keep my hopes up, 6850

Kromix

Limp Gawd
well... trying to keep my hopes up... this is what happens to this card after a few hours of regular use or a few hours of gaming, it also messes the screen when crossfired with another card.... i know i might be bad VRAM. :( HALP, keeping hopes up and willing to have them crushed like paprika... :(

anyways...
this is what happens on monitor 1, monitor 2 is fine.
monitor 1 connected via DVI loops around and right hand side scrambles...

http://i44.tinypic.com/33ms7c7.jpg

edit:

Gigabyte HD6850 on acer g235h

Kromix

Limp Gawd
Bump, more info :D

Could it be that because the VGA ports it is ok, that it could be just the HDMI port that is bad on the card and i could use a DP to DVI adapter/cable instead?!??!

edited VGA

Last edited:

magoo

[H]F Junkie
It this overclocked?

Does it overheat?

In the first couple hours are you fine?

Have you taken off the Heatsink and looked at the TIM and thermal pads?:eek:

Kromix

Limp Gawd
lol :D it is factory OCd, the temps aren't high, on load they peak @ 55C

Heatsinks are Accelero S1 PLUS with mounted 2x 100mm scythe low profile fans and VRAM have aftermarket zalman heatsinks with the scythes blowing on them constantly at max RPMs, GPU-z shows all 3 temps peak at around 55C on load, but last time it did this mess up i was using Ms word and firefox >.< all @ ~35C

also crossreferenced temps with MSI afterburner

djsb

Limp Gawd
Yup, that's the VRAM without a doubt. It's exactly what happens on mine when the VRAM is OCed too high (after a random amount of time).

Kromix

Limp Gawd
oka, gonna underclock and test! and also run kombustor while i work...

Edit: underclocked via MSI afterburner... will be testing tonight...

Last edited:

Revdarian

2[H]4U
If you wanna test the memory of the card, get memtestcl.

With max overclock mine reported 1k errors out of the 50 runs, dialed back the ram overclock by 25mhz and all subsequent tests have been error free. (This is important since DDR5 will produce more errors the higher it is overclocked, and due to the error correction protocols this will actually slow down the performance of your memory).

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadUtils
^^ memtestcl

Kromix

Limp Gawd
the VRAM is set to 1050 from factory, Catalyst wont let me underclock that, and MSI Afterburner somehow does not save the settings properly :(

i read that the 6850 runs normally at 775/1000, mine was factory OCd to 820/1050, i'm thinking on turning off OC in catalyst, and resetting the afterburner settings, then modifying the INI files to underclock the video card :confused:

Will dod the memtestcl tonight...

Kromix

Limp Gawd
EDIT:

Got MSI Afterburner to work properly ;) and updated to new drivers.

Set the Clock @ 800 and the memory @ 1000 in both 2D and 3D and applied on startup. checked proper settings for them on GPU-Z. will run them like this and see if i get any more issues...

any advise to lower the clock to regular 775 or keep at Fact OC of 820, or leave it at 800..

Last edited:

Sojuuk

2[H]4U
If you wanna test the memory of the card, get memtestcl.

With max overclock mine reported 1k errors out of the 50 runs, dialed back the ram overclock by 25mhz and all subsequent tests have been error free. (This is important since DDR5 will produce more errors the higher it is overclocked, and due to the error correction protocols this will actually slow down the performance of your memory).

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadUtils
^^ memtestcl

When I run memtestcl I am error free all the way up to 1525mhz on my 6950, however, it is in no way stable at those speeds. So I dunno how much I trust that program!

Kromix

Limp Gawd
Okay Ran the tests,

@ 800/1000 Clock/mem each gives ~3k errors in 3-4 iterations total per.

underclocked the Factory OC cards to standard clock
@ 775/1000 clock/mem no errors.

:/ Gigabyte is letting me down :(

Sojuuk

2[H]4U
Okay Ran the tests,

@ 800/1000 Clock/mem each gives ~3k errors in 3-4 iterations total per.

underclocked the Factory OC cards to standard clock
@ 775/1000 clock/mem no errors.

:/ Gigabyte is letting me down :(

if you paid for an overclocked from factory card and it doesn't meet specs you have a right to RMA.