KB973924 -- security update for visual c++ 2008 redist -- won't install

silent-circuit

[H]F Junkie
As the title says -- I've had this damn thing haunting my desktop for months now, and it was published in 2009. Won't install. I've repaired my Visual C++ 2008 redistributable install, uninstalled and installed from scratch... doesn't matter. Gives an "unknown error" and code 643 every time. Google is obviously unhelpful or I wouldn't be posting here. This is on Windows 7 Professional 64bit. Fully legit, otherwise up to date, NOD32 installed and up to date, nothing fishy done on it. Ideas? Suggestions? Solutions?

Last edited:
Maybe this update doesn't apply to the version you installed?

I have the x86 and x64 versions installed, the SP1 versions for each, and the ATL Security updates. If I was missing an important security update, it would show up on Microsoft Update.

The only problem I had on a fresh installation of Win7 64 was having to move and re-register msdia80.dll after it installed by default to a different partition than the OS partition.

Sometimes if there is a patch stuck like that you need to stop the windows update service, clear out the software distribution folder, and restart it. I've had that happen occasionally. I can't say that's the problem with this particular patch, but its usually where I start when issues like that occur on systems.

I've had this happen a few times with Win 7 patches lately. Restarting the PC always got them to install though.

Back