardly enough time for drivers to mature. The GTX 680 and HD 79X0 range will get more mature drivers in the coming months.

Yes of course the 7970 will get better drivers, but like I said, it already has been somewhat battle tested. There are bugs to be worked out and kinks as usual with any GPU release, heck half the reviews / hands on of the 680 show incorrect core clocks and turbo not working so who knows. Overclocking is a draw of luck, no doubt, but we'll have to see what the general consensus is on overclocking it and comparisons based on the general consensus of overclocked 7970s. Don't be so defensive, the 7970 is a great card.

Actually believe it or not, some people are still on 1mb connections and the like. It's a big world out there, expand your mind a little. And to the guy above, Fermi may have been regarded as a failure initially, but it's a really good card. The 480 is a great card actually.

Not at all on perf/watt which i pointed out explicitly in my post :p :)

Now if these numbers are true, then Kepler isn't knocking, it is banging the crap outta my doors :D

Yes of course the 7970 will get better drivers, but like I said, it already has been somewhat battle tested. There are bugs to be worked out and kinks as usual with any GPU release, heck half the reviews / hands on of the 680 show incorrect core clocks and turbo not working so who knows. Overclocking is a draw of luck, no doubt, but we'll have to see what the general consensus is on overclocking it and comparisons based on the general consensus of overclocked 7970s. Don't be so defensive, the 7970 is a great card.

Where was I being defensive? I simply stated both AMD and Nvidia will have been working on drivers for Tahiti and Kepler for countless months, 10 weeks is not going to make a massive difference in driver maturity.

I also stated that IMHO basing a GPU purchasing decision on OC potential is a lottery. I even showed that the MSI lighting HD 7970 is not a guaranteed OC monster. So rather than defending the 7970 I went out of my way to prove it isn't always an OC legend :)

Where was I being defensive? I simply stated both AMD and Nvidia will have been working on drivers for Tahiti and Kepler for countless months, 10 weeks is not going to make a massive difference in driver maturity.

I also stated that IMHO basing a GPU purchasing decision on OC potential is a lottery. I even showed that the MSI lighting HD 7970 is not a guaranteed OC monster. So rather than defending the 7970 I went out of my way to prove it isn't always an OC legend :)

I guess so man. I just took it as a bit defensive with the comparisons but it's all good. :)

Launch driver for the 7970 vs now are actually significant. Some area's 5-10%. A significant amount especially in reviews.

These charts are all wrong...

edbed83f_3-4-330592-3.png

The greens and blues represent different AA, but theres no indication of what red indicates...:p

I hope the noise levels are true (even though this wont mean anything when its covered in copper and water and antifreeze).

Hopfully this means well be seeing some official reviews soon.

the red indicates the card that's being reviewed

Wow DeathPrincess, how are you dealing with all the whooshing sound of sarcasm going above peeps heads? >.< lol

Do people really buy $500+ graphics cards to play at 1080p?

Yes, and it is necessary if you want to max out settings at "only" 1080p in most modern games, even at only 60hz. I have the equivalent of a $450-500 (at release) video card, and I still can't max out a single modern game, even at 4.8ghz/ddr3 1866/etc. BF3 for example, I have to play with all AA off and a few other settings (to keep it at ultra).

If you like medium to high settings or 30 FPS than sure a mid range card will be great at 1080p, some of us want to get the most out of our gaming experience at 1080p :D.

Athlon XP, I would wait a bit until prices come down. They will be very inflated upon arrival and even with hard launches, half these distributors never carry a huge stock. I expect most places will be sold out for a few weeks. This is usually what has happened, but we'll see.

Did you notice his signature? I don't think he's going to wait for a price drop. :)

My guess:

680 = shitty overclocker. with their 'boost' feature, will reach 90% of the OC ceiling. maybe gain 10% over max boost speed with additional overclocking.

toms hardware leak wasnt by accident and ill believe the [H] review when it comes in whether im right or wrong.

OC'd 7970 @ average max oc for most users > performance of max OC for most 680 users!

my 0.02 :D :D :D

and no im not mad i just bought a 7970 a month ago, i have the $ to go out and buy a 680 (actually i like NV better)

just my predictions!

My guess:

680 = shitty overclocker. with their 'boost' feature, will reach 90% of the OC ceiling. maybe gain 10% over max boost speed with additional overclocking.

toms hardware leak wasnt by accident and ill believe the [H] review when it comes in whether im right or wrong.

OC'd 7970 @ average max oc for most users > performance of max OC for most 680 users!

my 0.02 :D :D :D

and no im not mad i just bought a 7970 a month ago, i have the $ to go out and buy a 680 (actually i like NV better)

just my predictions!

lol, oh boy. You're going to be in for a surprise.

I see Newegg has two 680 listed already. Thinking of getting the galaxy for 500 bucks.Was going to get the 7950 but its dam near 50 bucks more.

edit.....its 50 cheaper the the 7970 is 50 more. So what do you all think..7950 or gtx680?

Last edited:
I see Newegg has two 680 listed already. Thinking of getting the galaxy for 500 bucks.Was going to get the 7950 but its dam near 50 bucks more.

edit.....its 50 cheaper the the 7970 is 50 more. So what do you all think..7950 or gtx680?

Wait for more reviews and owners reviews. 2 weeks should be enough time to figure out which to get.

I managed to get an order in for two of the PNY 680 cards on Newegg before the pages were closed down (got the ordrer confirmation and payment confirmation!).

I need two more though for my setup... After HardOCP posts their review I'll decide whether to keep the 680s or keep my 7970s an order two more of whichever seems better for my setup.

I'm running three 2560x1600 monitors; any suggestions concerning which company has better support for surround vision/eyefinity type setups is welcome...

If they are 500 MSRP, I might actually splurge a little more to get one. That is seriously fucking good.

Good things come to people who wait!

I guess I'm going Nvidia. My 4870 serve me will all these years. AMD got greedy with their pricing and I would of bought an 7000 long time ago for 50 bucks less, now they need to drop 100 bucks to get my money.

Back