Kentsfield and Cloverfield to be released Q4 '06

Holy ****! What price do you all think Kentsfield is going to be? I may just grab a P-D 805 to tide me over until Kentsfield!

I think the Kentsfield will be on the "extreme" end....so upwards of $1000. But then thats a guess. Eh, What do I know?

Intel's CEO states that at launch they will have enough Conroe's to supply demand at launch. They will be in the "channels" he said. You can go to the link above and listen to the complete interview at 5pm pacific.

PC Surgeon said:
Intel's CEO states that at launch they will have enough Conroe's to supply demand at launch. They will be in the "channels" he said. You can go to the link above and listen to the complete interview at 5pm pacific.

Yeah, I listened to that part of it too :D!

hmm...he said it outloud..Conroe will be in stock...

If he's lying, then...well.....yeaaahhh that's bad.

So since he's not lying, we better not see price gouging. :p

It has to be the Q2 earnings that brought about Kentsfield & Cloverfields Early release. But I think just as big as that, is the confirmation from Intel's CEO that Conroe will be in full force on THE DAY OF LAUNCH!

Yeah, that's pretty serious too. I'm really thinking of going E6400 and saving the $120-150ish extra I would have spent until Kentsfield, I wasn't going to because of the launch date being Q1 2007 sometime but dang! With it coming so soon they should pricedrop them by the time I was expecting them to even launch :D! Those overclock pretty well, and even with the 8x multiplier, a 425 FSB would bring it to 3400mhz :).

http://download.intel.com/intel/finance/earnings/20060719EarningsFinal.pdf

Now we're really starting to see some progress in the field of CPUs. :D

But how long is Intel going to hold on to LGA 775?

Until they need to change the Socket I guess, I mean LGA775 can handle 130W TDP's. I am not sure there is a necessity to change.

Though with Intel, you have to worry about the motherboard more then the Socket.

coldpower27 said:
Until they need to change the Socket I guess, I mean LGA775 can handle 130W TDP's. I am not sure there is a necessity to change.

Though with Intel, you have to worry about the motherboard more then the Socket.

Yeah, I bet it's annoying to find out that the new chip uses the same socket but you *still* need to upgrade your mobo.

So, I wonder what one could do with quad-core. Encode a movie, rip a CD, run a virus scan, and play BF2 at the same time? Now that would be cool! :D

What do you guys think the next "big thing" in processors will be? It was 64-bit, but that never really got off the ground. Then it was HT. Now, it's multiple cores. What's next?

HOCP4ME said:
Yeah, I bet it's annoying to find out that the new chip uses the same socket but you *still* need to upgrade your mobo.

So, I wonder what one could do with quad-core. Encode a movie, rip a CD, run a virus scan, and play BF2 at the same time? Now that would be cool! :D

What do you guys think the next "big thing" in processors will be? It was 64-bit, but that never really got off the ground. Then it was HT. Now, it's multiple cores. What's next?

Conroe-ready motherboards such as the Asus P5W-DH Deluxe have been reported by people with ES Kentsfields to work perfectly with it (100%). That is a large part of why I bought that specific motherboard :D. I figure I'll sell the E6400 once Kentsfield comes down to a price in my range and use that + the money I saved over buying the E6600 now (I switched my order to an E6400 :)) to buy the Kentsfield, maybe a bit of my own extra cash too. At over $110 less at tankguys.com than my buy.com pre-order was placed at, even if I don't upgrade to Kentsfield in the near future, it's a good deal saved for a still-great CPU.

I think the next "big thing" for CPU's will be Core Multiplexing (aka reverse HyperThreading) to take advantage of apps that don't natively support multiple cores.

HOCP4ME said:

Dont forget you still have hard drives slowing you down. I experince some slow down doing a heavy virus scan and trying to encode a movie thats on the same drive as eachother. (on dual core)

This is hilarious. I guess they got tired of the hype about 4x4 and decided to put an end to it.

The sad thing is the 1066MHz bus. Even if it had a 1333MHz FSB, that isn't really going to solve the bottleneck. There's probably some limit to expanding AGTL+. CSI is so far away for the desktop. :(

PC Surgeon said:

I really don't think Intel would say otherwise even if availability was going to be limited in retail channels. I think it's going to be a sheer miracle if they are in stock for around MSRP at launch one week from today. The demand is just too high and all of Intel's distributors have been showing August and September dates for shipments. BLT is still holding on to their 8/04 ETA. But then again i guess if people don't have motherboards to put them in then they may have a better chance at staying in stock. I guess we'll all see pretty soon what happens though.

Wow..... that will most definitely be an "extreme" processor....

i wonder how many smart ppl with socket 939s and any kind of LGA 775 proc will now just delay their Conroe purchases for 5 months to get a Kentsfied.... might be worth it for the 2 extra cores?

By then DX10 cards will be out too..... anyone planning on waiting that long 5 month wait for Kents/DX10 in one shot?

My friend already has that kentsfield cpu.. he's a tester if you heard of Coolaler.. and actually tested them go check in xtremesystems forums

Asian Dub Foundation said:
taht quicker than i thought it would be! great news... i might as well hold off on conroe for a while

ditto, I'll wait now, that much is sure. ... and I'd surely did so if I had your system, I can tell you that ;)

what if i just want one core thats 4x faster. i dont think it will help over conroe till games become multithreaded (thats what i use this machine for)

PC Surgeon said:

They have some $200 million worth of Conroe wafers inventory already...and that figure goes up every day.

Kentsfield will coexist with Conroe XE X6900 3.2GHz.
From what we've seen Kentsfield will be launched in 2 versions : normal 2.4GHz ( probably around $700 ) and XE 2.66GHz ( $999 ).

savantu said:
They have some $200 million worth of Conroe inventory already...and that figure goes up every day.

Kentsfield will coexist with Conroe XE X6900 3.2GHz.
From what we've seen Kentsfield will be launched in 2 versions : normal 2.4GHz ( probably around $700 ) and XE 2.66GHz ( $999 ).

That's a good point. 200 million in Core architecture processors and yes that goes UP everyday. As for Conroe being sold at MSRP, of course it wont sell at that in the beginning. They will TRY to use the same markup they do with GPU's. But here's where that changes...competition! Newegg will pull the $375 for e6600, but someone like eWiz will trump them a $330 price point. Forcing the gougers to stick thier greedy hands back in thier pockets!

Also what does Intels CEO have to gain for lying to stockholders for ONE WEEK? It's possible yes...but would be VERY stupid!

brucedeluxe169 said:
By then DX10 cards will be out too..... anyone planning on waiting that long 5 month wait for Kents/DX10 in one shot?

That's me. I'm waiting until January to upgrade, Then I'll either get a Conroe or a Kentsfield depending on prices. But that will be dual- or quad-core, Core 2, DX10, and Vista, all at the same time! It will definitely have that "new system" feel to it.

I'm waiting for Vista + DX10 + Kentsfield for my next upgrade.

I had no intention of getting a conroe since my AMD 4800 will hold me over until January. Granted the dual core timing issues drive me up a wall (thanks AMD for a serious issue with your dual cores) but I learned my lesson. AMD 4800 was my first AMD CPU, and will be my last. Thank goodness Intel actually has something decent this time around.

Alright well i just cancelled my pre-order for 5 E6600's from BLT. I'm going to take a chance here on what the Intel CEO is saying about availability and hope that prices are less then the $342.50 i paid. If not then i may just get an E6300 or a cheap AM2 X2 3800+ and wait for Kentsfield. The availability and pricing for Core 2 Duo motherboards is what has really got me pissed off. Asus is charging an arm and a leg for theirs and their not even that great. I just need to hurry up and grab something now so i can sell my DDR memory and this Opteron because i've already got 2 gigs of DDR2 sitting here waiting to be used.

burningrave101 said:
Alright well i just cancelled my pre-order for 5 E6600's from BLT. I'm going to take a chance here on what the Intel CEO is saying about availability and hope that prices are less then the $342.50 i paid. If not then i may just get an E6300 or a cheap AM2 X2 3800+ and wait for Kentsfield. The availability and pricing for Core 2 Duo motherboards is what has really got me pissed off. Asus is charging an arm and a leg for theirs and their not even that great. I just need to hurry up and grab something now so i can sell my DDR memory and this Opteron because i've already got 2 gigs of DDR2 sitting here waiting to be used.

Hehehe! Now where have I heard that before?

Donnie27 said:
Hehehe! Now where have I heard that before?

I don't know but i've been looking to grab an LGA775 Core 2 board for several weeks now and the ones that are out aren't that great and the prices are ridiculous. I like the Asus P5W DH but i'm not gonna pay $270 for it. I was going to get these 5 E6600's and keep one for myself and sell the other four for a small profit but if they are priced around $350 or less at launch i'm not gonna make any profit. I was banking on the fact that availability would be scarce for the first few weeks because then people would pay a premium to have one now but i dont think i'm gonna chance it now cause it might go ither way. I wish BLT would of let my order for 5 E6600's at $320.92 go through the other night but they cancelled that one because they said it was a pricing error.

DruSi3r said:
what if i just want one core thats 4x faster. i dont think it will help over conroe till games become multithreaded (thats what i use this machine for)

OMG!! NEWS FLASH!!!

YOU CAN DO MORE WITH YOUR COMPUTER THEN JUST GAME!!​

[EDIT - TYPO]
Quad core isn't being aimed at gamers. Intel knows games barely use 2 cores, do you think they give 2 craps ?

Also, Intel is not making anhy more money if places like newegg.com gouge the prices - Intel sells the CPU's in bulk at X price - it is the stores pockets who get bigger when they gouge, so dont make it seem like it is Intel screwing you over if you see high prices.

MrGuvernment said:
Quad core is being aimed at gamers.

Huh ? Kentsfield is advertised as a multimedia powerhouse with workstations being its target.

Conroe XE 3.2 is aimed at gamers.

Hmm looks like I may end up going from a Pentium D 3.2 to a Quad-Core Kentsfield. :D

The Doc said:
Hmm looks like I may end up going from a Pentium D 3.2 to a Quad-Core Kentsfield. :D

No you won't, because when quad-core is release, 8-core will be announced, and you'll want to wait again. ;)

savantu said:
Huh ? Kentsfield is advertised as a multimedia powerhouse with workstations being its target.

Conroe XE 3.2 is aimed at gamers.

my bad, typo :d "isnt" :)

burningrave101 said:
I don't know but i've been looking to grab an LGA775 Core 2 board for several weeks now and the ones that are out aren't that great and the prices are ridiculous. I like the Asus P5W DH but i'm not gonna pay $270 for it. I was going to get these 5 E6600's and keep one for myself and sell the other four for a small profit but if they are priced around $350 or less at launch i'm not gonna make any profit. I was banking on the fact that availability would be scarce for the first few weeks because then people would pay a premium to have one now but i dont think i'm gonna chance it now cause it might go ither way. I wish BLT would of let my order for 5 E6600's at $320.92 go through the other night but they cancelled that one because they said it was a pricing error.

I meant that I've heard myself saying the very same thing:) I have a hard time paying Prime dollars for Budget Chip Set/Motherboards. I agree 100% with you about the boards. That's after I had a chance to get the Asus P5B DH for $220 and free shipping, IMHO, that's a BS price for a Budget board.

That Gigabyte board looks like an OEM board, doesn even ship with an Backplate USB bracket:(. $142 is too much to ask for this thing. It's going to be very hard but I'll wait until after I get back from Germany to upgrade. MWave will get stock of the Plain Jane Asus i965 for $131, that's as close to a sensable choice as any.

I cancelled my Conroe order with Tankguys. Though I might get a PSU to finish out the case.

I believe Unreal Tournament 2007 is multithreaded, is it not?

That'll be the first big game I can think of off of the top of my head that might make a kentsfield worth buying for gaming alone.

MrWizard6600 said:
a dude who posted it in a forum. without a link or any proof...

no thanks

usually you would quote like I did here, so people know who you are talking about.

Back