keep 6950 or get 570?

Eh tried both. I would go 6950 as it's cheaper and not much of a difference unlocked/not unlocked. Although I would say BF2 played smoother on the 570.

I just confirmed (by the PN/Sku) my 6950 is the newer version without the Bios switch, and won't unlock. So even if I wanted too, that idea is out the window. :(

While that's definitely a bummer, take solace in the fact that the overwhelming majority of the performance delta between the 6950 and 6970 is in the core and memory clocks. :)

What irks me more is the new heatsink, might keep things cooler but I far prefer the brick style. Think I'm just going to pay the diff for the 6970.

crysis 1 or 2? My GTX570 is only reporting 800MB MAX VRAM in crysis2 (mostly 600-700MB VRAM useage on most levels) throughout the campain. 1080p, maxxed settings (no clue about AA, I know Crysis has some sort of forced MLAA in it, however).
I agree on newer games using more VRAM, however, I just don't think crysis 2 is the best example...

Got this in afterburner playing the 'masks off' then the start of the 'out of the ashes' levels, crysis 2 uses a lot more memory than you'd think. This is at 1050p too.

crysis2.png

Winning!

So I took back the (non-unlockable) 6950 for the 6970, and it turns out they had a open box unlockable 6950. As a bonus, they gave me 10% off, so basically I scored an unlockable 6950 for $250+taxes!!

The store guy mentioned they had quite a few 6950's (1st version cards) returned, citing the reason from the customer's as they couldn't figure out the unlocking...

Got this in afterburner playing the 'masks off' then the start of the 'out of the ashes' levels, crysis 2 uses a lot more memory than you'd think. This is at 1050p too.

crysis2.png

do you have forced AA on? I just maxed out the ingame settings at 1080p with my SLI GTX570 setup.... I'll look for the ashes-to-ashes level and report back tonight.

Nope, just maxed out settings, might have AF forced in NVCP but that shouldn't make a significant difference. When playing the game to get this I noticed that the vram usage steps up when you enter a new area, so it may be that this reading is not a fair representation of actual current vram demand.

Winning!

So I took back the (non-unlockable) 6950 for the 6970, and it turns out they had a open box unlockable 6950. As a bonus, they gave me 10% off, so basically I scored an unlockable 6950 for $250+taxes!!

Score! So now you have a 6970 for $250. ;)

I loved my XFX 6950, damn card was superb, but I just couldn't stand that damn fan. I do not regret switching from the 6950 to the 570. Both are great cards that in my eyes you and have very little personal downfalls. Glad you were able to figure out your situation.

Nope, just maxed out settings, might have AF forced in NVCP but that shouldn't make a significant difference. When playing the game to get this I noticed that the vram usage steps up when you enter a new area, so it may be that this reading is not a fair representation of actual current vram demand.

any browser open in the background? I'm still maxing out at 800MB, tops. 700MB more common. I'll try toggling settings around in the user made settings editor.

any browser open in the background? I'm still maxing out at 800MB, tops. 700MB more common. I'll try toggling settings around in the user made settings editor.

Only used the settings editor to turn off intro movies.

Maybe that I've got a secondary 17" screen, or just some freak reading with my rig/card/afterburner combo. I'm perfectly willing to accept that I'm wrong in terms of how much vram crysis 2 needs, but I was quoting usage that I'd seen on my own setup.

LOL i liked that..

"Definately Iffy" but then "I fixed them by a reinstall"

sounds like a little PEBKAC

PEBKAC? LOL i liked that. Like there is a special way im supposed to double click on the driver install package?? Ive tried multiple versions and hotfixes...other than 11.2 the drivers were stubborn as hell and 9 out 10 times if you run into an error its far easier to clean and reinstall then mess around with these pieces of crap. Like i caused CCC to crash and freeze my PC when it first loads? Like i caused the Xfire option to be missing from the drivers? Get a clue.

to the OP..

the Drivers from both manufacturers are fine. If you look you'll see both have issues and both have strengths. People saying things like "definately" and stating it like a fact doesn't make it true.

i've gone from 7800GT to X1900XTX to 8800GT to 4850 to 4870 to GTX 460 and now to a 5870.

Just install the 6950 and start playing

LOL i liked that... Yeah you go right ahead and try that with Xfire+Eyefinity setup.

Last edited:
I got the Galaxy 480 soc on the hot deals section. When you OC it, the speeds are really close to a stock 580 for $240 after mir. Pretty sure that is a win for a single display crt setup like mine.

Yeah that Galaxy deal is hot. If I didn't have a GTX 570 coming I'd been on that.

Back