Keep my XP of get a 64 for FREE?

Juan Sanchez

Limp Gawd
My parents are offering to get me a DFI Lan Party 250gb and an Athlon 64 3400+(new castle), but I don't know how much faster that would be then my current 2.5 Ghz Athlon XP-m. Basically, I could either get that combo, or get a Wave Master Case and an Antec Neo 480 PSU and build a PCI-X A64 computer next year. Only thing is that if I build a new system next year I would have to get a new PCI-x vid card and my 6800GT is already kicking but and I would like to carry it over to a new system. Basically is a 2.4 ghz A64 much faster then a 2.5 Ghz AXP-m?

Juan Sanchez said:
My parents are offering to get me a DFI Lan Party 250gb and an Athlon 64 3400+(new castle), but I don't know how much faster that would be then my current 2.5 Ghz Athlon XP-m. Basically, I could either get that combo, or get a Wave Master Case and an Antec Neo 480 PSU and build a PCI-X A64 computer next year. Only thing is that if I build a new system next year I would have to get a new PCI-x vid card and my 6800GT is already kicking but and I would like to carry it over to a new system. Basically is a 2.4 ghz A64 much faster then a 2.5 Ghz AXP-m?

You would notice a difference in games for sure. I won't call it earth shattering though. Don't look for anything like doubling your speed, but it is a nice increase.

I have both and I use the 64 for most everything, it's smoother etc.

Besides, since when does anyone turn down free hardware? ;)

BTW, that other "new" system your looking at? Think much bigger PSU, things are changing fast there. On some of the newer motherboard, CPU, RAM, Video card combos 550 to 600 watts from a really good company is fast becoming a "must".

Luck

I have a thoroughbred XP running at similar speeds.

I think I'll wait for 90nm A64 chipsets to mature a bit more. I think I want the feature set to become more standard, and perhaps a few revisions should pass. I'll wait for pci-X to popularize, and in particular, I'll wait for more overclockable athlons: http://overclockers.com/articles1151/index03.asp

Why? My current system is fast enough for me. a 90nm 3000+ is tempting though! If I had a slower system, I'd be all over the a64 platform.

Two references have been made about PCI-X. I believe you are both thinking about the new PCI-E Nforce4 chipsets that are about to release this month sometime.

PCI-X is an extension of the old PCI bus, and is mainly used for servers and workstations.
PCI-E is the entirely new bus, that has much better bandwidth, and can be laid out in a wide variety of connections, like PCI-E 16x for graphics, PCI-E 4x or 1x for other cards.

Should be a substantial difference, the A64 will allow the 6800 to stretch its legs.

I'd say there will be a difference for sure.. you might not notice it initially, but if you use the A64 mostly, and then go back to the AXP, you'll notice it then. Even so, as soon as 64-bit OS's and apps hit.. there's another huge advantage.

PCI-X is old tech and mobo's with it cost like $400

you guys are thinking PCI Express or PCIe.

obiwansotti said:
PCI-X is old tech and mobo's with it cost like $400

you guys are thinking PCI Express or PCIe.
owned :p

um... if getting it for christmas, why not get 939? its performs better for the same price.

get a 939 board and 3200+ and overclock the hell out of it, youll notice a nice increase in games

939 for the better upgrade path. 754 stops at 3700+, 939 already goes up to 4000+ and FX-55, and will support at least FX-57 and AMD's first crack at dual-core CPUs.

Going from my Athlon XP-M 2500+ @2.3GHz to an Athlon 64 3000+ has been noticeable even in everyday normal use. Everything is just a bit snappier.

It truly shines in games, though. I got a major increase in Doom 3 performance. Also, it runs pretty cool. I'm a happy camper.

I wouldn't get the DFI board though, it's Socket 370. Go with a Gigabyte or MSI NForce3 Socket 939 board, you'll be much happier in the long run.

you mean the dfi is socket 754.. 370 is ooooold stuff, and yeah if you can, get the msi k8n neo2.
as for the difference... well my a64 at 2ghz is noticably faster than my a-xp at 2.3ghz, so... i'd definitly look into upgrading.

Sorry, you're all correct.

I was thinking about PCI-Express, not PCI-X (And yes I knew the difference, I just wasn't thinking when I wrote that).

But then that was obvious and doesn't really change anything in this thread...

(cf)Eclipse said:
you mean the dfi is socket 754.. 370 is ooooold stuff, and yeah if you can, get the msi k8n neo2.
as for the difference... well my a64 at 2ghz is noticably faster than my a-xp at 2.3ghz, so... i'd definitly look into upgrading.

Yes, my brain was on cruise control, and I meant 754. My internal processor must have had a cache coherency error. ;)

I say tell your parents to get a clue and get you a socket 939 PCIexpress board and chip when they come out. Tell them all your friends will laugh at you if they get you socket 754 (if they are real friends that is :p )

Thanks for the advice. Why 754? Cuz when I upgrade processors I tend to Upgrade the Motherboard along with it.Why the 3400+? Runs at the same speed as the 3700+ but with half the cache and I heard It doesnt make that huge a diff.

am going for the same DFI mobo and 3400+

As the guy above me said by the time i need a new proc am sure there are gona be alot better boards out there now :) I always upgrade the proc and mobo together heheh :)

Also the 3400+ comes @ 2.4 gigs stock compared to the 3200+ @ 2.0 oe 3500+ @ 2.2

Dual chanel wont make up the lower mhz compared to the 3400+

That and I guess the winchester runs a little cooler but u have to oc it and the 3400+ shouldnt be a need to OC unless u a benchmark wh0re :p

Just my 2.cents

BillR said:
since when does anyone turn down free hardware? ;)

Exactly. But yeah I would try to get them to go 939 instead if possible =) Its perfect if u wanna keep youre AGP card right now - no waiting forever for the NF4 to come out.

I run a tbred at 2.5ghz. YEah, A64 is faster, but yo usaid if you got a new case and power supply this year you were gonna get a new system next year... So how long before your next upgrade if you opt for the A64 now? Your AXP might be relatively closer to top end for the next year than an a64 will be in a couple of years. I don't know if that made any sense, but the point is you should prolly weigh your options and decide how your purposes will best be served.

That makes sense to me. Think long term. Sacrafice today for greater gain tomorrow (next year).

You might end up with something like an A64 5000+ (3.0ghz) with an nforce5 SLI motherboard with SATA II (300mb/s) and a full true implementation of PCI express, which would make today's PCI express look like ass.

Or screw the sacrafice and just go for a few extra frames per second today with the A64 3400+. A noticeable, but still relatively small gain in performance, since an XP at 2.5ghz kicks butt.

im rolling with basically the same seutp you're going to get.

Athlon64 3400+ Newcastle socket 754
MSI K8N Neo Platinum
1 Gig Kingston DDR400

It's not a bad setup at all, but I would much rather have a socket 939 for future proofing (and knowing that If I really wanted to I could run an FX....droool). But I upgraded this machine when 939 prices were still way too much. Trust me and go for the s939, and some dual channel memorah.

Heres the game plan.

Getting the A64 3400+ with the DFI board.

A few months down the way build another system with the 2.5 AXP-m and get an X800XL(when and if they make them AGP, if not I'll just get a 6700 GT), that way I can invite one more buddy over to lan party (UT2k4, Worlds of Warcraft, and many other games).

I considered waiting for the Nforce 4 and PCI-Express but it would cost too much!!

I would have to get a new vidcard that is better then the current one (only 2 are--6800 Ultra and X800 XT--the UltraEE and XTpe are to hard to find) and the ones that are are only marginly better and honestly I dont think theirs gonna be a huge jump in graphics for the next 2 years (9700 Pro came out in 2002 and only in 2004 did we get DOUBLE the performance). So the 3400+ should sit well, and if need be I can always OC to 2.6ghz and be only a few percentage points from perfforming like an FX-55, Not bad for a $320 mobo+chip combo huh? You know what I find oddest of all though, is the fact that the Athlon 64 3400+ is aproaching being a 1 year old chip, granted the new ones have half the cache but it's still a 3400+, and currently the fasted numbered chip from amd is the 4000+ which runs at the same 2.4 Ghz as the chip Ill be getting

I understand the choices in upgrading. I personally would go with the Case and PSU and save like crazy till you can get Nforce4 or something better.I still am not sure myself whether to upgrade or not from my s754 A64 3000 and MSI K8T Neo motherboad. My real question I gotta answer is whether or not to upgrade my Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb.

Bottom line from me: get the case and PSU combo and hold off on the mobo and proccessor, even though the mobo+proc would get you better frames (but not tons I reckon).

Back