Keep the 1080p 32'' BRAVIA or get 24 1080p Monitor?

One2The3

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, new user here (long time reader though!:D). Well I've had my ups and downs over the last couple years when dealing with HDTV's and Monitors. First Monitor was a 19'' Polariod *yeah I know:rolleyes:, and its alright just not impressive. So I bought myself a 32'' 720p BRAVIA; it was awesome until I actually saw the difference between 1080p and 720p. Sold the 720p BRAVIA and got the 32'' 1080 Sony XBR6. Its been awesome so far, but I game a lot (PS3 mainly and occasional PS2 and Wii) and sit fairly close; roughly 2 feet. Not a good idea I know, but it annoys me when I can't see all the little details. :eek: So my question to you guys is should I keep this XBR6 or get 24 or 25.5 Monitor that does 1080p?

If the monitor route is the way to go, I've got a couple I'm looking at. First off the Gateway FHD2401. Now I don't know much about it, but I do no about its previous model the FHD2400 and the BLB issue with it. The 2401 only has HDMI, DVI and VGA inputs compared to the plethora of the 2400. However, the contrast ratio is higher on the 2401 and the lag input seems phenomanal at 2ms! I don't know if its HDCP compliant though. Angles don't really affect me, so its no big. The next monitors I've been looking at are the Samsung T240HD and the T260HD. I've heard they do 16:9 aspect ratio which is great considering consoles use this ratio as opposed to 16:10. They seem like great monitors but so I've found little info on them. Are these HDCP? What are the differences between the two? Do these and the Gateway do 1:1? Also if I do end up with a monitor, what speakers should I get? I was looking at the Logitech X-540's. I don't like ordering online because of the what if's dilemma *dead pixel, malfunction, break, etc Thank you for hearing me out! I know its a lot !

Samsung ToC T240HD 24" monitor/HDTV

Do you mean whats the difference between the HD and non-hd monitors? cause the only diff between the 24 and 26 is...umm well 2 inches. There are very few reviews on these things, I think theres one over on tftcentral for the 22 incher. The only main complaint I've heard is that they're listed with high lag.

Logitech z-5500's! :)

If you're only using it for gaming with PS3/PS2/Wii, then you're not even maxing the available resolution of a 720p monitor most of the time. A higher-resolution monitor would not improve PQ, the source simply sucks. A smaller monitor would look better but it's only doing the same thing sitting further back from the screen would do--making the pixels smaller.

As to speakers, the 540's are real budget-end. If all you have is $50 for speakers, then why not. For $150, then as recommended above the 5500's are going to be better.

Haha Okay, so the only differences between the Sammy's is the size. I thought the Samsungs were 5ms on lag, thats not too bad I think?:confused: Yeah I was looking at the Z5500's, they look great but I haven't heard them to be honest. @ wildfire99, I'm not looking to get a 720p monitor, a 1080p Monitor, heck even a 720p LCD if I get desperate!

The Samsung T260HD lcd should be good enough for you. It has a plethora of inputs for your PS3, PS2 and Wii. PS3 connect via HDMI, PS2/Wii connect to Component and you can use a splitter box. Plus, you have a built in HD Tv tuner also which is a plus. 1:1 pixel mapping is also featured on this monitor which is good for your PS3 console. The 5ms response time is good for PS3, PS2, and Wii gaming. You should not worry to much on this as console gaming you do not push out high FPS as oppose to PC gaming. Also, since this a TN monitor, not S-PVA like your Sony 32" HDTV, lag issue is not much of a concern on a TN panel type lcd.

Man those are some really good speakers, the price point is good, but they're gonna have to wait unfortunately. Would these connect to the PS3 and the Monitor? Or is it just one of them? Alright so the T260HD seems great, but how would it display 720p? Would I have to Zoom, Stretch, Wide it? I've subscribed to the T240HD ToC thread so hopefully more info comes along.

Hahah probably not gonna sell it my good friend! I can still return it so, I've been just testing it out here and there. Honestly though its a great tv. Sony's XBR6 is sleek.The only thing that bugs me a lot about it, is that it has no headphone jack. I found the solution to it by connecting an RCA Cable and a Stereo Female to Stereo Male coupler. The sound through that was horrible though; At 100 I could barely here. Also the speakers (very good btw) sometimes die down and no sound emits; I think its a malfunction so I'll probably return it anyways.

Sold the 720p BRAVIA and got the 32'' 1080 Sony XBR6. Its been awesome so far, but I game a lot (PS3 mainly and occasional PS2 and Wii) and sit fairly close; roughly 2 feet. Not a good idea I know, but it annoys me when I can't see all the little details. :eek: So my question to you guys is should I keep this XBR6 or get 24 or 25.5 Monitor that does 1080p?

You have answered the question already.
If you need to see all the details you dont want a SMALLER screen!

I'd keep the 32'' if it had a headphone jack with actual sound coming through it; I know I could get speakers but right now my money is going towards either the TV or Monitor. Sitting two feet from 32'' is really hard on your eyes (eat lots of carrots!); it was probably a mistake getting such a large tv for my bedroom. I'll browse around here and AVS and just scope out some things to clear my mind; to make a decision.

Thanks, One2The3

32" all the way.. you will be disappointed when you get a 24"... sorely disappointed.

Just move a foot back.

I game on a 42" 1080p (it's my main PC monitor) at 3-4 feet, and it's worlds better than all previous setups that I have tried.

Josh

'Hahah yeah its not a good idea at all. What I need is a brand new desk; the one I have just doesn't fit this set. Its basically in my face at the edge( not tipping though!). Alright, I guess I'll keep the XBR6. Hopefully with a new arrangement it'll be easier on the eyes. Thanks for the replies! I'll still check out the Display Thread frequently though, probably going to buy a monitor later on to upgrade my current one "Polaroid 19"..... Thanks

Keep the XBR6, and save for the Logitech Z-5500s. Then you will get a headphone port and true surround sound for the PS3. People always concentrate on video but forget the audio.

Next Gen consoles have excellent sound too and the surround sound and 32" Bravia make for an immersive experience. Going from larger to smaller you always lose that immersive "in-the-game" feeling.

Thanks again. You guys are right, I don't know what I was thinkin; probably because of the lack of the headphones jack (litte thing I know, but I prefer to game at night).

How do I close this thread, or is that up to the moderators?

Back