KDE 3 In Ubuntu 8.04

jtg1993

Gawd
I put Ubuntu 8.04 on my laptop, and i hate gnome so i tried to put KDE 3 on so i put this in terminal:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
Code:
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
but once it finished (over an hour later) I booted up KDE and it was stupid KDE 4 but i want KDE 3, so i reinstalled and im on it now typing this but what do i have to do to get KDE 3? Also 1 more thing, Ubuntu doesnt have the drivers needed for my wireless card, so how do i do it?

Interesting, i added KDE just last week, and i got kde 3? I guess it depends on the repositories...

please post the output of lspci

if you ever want to get KDE off you'll want to use synaptic to install kde-desktop and not apt-get. both have a version flag that you can use to force a specific version. syntax is "package=version"

sudo apt-get install kde
if you want the kubuntu theming everywhere, i think you'll need to download/install kubuntu 8.04 kde3 edition (not kde4 remix) - i could be wrong tho

imo kde 4.0 is on par with windows 95 stability, if not worse, but 4.1 (out july 29th) is more or less on par with 3.5 - (taking a superficial look at the surface, at least)

Ok i opened Synaptics Package Manager and put in kde-desktop and nothing appeared, but i put in kde-core and it showed up, but the latest version says its 5:47. I donno if thats the one is should get, ill wait till someone replies.

Sorry, mistyped/thought.

I meant to say use aptitude instead of apt-get. Sorry for the confusion.

You should double check what DVD/CD you instead from because every 8.04 LTS I see has kde3 and uses kde4 or kubuntu-kde4-desktop to install kde4....

Maybe also you should install from kubuntu discs instead of ubuntu discs to avoid the trouble?

Sorry, mistyped/thought.

I meant to say use aptitude instead of apt-get. Sorry for the confusion.

You should double check what DVD/CD you instead from because every 8.04 LTS I see has kde3 and uses kde4 or kubuntu-kde4-desktop to install kde4....

Maybe also you should install from kubuntu discs instead of ubuntu discs to avoid the trouble?

K i just put sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop in terminal and now ill have to wait till its done, it needs 231MB of archives. I got the newest disc from ubuntu.com and it says its 8.04 LTS. And yes i think i should install from kubuntu discs instead of ubuntu but i wasnt think when i downloaded it.

Thanks aptlitude worked, it took almost 2 hours for it to finish. KDE 3 is was better then the stupid KDE 4. And for next time i need to do this imdownloading the kubuntu 8.04 with kde 3.

Back