KEF X300A best 2 way computer speakers?

SH1

[H]ard|Gawd
These are ranked as the best 2 way "computer speakers" ? Someone said they are a level above the B&W MM-1 for example.

Anyone know if they are magnetically shielded? (Nothing about it on KEF site I could find for X300A, whereas it's listed as a feature for their C series speakers, so I'm thinking X300A are probably not shielded...)

In regards to speakers designed with PC as the primary output source? Maybe, since the KEF' are designed more like powered studio monitors (each speaker is active, bi-amped, active filters.)

There other options, too, like the Vanatoo Plus or Aperion Allaire.

However, there are various options in the Studio Monitor world that will (more than likely) outperform these pieces, yet still be cheaper; with with regards to the X300a in particular. Connecting them to your computer will require separate cables though.

They are indeed magnetically shielded.

In regards to speakers designed with PC as the primary output source? Maybe, since the KEF' are designed more like powered studio monitors (each speaker is active, bi-amped, active filters.)

There other options, too, like the Vanatoo Plus or Aperion Allaire.

However, there are various options in the Studio Monitor world that will (more than likely) outperform these pieces, yet still be cheaper; with with regards to the X300a in particular. Connecting them to your computer will require separate cables though.

They are indeed magnetically shielded.

Thank you heflys20. Are you saying the X300A is shielded or were you referring to studio monitors?

I had wanted to use studio monitors before picking up the MM-1s, but all the ones I heard at the store and the one I tried at home had a low pitched drone. This was a few years back though and it might be time to look again...

Thank you heflys20. Are you saying the X300A is shielded or were you referring to studio monitors?

I had wanted to use studio monitors before picking up the MM-1s, but all the ones I heard at the store and the one I tried at home had a low pitched drone. This was a few years back though and it might be time to look again...

Yes, the X300a is magnetically shielded. Can't really comment on overall monitor hiss, but it appears to be prominent in a number of active speakers.

My JBL LSR305' make a slight a hiss, but it's only noticeable if I'm real close.

It seems like "PC speakers" is being defined merely as powered speakers that *exclusively* have 3.5mm minijack input? Studio monitors are designed primarily to be used in front of PCs as well, albeit most only have TRS/RCA inputs, although a few have minijack inputs as well, just not "exclusively."

It seems like "PC speakers" is being defined merely as powered speakers that *exclusively* have 3.5mm minijack input? Studio monitors are designed primarily to be used in front of PCs as well, albeit most only have TRS/RCA inputs, although a few have minijack inputs as well, just not "exclusively."

I like to see people losing their minds the moment they see balanced/unbalanced audio connectors as if they are rocket science. Just get either a 3.5mm TRS to 2x 1/4" or a pair RCA to 1/4" unbalanced TS cables and be done with.

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Cable-CM...1434641364&sr=1-1&keywords=3.5mm+to+1+4+cable

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Cable-CP...d=1434641374&sr=1-1&keywords=rca+to+1+4+cable

Anyway, unless you have acoustic treatments in your room which I highly doubt, you shouldn't really look a pair of JBL LSR305s which are designed specifically to sound great in any listening environment. They like the greatest deal in audio ever.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back