Keep OC or wait for delid?

ToastyTim

n00b
So I'm convinced that my 8700k has an absolutely brutal TIM application under the IHS. I was running it at 4.7GHz all cores with 1.250v and getting 86c in RealBench after 30 mins w/ a Kraken x62 cooler. After 30 minutes on stock frequencies at the same voltage, I got a max of 72c which is much cooler. I use my PC mainly for games @1440p with a little bit of photo editing from time to time. I was just looking for some opinion on this but given my usage, should I just keep it at stock until I eventually de id? I'm not really sure if that kind of temp increase is worth it.

That's what my temps were running Prime95 small FFT with AVX on my 8700k at 4.7 ghz using a Fractal Design Celsius S24. Delidding gave about a 12c drop using Conductonaut. Was it worth the risk when I could've dropped the frequency to 4.4 ghz? No, but I wanted to do it for the experience.

That's what my temps were running Prime95 small FFT with AVX on my 8700k at 4.7 ghz using a Fractal Design Celsius S24. Delidding gave about a 12c drop using Conductonaut. Was it worth the risk when I could've dropped the frequency to 4.4 ghz? No, but I wanted to do it for the experience.

I guess I'm just a little bitter than I spent the extra money on a K CPU, Z motherboard, and CPU cooler only to get a garbage chip that I end up running stock.

I guess I'm just a little bitter than I spent the extra money on a K CPU, Z motherboard, and CPU cooler only to get a garbage chip that I end up running stock.

Overclocking ain't what it used to be. Intel has been trying to make up for the general lack of innovation and stalled process upgrades (10 nm is how many years overdue?) in the last few years (and really since Sandy Bridge) by pushing the stock clock speeds.

Thankfully, AMD woke up a couple years ago and that's lit a fire under Intel's ass. Clock speeds might not be up much, but at least we're getting additional cores for the dollar.

Overclocking ain't what it used to be. Intel has been trying to make up for the general lack of innovation and stalled process upgrades (10 nm is how many years overdue?) in the last few years (and really since Sandy Bridge) by pushing the stock clock speeds.

Thankfully, AMD woke up a couple years ago and that's lit a fire under Intel's ass. Clock speeds might not be up much, but at least we're getting additional cores for the dollar.

Good for the consumer that's for sure. I'd be very interested in the new Ryzens but when I built my current rig last year I told myself I'd be keeping it for 5 years.

They are already well overclocked, there isnt much mileage left unless you use water.
Even then its not a lot...
Unless you have a golden chip.

Back