Kenwood KR-V7070 audio/video thing?

davismatson10

Weaksauce
I picked it up from the thrift store for like $10 a while ago, and just started using it for my computer audio. I know it's kinda old, but I read that it was like $600 when it came out, so I'm just wondering if it still has any value today?

If it works for your setup then it has value. And at $10 that can't be beat really.

Look at it this way, you like the way it sounds and you probably can't replace it for $10. I say good find!

I am still using a Kenwood KR-V6070 (IIRC the only major difference was a new remote for the 7070)-- it was never a top of the line amp but it sounds very good for my uses-- at an apartment where I can't particularly blast music at full volume anyway. I don't think they'd be worth too much today-- just because their big selling point was THX-- they were good for the price but never the "best available".

That said, I've had mine for about 5 years, and still like it and use it and probably won't replace it til it blows up, so... to get that quality for $10 is pretty good (I paid around $499 I believe).

The only thing to watch for is overheating-- my dad had a 6070 that after an hour or two of surround sound (DTS movies did it especially fast) the surround decoder overheats and lets out an ungodly loud squeal. I've never had the issue on mine, but after seeing what his did I made sure mine is well ventilated. Not sure if the 7070 had the same issue but keep it in mind-- don't stack stuff on top of it.

ahhhh vintage receivers. I paid $40 for my realistic STA-65C and I think even that's worth it (although in reality I expected it to be lower, horrible thrift shop). It sounds GREAT. It's in a cool looking walnut case, and has blue backlights.

if you wanna learn more check out audiokarma.org, lots of restoration tips, and lists of good old receivers to look out for.

Back