Keep 1080ti or 1070?

SniperXx

2[H]4U
I game at 1440p and like to use max settings on the important stuff. I got both these cards and am torn on which to keep. With the 1080ti I don't like hanging on to something so valuable if I don't need it. But if the 1080ti will last me 3+ years without upgrades it would be worth it. Whats the chances of a 1080ti still maxing most games out(on the important stuff) in the future, if future game requirements have been like the past and don't get to demanding?

BTW:I didn't go out and pay retail for the 1080ti I traded around locally for it. I have alot less in it then what it retails for.

I keep the 1080ti since you are more likely to max out settings on 1440p and sale the 1070 while it is still hot with the mining community. Graphics demand only increase not decrease, so 1080TI will be a better option lasting for 3 years.

The ti is almost twice the gpu, so I'd keep the much faster card. Why go with the 1070 today only to find it cannot keep up with new games tomorrow?

The ti is almost twice the gpu, so I'd keep the much faster card. Why go with the 1070 today only to find it cannot keep up with new games tomorrow?

Cause you can upgrade to Volta x70 (at least) and get the same performance (or more) and new features? You never know, that's why there's no future proofing in pc hardware.

Keep the 1080ti and sell the 1070 while they're still overpriced....this is a no brainer! I just did the same with my 980ti

A 1070 cant max all game quality settings at 1080p, double the res wont improve that.
The 1080ti will let you play games as the devs intended and will last.

1080ti

If you are going to keep the 1070 performance you might as well sell it for $450 ish and buy a 980ti for $300 ish.

I mean mostly depends on the game/s you are playing, if you are playing all the latest releases and want max setting the 1080 would be the choice though if you are just wanting to play game like cs-go and league of legends on max then the 1070 would be more that sufficient I think

With the 1080ti I don't like hanging on to something so valuable if I don't need it.
*Underline emphasis mine.

Sounds like you'd rather have the extra money in hand instead of the better performance. Sell the 1080Ti and keep the 1070. The 1070 won't last 3 more years, but you'll have the extra money now instead of tied up in an expensive video card that won't be worth much in 3 years.

Sell both at mega profit while the getting is good, get the cheapest GPU that will tide you over (even if you have to suffer a while at reduced image quality settings), put the rest of the money into savings (and don't touch it), then jump when the next gen parts emerge.

...or sell the 1070 now, since the 1080Ti will retain more resale value later, even if the mining craze dies and used GPU values proverbially tank.

Sell both at mega profit while the getting is good, get the cheapest GPU that will tide you over (even if you have to suffer a while at reduced image quality settings), put the rest of the money into savings (and don't touch it), then jump when the next gen parts emerge.

...or sell the 1070 now, since the 1080Ti will retain more resale value later, even if the mining craze dies and used GPU values proverbially tank.

1080ti will have a half of its resale value when new gen will be released. X70 and x60 cards lose less value over time, unlike x80/ti that get hit quite significantly. That's why x70 upgrade every gen is much more viable than x80ti every other.

If you're concerned about money:

Sell both while prices are high and buy a used 980ti with transferable warranty. Same performance as 1070

I thought the 180ti was better than the std 1080... what am I missing?:(

Common sense? OP is leaning more towards money in pocket than having a top-end GPU. A 1070 fetches nearly as much as a 1080 from the mining crowd, and OP got the 1080Ti for much less than retail, so selling both and buying a tier down seems sensible, I guess.

ok, so the obvious was lost on me, I was in the which one is better thought process... I stand corrected

If it's too much of a card for you then sell it, it's not going to get more valuable as time goes by. Or you could get a G-Synch monitor so you can game at least 100Hz+, expensive as all hell though.

I'm seriously planning to switch to AMD because the price difference in monitors is ridiculous, and quite frankly you don't need a high-end card if you just game at 60Hz.

I actually have a gsync/144hz monitor. I put the 1080ti on craigs for less than retail. If it doesn't get what I'd like I'll just hang on to it. Thanks for the input all.

I'll rephrase this for you. Help you to ask yourself the right question. "do I want to lose 63% of my performance?"

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070/3918vs3609

If you have the card in your hands / system .... keep it.

Return / sell the 1070.

If you're a casual gamer and do not care about performance then the 1070 is probably all you will need. The 1070 is a mid-range card. The 1060 is considered the value performance tier. The 1050 ti is for people that are broke.

Also, the 1080 ti is going to be a keepr for at least the next 24 months. If you're a gamer and keep the 1070 ... you're going to wish you hadn't and will replace it a lot sooner that the 1080 ti which is 63% faster. That's stock speed also btw.

Any factory OC 1080 ti is about 66% to 67% faster than a 1070 on average.

Also, forget a bout money. How are you going to spend it? Chances are you will fuck the money off like we all do. Fast food, a movie, wraps from 7-11, $30 dollar tab at some over priced restaurant serving shitty craft beer that taste like burnt coffee? Yeah dude ... keep the damn card.

I promise everyone in these forums fucks off $100 a week on BS and probably much more. Keep the 1080 ti and watch what you spend for 10 days. Not too hard to do. Eat at home, get high off your girlfriends goodies and stop buying amiibo figures.

Keep the 1080.. only reason I got a 1070 instead of a 1080 is I didnt have the money for it.

It also depends on the games you're playing.

If you have a 1440p/144Hz gsync monitor, then you want to be able to run it near 144 Hz. Some games out there right now on max settings will get only 70-80 fps on max settings at 1440p with a 1080Ti. But if you don't play those games then sell the 1080Ti.

Keep that 1080ti. Longer invesent with the 1070s going for over MSRP. Or sell both and get a 1080 or RX Vega at launch!

Here's one way to look at it - figure out the cost per year to keep the card.

The 1080ti if it costs $700 new will be worth $340 or less in two years. That's $180 a year but at close to peak available performance. The 1070 will cost $100 to 120 for the same two year keep but at increasingly behind the times performance. Substitute your own numbers if you don't like mine but think of it like a car lease $/year to own a card.

I just bought a 1080 Ti FE and plan to sell my 1070 while the crypto mining fad is still in full swing.

1080 Ti is going to obviously be most future proofed. If you are a high refresh rate gamer like I am, then moreseo

A 1070 cant max all game quality settings at 1080p, double the res wont improve that.

You've got a serious bottleneck if you're experiencing this. There isn't a game yet that I can't max out at 1440p with 60fps+ using the 1070. A game like Rise of the Tomb Raider may dip to the upper 40s but that's hardly unplayable by any stretch of the word. And no, I don't count maxing out AA as a setting since 2x usually provides a great visual for the performance.

OP, if I was in your shoes, I'd stick with the 1080ti because the 1070 will serve you great for a while but the Ti will surely outlast it for obvious reasons.

You've got a serious bottleneck if you're experiencing this.

You immediately contradict yourself:
There isn't a game yet that I can't max out at 1440p with 60fps+ using the 1070. A game like Rise of the Tomb Raider may dip to the upper 40s ...

Do you play Witcher 3?

You immediately contradict yourself:

Most games can run over 60fps but every game ends up being playable even if they don't run over.

Can I play at 1440p with maxed out settings? Yes. Is the game at a playable framerate? Yes.

My own experience with a 1070 disagrees with your original claim that a 1070 can't max out settings at 1080p. That is simply not true. I had a 1080p monitor for 6 months before upgrading to a 144hz 1440p monitor and this was due to the fact that I felt the 1070 was being under-utilized at 1080p.

Last edited:
Most games can run over 60fps but every game ends up being playable even if they don't run over.

Can I play at 1440p with maxed out settings? Yes. Is the game at a playable framerate? Yes.
Its nice you apply your standard to me specifically without qualifying what I want.

Its nice you apply your standard to me specifically without qualifying what I want.

Oh, did I miss where this thread was about you?

OP posted a question, you applied your standard to the 1070 that OP is asking whether he should keep or not, then I chimed in with my personal experience while briefly commenting on your post.

Don't take things so personally, man.

Oh, did I miss where this thread was about you?

OP posted a question, you applied your standard to the 1070 that OP is asking whether he should keep or not, then I chimed in with my personal experience while briefly commenting on your post.

Don't take things so personally, man.
You made it about me by quoting me and contradicting my post.
I stated my preference because the op asked for peoples preferences.
You dont like that for some reason.
Its you that took it personally lol.
Even worse that you blame your problems on me.

Back