Kaspersky patents hardware based antivirus

seeing as how patents usually require you to spell it out to the T, dot the i's, etc of how the device works, and this usually becomes public record.....

countdown to circumventing hardware based AV in.....3....2....1

in all seriousness though, i'd like a way to hardware accelerate the heuristic scans of most AV engines, be that via CUDA. OpenCL or what have you. the current performance hit a typical business system takes when the scans start practically makes them useless. it's probably top 3 of "system performance" complaints i get around my shop.

That's great and would greatly aid or compliment certain servers.

I just think it's cool to see AV vendors start looking offloading AV tasks to something else besides the CPU, RAM, and OS.

Yes we've moved towards multi-core processors and systems with lots of RAM, and faster hard drives...but due to the nature of threats, AV products themselves have had to keep up and get much more..invasive. On the average, AV products have become "heavier" than they were say...7 years ago.

This hardware based antivirus thing comes along in timing with another recent thread we had about AV being offloaded to the GPU of a system...and I think Kaspersky was one of the vendors that did a concept system based on that with amazing results.

In my opinion...it's a good direction for them to explore.

Back