Keeping your parts dust free. (need tips)

I use furnace filters and cut them to fit inside the front plate of the case. Works great.

On my antec superlanboy i put both of the 2 120mm fans to blow air out. This way the dust can barley get in and any dust that does get in gets blown out. Right now looking at i have some dust (very little) building up on my zalman amd 64 heatsink. Temps are pretty good i guess, 36C cpu winchester. ;)

I dunno if Shoney answered it, and if he did, I didnt see it....
So where did you get that corner desk? its SEXY
With desks, mines always full of dust. I dont really mind it all that much, mostly because usually I am too lazy to clean if off, and its basically just a pain in the neck. Thanks God for dust! :mad:

feigned said:
A 30psi airline will work so much better that some pansy ass overpriced can of air.

Except for the moisture from your compressor tank, sure.

Lord of Shadows said:
Moisture isnt a problem really, assuming you empty / recompress the air before you use it.

What did you read that makes you think air from a compressor (even a properly emptied one) doesn't contain condensation?

board2death986 said:
lmao good to know it wasn't just me and my dumb friends trying that, we messed around with our hands and a few flys and i got home and freeze dried a spider that was getting his web too close to my computer :D HAHAHAHAH, taught him not to fuck around with my workstation

Dude, I'd love to rape those bastards with the air can, did you just turn the can upside down and spray?

Now that we are on the subject... when I worked at a camera store long ago - we would take a fuji 35mm film canister (works best with fuji due to the tight seal the cap makes), turn the can of air upside down and spray into the canister allowing just a splash of liquid to get in there, then cap it.... and toss it/roll it across the store near someone. Pressure would build up and blow the cap off - it would sound like a mild firecracker. Too much fun. Of course most of you probably haven't bought a roll of film in 7 or 8 years... :)

mikeblas said:
What did you read that makes you think air from a compressor (even a properly emptied one) doesn't contain condensation?

lol, I have an air compressor, if you let air sit in it and spray air onto you hand it will be noticeably "wetter" than if you empty/refill the thing. If that isnt enough you could get down and release the little water valve thing and/or put a water seperator on it if you have one. (I have two but never use the things when cleaning out the compy)

Lord of Shadows said:
lol, I have an air compressor, if you let air sit in it and spray air onto you hand it will be noticeably "wetter" than if you empty/refill the thing. If that isnt enough you could get down and release the little water valve thing and/or put a water seperator on it if you have one. (I have two but never use the things when cleaning out the compy)

I have an air compressor, too. And knowing the water content of the emitted air, I would never use it to spray electronics.

Do you have a refrigerant-based seperator, or just a filter? I've never used a refrigerant-based line drier, but I haven't found a filter that gets rid of enough moisture to make me comfortable with spraying it into a computer.

I just have some plain old water seperators for use with spray painting (somewhere). I've never feared spraying out my case though and havent had any problems by doing so.

i've used an air compressor to dust off stuff for years. Never a problem.

Boozer said:
hey i forgot about that. my scuba tank is half full. do you use the smaller gun tank directly? or the scuba tank? i have a 48ci 3000, should do the trick. all the same. good idea sir!

I use my 70/4500 directly.

I have heard that keeping positive air pressure in your case is a good way to keep the dust low, IOW, more air going in than coming out. That way dust wont get sucked in all of the cracks that aren't filtered.

Avalonthas said:
The canned "air" shoots out like a liquid nitogen type freezing stuff when u turn ti upside down, atleast the air here in Toronto does it. Its neat to catch spiders with cuz it freezes them to the wall.....crule but interesting.....weird sensation when u try it on ur skin too however dont put it on ur skin for too long duration in a single spray because it will get frost bite and will die off, and it will either hurt or look bad :p I recommned the 4 second rule if u can stand it for that long, it gets hecca cold

It's probably not liquid nitrogen, but rather liquid ....wait for it....air. Any gas under pressure can be liquified. That's how they fit so much air into one can is by having under so much pressure. The same pressurizing that keeps it liquid also removes heat which is why it will come out as a freezing liquid if upside down. (Novice physics knowledge here, if there's some inaccuracy, please feel free to correct me).

I use an air compressor to blow the dust out of my computer and NEVER have had a single problem with condensation. I also have a line dryer installed that removes most condensation, but I dont think I have ever heard of condensation being so bad that it would actually blow enough water onto your mobo causing it to short. Besides, most companies out there use air compressors to clean their products(ive even seen computer repair shops use compressors (some use liquid nitrogen too<-- very dry air).

Just properly maintain your air compressor and you wont run into any problems.

Ps. I have a Porter Cable 15gal. 4hp OIL-LESS(important, oil vapors from oiled pistons may mix with your compressed air causing whatever you are blowing off to get a VERY small coating of oil on it.) And like I said I have a condensation filter inline too.

Cheers! :)

Werent people saying a while back that you shouldnt cuse the air compressors and use the canned air because just plain air moving over the components at those speeds produces static and what not??

Air compressor is the way to go, just make sur it isn't one of those jobbies that will blow capacitors off the board rather than the dust :p

I've also used an air compressor on PC's and PC parts for years with no problems. No condensation. No static damage.

No worries. :)

Don't you guys turn off your computer when you dust it out? I don't see how the water from an air compressor is that bad unless you keep your computer running and try and dust it off. What little water that gets sprayed out usually just dries up pretty quickly even in the most humid of places.

Rix2357 said:
What little water that gets sprayed out usually just dries up pretty quickly even in the most humid of places.

When the water evaporates, what does it leave behind? Does it corrode anything while it's still sitting there?

TVersetti said:
I dunno if Shoney answered it, and if he did, I didnt see it....
So where did you get that corner desk? its SEXY
With desks, mines always full of dust. I dont really mind it all that much, mostly because usually I am too lazy to clean if off, and its basically just a pain in the neck. Thanks God for dust! :mad:

I bought it at office depot last year, I would of got a regular one but my room is soo cramped cause i wanted a full sized bed.

Back