Kentucky Governor Blames Video Games for Florida School Shooting

The problem is mental illness. A normal well adjusted person can play violent video games without it affecting thier behavior. A sick person however is not the same. Its the same argument for guns. A gun in the hands a normal person is ok, but not the same for a sick person. Banning video games or guns isnt going to stop mentally ill people from doing these things.

but more people are at fault with this than just the kid that pulled the trigger.

Your line of reason is illogical and borderline dangerous. Not to mention it undermines every system of justice the world has ever seen dating back to Hammurabi(google it).

I'm guessing you are of the tide-pod generation?

I'm not American so I could have misunderstood the last sentence but that sounds insane... Pointing a gun at someone isn't a crime? Around here pointing a gun at someone counts as death threat and is quite a big offence. Or is it something like just "local offense"? If someone points a gun at anyone for no good reason they should really not be allowed to own a gun since they are not responsible enough...
I don't know about the rest of the country, but in my state of Florida pointing a gun at someone is felony aggravated assault as defined in statutes 784.011 and 784.021. It is a 3rd degree felony, punishable by up to 5 years in prison. Doesn't matter if it's loaded or not.

If someone has no access to guns he can do jack shit with his intent.
Except slaughter them using gasoline, per my previous post showing historical examples of mass-murders by arson that dwarf this event, and in one case exceeded the Vegas shooting death-toll.

Let's also not forget trucks: the 2016 Nice attack. 86 dead, 400+injured. Wanna ban trucks?

How can people be so ignorant and unimaginative as to think (and post) that firearms are the only means of committing mass slaughter, with so many historical examples of other ways to do it?

The problem is mental illness.
"Mental illness," that is, people who don't want to obey society's rules (and this changes over time, BTW: homosexuality used to be considered a mental illness) will always be with us.

However, government-mandated abattoirs where defenseless and unprotected children are penned up every weekday, waiting to be slaughtered is something we could do something to eliminate.

These killing fields didn't exist when I was a child, and school shootings were much less common and had single-digit body counts.

Except slaughter them using gasoline, per my previous post showing historical examples of mass-murders by arson that dwarf this event, and in one case exceeded the Vegas shooting death-toll.

Let's also not forget trucks: the 2016 Nice attack. 86 dead, 400+injured. Wanna ban trucks?

How can people be so ignorant and unimaginative as to think (and post) that firearms are the only means of committing mass slaughter, with so many historical examples of other ways to do it?
Knife attacks:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagamihara_stabbings
19 dead, 26 injured

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Kunming_attack
31 dead, 143 injured

However, government-mandated abattoirs where defenseless and unprotected children are penned up every weekday, waiting to be slaughtered is something we could do something to eliminate.

These killing fields didn't exist when I was a child, and school shootings were much less common and had single-digit body counts.
Whas it easier or harder to own a gun when you were a child?

Even to this day, the ACLU maintains a double-standard on the very topic of mental health and drug abuse treatment: they are absolutely in favor of treatment programs being funded and expanded by the government, but also doesn't want the government to profile, apprehend, and force potential at-risk people into these programs.

That falls into the very definition of being fucking hypocritical.

Isn't it the consensus of psychiatric medicine that stigmatizing and criminalizing mental illness is counterproductive? Because the more those things happen the less likely people will voluntarily seek help on their own?

I'm not American so I could have misunderstood the last sentence but that sounds insane... Pointing a gun at someone isn't a crime? Around here pointing a gun at someone counts as death threat and is quite a big offence. Or is it something like just "local offense"? If someone points a gun at anyone for no good reason they should really not be allowed to own a gun since they are not responsible enough...

It's possible that there was some criminal act here. Cruz was never charged or convicted of anything, and it would have been a local matter for local police and justice. But hey, blame the FBI.

Isn't it the consensus of psychiatric medicine that stigmatizing and criminalizing mental illness is counterproductive?
Almost all politicians and issue-based organizations, of every political stripe, ignore science when it would negatively impact their fund raising.
The only exception I'm aware of is the Nature Conservancy.

Whenever I see these debates on gun control, it just makes me sick to my stomach. Our country is so divided, and no one listens to anyone else. Seems most are so entrenched in their ideology that nothing would change their view. In this day and age, it seems guns are just like a religion. Don't talk about it, or risk becoming someone's enemy if your opinion differs from theirs.

This country didn't used to be like this.

Reactions: Madoc
like this
Isn't it the consensus of psychiatric medicine that stigmatizing and criminalizing mental illness is counterproductive? Because the more those things happen the less likely people will voluntarily seek help on their own?

Yes. Which was also a driving factor in getting mental health facilities systematically closed over the past few decades.

Whenever I see these debates on gun control, it just makes me sick to my stomach. Our country is so divided, and no one listens to anyone else. Seems most are so entrenched in their ideology that nothing would change their view. In this day and age, it seems guns are just like a religion. Don't talk about it, or risk becoming someone's enemy if your opinion differs from theirs.

Not true. The government has listened and implemented numerous policies in the past to keep guns out of the hands of certain people.

Mandatory background checks.
Mandatory registration of handguns.
Federal bans on certain types of firearms (fully automatic - real "assault" weapons).
Federal bans on certain types of firearms attachments/accessories.
Federal bans on certain types of ammunition.
Federal bans on certain types of weapons (grenade and rocket launchers, etc).
Felons, even those that have served their time, can never legally purchase or posses any type of firearm for the remainder of their lives.
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

giphy.gif

Not true. The government has listened and implemented numerous policies in the past to keep guns out of the hands of certain people.

Mandatory background checks.
Mandatory registration of handguns.
Federal bans on certain types of firearms (fully automatic - real "assault" weapons).
Federal bans on certain types of firearms attachments/accessories.
Federal bans on certain types of ammunition.
Federal bans on certain types of weapons (grenade and rocket launchers, etc).
Felons, even those that have served their time, can never legally purchase or posses any type of firearm for the remainder of their lives.
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

Yes, I agree. I was referring to people discussing this subject, among others.

So my thoughts on this

1) He is a teenage boy... so yeah he's probably playing video games
2) The governor is from Kansas .... so yeah he's probably a dumbass
Your not reading well, Blevins is from Kentucky.
He's also a dick.
He wants to cut teachers police and firefighters out of their pensions and is making the GOP look like a bag of dicks.
That is coming from me, a staunch Republican.

My brother has been driving all over the state to address him at every venue. Blevins is a coward and thief.

That's because Education has become indoctrination. Instead of freeing your mind so that you can make your own decisions, it tells you to think by feeling, enslaving you to your emotions. When kids come out of their government-enforced education programs, many (if not most) of them have beliefs entrenched by emotions, and thus you cannot reason with them. This is why they become locked in to their ideologies, and why many are so unwilling to compromise or even really understand others points of view.

I don't see this changing any time soon, if ever. And when two groups stop being able to effectively communicate or compromise, well... the road ahead will be a bumpy one.

WOW I must have missed the Carmageddon happening on the streets of the US! DEAR LORD THE CARNAGE. Have there ALREADY BEEN 17 SCHOOL CARMAGEDDON ATTACKS IN THE US THIS YEAR?! If so then DAMN we better do something about crazy drivers.

What about the ability to create FUEL AIR BOMBS with gasoline.. DEAR GOD.. Save us all... has this been done 8 TIMES A MONTH THIS YEAR ALONE!?

Your argument is so rife with idiocy I don't even know where to begin.

IF the scales were tipped in your favor for frequency and ease of use... different story... but really they are not. please try again.

Can't really blame his parents, they're dead.

If anything, blame the person at the FBI who failed protocol to pass on the 2 calls they received about this person.

I think the Florida Governor got it right, the FBI director should be fired.

IS there an FBI director? First one is fired, current temp guy is leaving. I think there's a leadership vacuum.

Here's my point in all of this,

Maybe if the FBI would stop focusing so much on Russia and political gain, and do their job, and focus on the rot within, those 17 people might still be alive today.

TRU FACT - There are only 7 FBI agents in the country and they all work on the Russia Investigation.

Correct, this isnt about russia or the President. No deflection found. Its about law enforcement at the highest level not doing their sworn duty to protect people.

Because damn we only have 8 people in the FBI to handle this. Stop swallowing the bullshit and think.

Yeah let's mention another problem because two wrongs make a who cares.

I'm really surprised this non-argument still crops up from time to time. But I'd be even more surprised if even you think it is valid.

Or do I really need to tell you why we don't want to ban trucks? Because they have a practical use, and they're a necessity. Guns in civilian hands, but especially in the hands of people with known mental problems are neither a necessity nor practical.

And let's burn the giant strawman right now that you constructed. Nobody suggested firearms are the only methods of committing mass murder. But it's sure is the easiest way, which takes the least planning and most accessible in the US. Walking into a school with a giant can of gasoline, I doubt you'd get far. You'd be knocked to the ground before you even able to lit yourself on fire let alone others.

Last edited:
WOW I must have missed the Carmageddon happening on the streets of the US! DEAR LORD THE CARNAGE. Have there ALREADY BEEN 17 SCHOOL CARMAGEDDON ATTACKS IN THE US THIS YEAR?! If so then DAMN we better do something about crazy drivers.

What about the ability to create FUEL AIR BOMBS with gasoline.. DEAR GOD.. Save us all... has this been done 8 TIMES A MONTH THIS YEAR ALONE!?

Your argument is so rife with idiocy I don't even know where to begin.

IF the scales were tipped in your favor for frequency and ease of use... different story... but really they are not. please try again.
Yes, those 17 other school shootings that totally were not suicides or accidental discharges that just coincidentally took place on a school campus.
upload_2018-2-19_12-8-35.png

But don't let semantics and context get in the way of your narrative.

Truth be told, some of the anti-anxiety and anti-depression drugs are really fucked up. I knew someone that I worked with (God bless her soul) and she was on some anti-depression drugs, she committed suicide less than a year ago. Some people have reported lots of issues with these drugs. I read about one guy who was put on some and he basically told his family that he needed to be locked in his bedroom and have the door padlocked because the drugs he was put on caused him to want to kill everything in sight and that to only let him out after a week.

These drugs are bad news people and we practically hand this shit out like candy. Instead of trying to actually treat mental issues we hand people drugs and then we wonder why the shit hits the fan.

Either take away everybody's rights or work on fixing the intent.
If we fixed the intent you'd not need a gun in the first place. Because you'd not need to defend yourself from the 0.00001% chance that there will be a home invasion in your home, and you'll be able to get to the gun in time, and drive off the invaders successfully. Do we really need to keep guns for that fractional margin?

I know it is not easy to get rid of guns, but not putting new guns into circulation would be a good start. But I know when someone says "it's impossible to get rid of guns" what they really mean is "I don't want to give up my gun".

WOW I must have missed the Carmageddon happening on the streets of the US! blather blather blather free of any logic or facts...
The point was to refute the idiots says "without access to guns, there would be no mass killings." It's provably false.
F the scales were tipped in your favor for frequency and ease of use... different story... .
IHow hard do you think it is to drive a car or truck into a crowd of people?

I think one reason you see these nutjobs using guns instead of cars may be because the press makes a bigger circus out of shootings, and they want the notoriety. This quest for notoriety can be seen in their social media posts. The nutjob's social media posts, I mean. Well, the press too.

Yes, those 17 other school shootings that totally were not suicides or accidental discharges that just coincidentally took place on a school campus.
I find it odd that there were no incidents from Chicago in your list.
Do the Chicago street gangs avoid school zones when they murder each other for some reason?

Yeah let's mention another problem because two wrongs make a who cares.
You posted to the effect that without access to firearms, mass slaughter would be impossible.
You were just plain wrong, but you refuse to admit it.
This demonstrates that you are not someone who simply made a mistake out of ignorance and a lack of critical thinking skills,
but instead are someone who intentionally and repeatedly parroted a lie to advance your political agenda.

And that's what matters here: how you are perceived in this forum.

If you listen to the whole clip he mentions that video games, movies, the culture in general doesn't put any value on human life, and desensitizes people. COMBINE that with the anti-depressants and other meds people are given might be the cause of these situations. Next time a drug commercial comes on listen to the side effects.

For me and the majority of people in the world that isn't the case. However there are people out there that are messed up and will do messed up things. In his mind what he was doing was justified, no amount of gun control, FBI investigations are going to stop it.

COMBINE that with the anti-depressants and other meds people are given might be the cause of these situations. Next time a drug commercial comes on listen to the side effects.
Oh yeah, those side effects sound really scary. It really makes you wonder if the cure is worse than the disease.

If we fixed the intent you'd not need a gun in the first place. Because you'd not need to defend yourself from the 0.00001% chance ...
Firearms are used for self-defense in the United States millions of times every year. See page 8 of this government report produced by the Clinton administration.
And on page 9: "millions of attempted assaults, thefts, and break-ins were foiled by armed citizens during the 12-month period." That's a lot more than "0.00001%" Now, note this is an anti-gun-rights administration's report, and they find various excuses to poo-poo the estimates, none of which have any scientific validity. But when even the anti-gun government admits to wide spread defensive gun use, it's clearly something that happens.

I suggest you stop making up and posting crap to support your political agenda. It don't go over well in these forums.

Last edited:
If we fixed the intent you'd not need a gun in the first place. Because you'd not need to defend yourself from the 0.00001% chance that there will be a home invasion in your home, and you'll be able to get to the gun in time, and drive off the invaders successfully. Do we really need to keep guns for that fractional margin?
Yes, even if it's 0% chance.

View attachment 54691

Forgive my ignorance ... but what point is attempting to be made here? That those incidents weren’t “mass shootings”? Isn’t it disconcerting enough that that many firearm related incidents are happening in and around schools?

I'm sick of so-called liberals using them for political gain in service to their totalitarian ideology ;)
Liberals this, liberals that...

Liberals, Conservative, Left wing, right wing....language of a divided nation.

So long as 1/2 of the nation thinks it's "unfortunate" for civilians to die by AR-15/M16 level weapons, but still want to circle jerk with their friends and feel like Rambo at the gun range, nothing will change.

I live about 30 minutes from Parkland. A model town where anyone in America would love to raise their family.
You could be Rambo, but who is protecting your children, mother, father, close friends when you're not around? Not the Government, Republican, Democrat, Libertarian or Independents.

The people that think their guns will stop government tyranny are naive. When the Constitution was written, guns were the most powerful force, but that's no longer the case.
Congress already approved military drone use on US soil, so any serious revolution can get swatted down with minutes. Not to mention unsuspecting bio-weapons. They also control the food, money, water and energy.
The guns we buy are for corporations to make money, not to defend against Government tyranny.

Forgive my ignorance ... but what point is attempting to be made here? That those incidents weren’t “mass shootings”? Isn’t it disconcerting enough that that many firearm related incidents are happening in and around schools?
Sure, but the "18 school shootings so far this year" line is being used without context, and people are assuming that the other 17 were mass casualty incidents just like the one in Parkland. I've overheard as much from conversations in public. One death of a man not identified as student or faculty in a parking lot is not the same as a deranged psychopath entering the building with the intent to do harm to as many people as possible.

The people that think their guns will stop government tyranny are naive. When the Constitution was written, guns were the most powerful force.
No, when the U.S. Constitution was written, armed ships were the most powerful force, the WMDs of their age.
And yes, private individuals owned some of them. Quite a few of them, actually.

not to mention the right loves to cut funding for the very programs that would go to help these people get the help they so need.

also this likely did not help at all https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ng-obama-era-gun-checks-people-mental-n727221

*sigh* That was debunked over a year ago. What was revoked was labeling folks who cant manage their finances as being "mental defective." The reason it was revoked didn't really have anything to do with the 2nd amendment, but American mental health groups protecting the disabled from losing constitutional rights because they have a hard time managing their own funds (that some bureaucrat defined as being defective? when there's really no link between this and mental illness?) and using Social Security as the means to do it. Even the ACLU wanted the rule revoked.

I find it odd that there were no incidents from Chicago in your list.
Do the Chicago street gangs avoid school zones when they murder each other for some reason?
Chicagoans probably have the decency to kill each other or off themselves outside of school property.

View attachment 54691

So you're ok with it as long as it doesn't result in students being killed or maimed? So noted. Lets change the narrative then to what you find acceptable how about that?

Back