Keeping your parts dust free. (need tips)

shoney

Limp Gawd
In all these pictures that I've seen here everyone seems to have their parts in their case absolutely dust free. My case is definetly not like that, it's full of dust. How do you keep your parts so clean?

Very simple.

Take pics before you turn on your system for the first time. <edit>These pics are NOT of my own systems. They are both customer's systems. </edit>

dirtyfan2a.jpg

dirtyfan4.jpg

I clean my machine once a week, I'm a neat freak when it comes to my hardware.

I have to deal with enough clogged computers when I work on other peoples computers, it motivated me NOT to let dust settle in my machine.

Try buying some compressed air at staples or something. Oh, and you have to be 18 for that, they do card. (At least where I live). Yeah, so just dust it out every once in a while, or daily if you're that into dusting.

id stick some dryer sheets infront of your fans. No matter what people say, these things keep your case amazingly clean, and dont need to be cleaned very much at all. Not to mention they smell fresh ;) .

lol mine isn't that bad like yours sarver. I'll try the compressed air, Is there some special way to do it or something that shouldn't be sprayed?

here is one of my pics from a couple of months ago:

comppic2small.jpg

hmm if you really wana aim for clean you can get foam (the kind used for filtering) and set them up to filter your pc's air, also alot of guys don't realize that dusting the room your machines are in would help too XD

is that a sonata i see? i have the same case and i get some dust in it, especially my vga fan, thats so dusty, if you open my case, you can see a thin layer of dust settled on the bottom, just whipe that clean so it wont ever fly up into a fan.

where is your case in your room? on the of a table? under a desk?\

and SarverSystems.... have you been shredding your poo again?

EhJayKim said:
Try buying some compressed air at staples or something. Oh, and you have to be 18 for that, they do card. (At least where I live). Yeah, so just dust it out every once in a while, or daily if you're that into dusting.
That sucks. Must have been because of that "Dust Off" fiasco where that sheriff's kid died.

0810 said:
is that a sonata i see? i have the same case and i get some dust in it, especially my vga fan, thats so dusty, if you open my case, you can see a thin layer of dust settled on the bottom, just whipe that clean so it wont ever fly up into a fan.

where is your case in your room? on the of a table? under a desk?\
pcsetup1small.jpg

try cleaning up your house. Keep the computer up off the floor (at least I think that helps). And yes take a can of air and blow the thing out every now and then. I never have more than a very thin layer of dust if I go inside my case. I built a dual P3 machine the parents a long time ago - I might go there once a year and I open it up and it's never very dusty - just a light/thin layer. It's kept off the floor and my mom cleans/dusts the house a lot. I've had people bring me computers to work on that looked like the pictures posted. It's gross - most of the time they smell like smoke too... brown smoky stink

shoney, that's a terribly classy looking desk. if you don't mind me asking, where'd you get it?

my girlfriend is looking for a desk, and she'd really like something like that.

also, when i clean my case out-- i have a little knockoff "shark" vacuum, that i have running while i clean (10' hose) so that when i blow dirt out, it gets sucked up instead of blowing all over the room

EhJayKim said:

You're kidding right? Why do they need to card people for cans of air? I am missing something here? But yeah a can of air works great, just keep it level, too much tilt and it will spray liquid as well :eek:

Imitation said:
You're kidding right? Why do they need to card people for cans of air? I am missing something here? But yeah a can of air works great, just keep it level, too much tilt and it will spray liquid as well :eek:

Apparently kids think huffing it is cool. :confused: Atleast a few have died from it so now they have an age minimum to purchase.

TheMostWantedPolishTwin said:
well..having filters on intake fans does help.. apart from that - it totally depends on how dusty your place is...
I agree, filters help a lot. It's a lot easier to clean a filter than cleaning your entire computer.

Imitation said:

yah, people are getting high off that stuff but most don't realize that it's not just air, but many other deadly chemicals. i actually read that in the paper a few weeks back.
:p

TheJackal said:
yah, people are getting high off that stuff but most don't realize that it's not just air, but many other deadly chemicals. i actually read that in the paper a few weeks back.
:p

Well leave it to a few screw heads to ruin things for everyone, not like I'm gonna miss them when they die from sniffing poison.

Natural Selection. :rolleyes:

I keep my computer on my floor (carpet), however I vacuum once a week, and completely dust my room every 2 weeks. I don't have too much trouble with dust in my computer, I'll clean it maybe once every 2 months. It's really not bad at all.

Keep the canned air upright. My little brother tried cleaning his out one day before asking me about it and he held the can up-side-down with the computer on.....water type stuff comes out if you do that. Fried the entire computer.

I am 26, 6' 8" and 422lbs....with a beard....and I get carded at Wal-Mart when I buy canned air. Here in Minnesota you now have to go to the Pharmacist and ask for anything that contains pseudofed, and you will get carded and your info will get copied into their tracking system. Not a big deal, just a nuesence.

A 30psi airline will work so much better that some pansy ass overpriced can of air.

Ask you dad if any of his buddies could be troubled to let you use their compressed air tank. I just bring mine in to work on an odd weekend and spray it out with the line that runs down the wall. I usually try to reseat the heatsink when I do this...

But yeah, compressed air should work. A bit of rubbing alcohol for any caked up stuff or 100% isopropyl for the nasty shit like what Sarver had. :eek:

By dad is against anything to do with me and computers. He wouldn't help, I'll go around and ask my friends dads. I don't understand why he is against computer when he works as an engineer at seagate...
... Anyways I got a new case today and while I'm moving everything to the new case I'll dust it off with compressed air.

Hey Tiny I live in MN too, do they seriously check that much? Maybe you could get me a can. I feel like i'm asking you for alcohol or something :( and I'll i'm trying to do is clean up my PC.

shoney said:
By dad is against anything to do with me and computers. He wouldn't help, I'll go around and ask my friends dads. I don't understand why he is against computer when he works as an engineer at seagate...
... Anyways I got a new case today and while I'm moving everything to the new case I'll dust it off with compressed air.

Hey Tiny I live in MN too, do they seriously check that much? Maybe you could get me a can. I feel like i'm asking you for alcohol or something :( and I'll i'm trying to do is clean up my PC.

So far Wal-Mart and Target check, but the one time I bought it at CompUSA off of France Ave, they didn't check. I can understand your dad not wanting to deal with computers, it is like mechanics not wanting to work on their own car, and bakers not wanting to cook when they get home. He does let you get in on the employee discount though right?

laminate EVERYTHING!!... no, i usually dust out ever month or two, at that it doesnt really get dusty. with all the fans im surprised. the only way to keep it dust free is with the dust cans i think

I end up using a remote line hooked up to one of my paintball HPA tanks (and my tanks are filled with compressed air from a scuba tank). Nice, dry air that gets my computer clean quick.

Tiny said:
So far Wal-Mart and Target check, but the one time I bought it at CompUSA off of France Ave, they didn't check. I can understand your dad not wanting to deal with computers, it is like mechanics not wanting to work on their own car, and bakers not wanting to cook when they get home. He does let you get in on the employee discount though right?

Usually all the mail in rebates at bestbuy or newegg make it cost less than the employee discount. He told me to wait on getting a new HD though cause they are coming out with something new this winter.

shoney said:
Usually all the mail in rebates at bestbuy or newegg make it cost less than the employee discount. He told me to wait on getting a new HD though cause they are coming out with something new this winter.

Oh cool. I was going to get new HDDs, but I will wait now. :D

Timmee said:
I end up using a remote line hooked up to one of my paintball HPA tanks (and my tanks are filled with compressed air from a scuba tank). Nice, dry air that gets my computer clean quick.

hey i forgot about that. my scuba tank is half full. do you use the smaller gun tank directly? or the scuba tank? i have a 48ci 3000, should do the trick. all the same. good idea sir!

shoney said:
He told me to wait on getting a new HD though cause they are coming out with something new this winter.
??? can you get more info out of him for us???

Its probably something minimal and unnoticeable, but hey it's something new and this is when the employee discount pays off. The store and internet sites have these for high prices but not the employees

shoney said:

A bestbuy employee, somebody who makes barely over minimum wage, has secret information on technology that nobody else knows huh?

moralpanic said:
A bestbuy employee, somebody who makes barely over minimum wage, has secret information on technology that nobody else knows huh?

Scroll up, you missed a few posts. His dad works at Seagate, someone asked if he got employee discount. He then said that the rebates at BB or Newegg make it cheaper than employee discount. His dad works at Seagate, not Best Buy, hence the inside info on HDD.

Tiny said:
Keep the canned air upright. My little brother tried cleaning his out one day before asking me about it and he held the can up-side-down with the computer on.....water type stuff comes out if you do that. Fried the entire computer.

The canned "air" shoots out like a liquid nitogen type freezing stuff when u turn ti upside down, atleast the air here in Toronto does it. Its neat to catch spiders with cuz it freezes them to the wall.....crule but interesting.....weird sensation when u try it on ur skin too however dont put it on ur skin for too long duration in a single spray because it will get frost bite and will die off, and it will either hurt or look bad :p I recommned the 4 second rule if u can stand it for that long, it gets hecca cold

lmao good to know it wasn't just me and my dumb friends trying that, we messed around with our hands and a few flys and i got home and freeze dried a spider that was getting his web too close to my computer :D HAHAHAHAH, taught him not to fuck around with my workstation

Fan filters do certainly help keep the dust to a minimun. The two filters I got on my computer case need cleaning about once a month but that is better then cleaning out the insides. :D

Back