Keeping pc on all the time.

UberPooner

Limp Gawd
Hi, i was wondering if it is ok to keep your pc on all the time, i do. but i do have a screensavor that turns on after like 5 min then after like a few more minutes the monitor shuts off, but the fans are on all the time. do you think thats ok?

I think most people probably do leave theirs on. Mine and the wife's have been on for as long as we've owned these computers. If you feel bad about your fans you could always get spares or maybe a fan controller.

If you've an Active-PFC Power supply, your computer will be using about 90 watts idle and about 250 at desktop, (at least.. mine does) from the wall socket, however MANY MANY more if doing anything but.

I frankly never turn my computers off, though it's probably awful for the energy bill :p

ok cool, thanks for the replies. i was just worried it might dmg the parts but i guess it doesnt. also another reason i dont turn it off is cus my stupid mobo fan always locks up and i have to get a stick and start spinning it before it goes on its own. its a nub.

I also leave my computer on at all time, unless there's a good reason not to, ie a lightening storm. The only other time it gets shut down is when I'm going to add any components, like fans or hardware. I've never had problems with it, and I think it actually is good for your computer to not shut it down all the time. There are 3 computers running 24/7 in my apartment.

You should think more along the lines of

"Is there a good reason why I SHOULD leave my computer switched on."

The planets heating up, and the oceans are turning to acid all because of our CO2 being pumped into the atmosphere to keep all these computers on.

Now I know some people say, oh computer components under strain at boot up, lower life expectance blah blah blah. Its hardly something your likely to notice. You'll use your computer for 5 years max, and buy a new one.

If your not using your computer the least you can do is turn the damn monitor off. All those little orange and red lights on monitors and tv's all over the world are killing the planet!

UberPooner said:
my stupid mobo fan always locks up and i have to get a stick and start spinning it before it goes on its own.

The fan on my video card does that. I usually don't notice until I start doing some gaming. So, leaving it on just keeps it running.

i leave mine on for a couple days at a time.....i like to restart every once and a while because games get a little jumpy if i dont.

UberPooner said:
ok cool, thanks for the replies. i was just worried it might dmg the parts but i guess it doesnt. also another reason i dont turn it off is cus my stupid mobo fan always locks up and i have to get a stick and start spinning it before it goes on its own. its a nub.
In your typical data center, you will find dozens if not hundreds or thousands of PCs that are on 24x7x365.

A PC wouldn't be a very good piece of mission-critical hardware if you couldn't have it on all the time.

I always shut my computer down at night. Mostly so I don't hear the fans at night. But you should do a re-boot every once and a while.

If my computer isn't downloading a large file overnight or something its always off. Why would you leave it on just for no reason, its a huge waste and bad for the environment.

Keep 'em on 24/7 and join the [H]orde!! Use all that down time for improving the world! If you're running CRT's, shut them off when idle but LCD's will powersave quite well when inactive.

I've got 4 that never shut off. Unless the power goes out, or we get bad lightning.

As long as your power usage isn't a concern, leave your computer on all the time, especially if you're overclocking: the extra heat will further cause expand/shrink problems if your computer is always turining on and off.

Again, I've never had a computer last nearly as long if it wasn't on ALL the time. Namely, a Pentium 3 @ 800mhz with a Geforce2 a friend has lasted longer than EVERY PC I've had, and probably because it was never turned off, except when he went on vacation. One of the only computers I've never had to dismantle because something bad happened, and I only had to dust it out once through its entire lifetime :eek: .

Yes, its horrible for the environment, but I make up for it by not using a Car, and keeping the air conditioner off nearly all the time.

If I left my pc on 24/7 my room would be a molten inferno. It's nice to get home and have your room nice and cool, and be able to sleep without sweating a river.

I love this particular issue. I used to leave all my machines (7) on all the time...less stress from constant booting, blah blah blah. Now I turn them all of except my server. Go figure..it won't matter really either way.

Back