Kaspersky Operating System?

I don't think I'd have a warm and fuzzy feeling with anything Kaspersky-related on my computer. That's before we'd get in to compatibility issues, support, etc.

I've always had a good experience with their AV but their supposed closeness to the Russian government is troubling.

It's pretty unlikely Ubuntu is sharing anything with anyone - Including Canonical themselves.

Maybe. Certainly had a lot of flagged traffic to South Africa on my Pfsense/snort router when I used Ubuntu. The IP's belonged to Canonical when I checked what was getting blocked. I maintained the outbound blocks to SA. All the Linux stuff worked fine.....so I assume it was Ubuntu style telemetry........

Maybe. Certainly had a lot of flagged traffic to South Africa on my Pfsense/snort router when I used Ubuntu. The IP's belonged to Canonical when I checked what was getting blocked. I maintained the outbound blocks to SA. All the Linux stuff worked fine.....so I assume it was Ubuntu style telemetry........

I can find no evidence of Ubuntu having any form of telemetry beyond the Amazon/search debacle of ~2012, and even then any telemetry was easily disabled by flicking one easily located radio switch.

The OS is open source, I'm sure is there was telemetry in there, someone would have pointed it out by now.

Okay, then it talks to Canonical for whatever reason. Certainly didn't stop the OS from working when it was blocked.

I can find no evidence of Ubuntu having any form of telemetry beyond the Amazon/search debacle of ~2012, and even then any telemetry was easily disabled by flicking one easily located radio switch.

The OS is open source, I'm sure is there was telemetry in there, someone would have pointed it out by now.

Code:
apt-cache show popularity-contest
dpkg -l | grep popularity-contest

It originates from Debian (though I don't know if it's installed by default), and I'd guess it's packaged for every other derivative (e.g., Mint).

There's also Landscape, which I'm sure Ubuntu/Canonical scrapes for data on those systems that use it.

Code:
apt-cache show popularity-contest
dpkg -l | grep popularity-contest

It originates from Debian (though I don't know if it's installed by default), and I'd guess it's packaged for every other derivative (e.g., Mint).

There's also Landscape, which I'm sure Ubuntu/Canonical scrapes for data on those systems that use it.

None of that is enabled by default.

Ubuntu spies on no one.

What you are seeing in relation to Ubuntu phoning home is related to:

- Time server updates.
- Software updates.
- Crash reporting.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AutomaticConnections

None of that is enabled by default.

Ubuntu spies on no one.

What you are seeing in relation to Ubuntu phoning home is related to:

- Time server updates.
- Software updates.
- Crash reporting.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AutomaticConnections

popularity-contest certainly is (at least in Artful, I'm not going to check every prior release):
Code:
$ apt-cache rdepends popularity-contest
popularity-contest
Reverse Depends:
  debian-goodies
  ubuntu-standard
  neurodebian-popularity-contest
  ubuntu-standard

Landscape isn't, as I noted, but I have no doubt Ubuntu/Canonical uses whatever info they can get from those who opt-in to it.

Popcon reports back to the Debian developers telling them what packages are installed on individual machines in order to make better informed decisions as to what software to provide with packaged distro's based on the Debian base.

I see no evidence that personal information is sent with Popcon - Popcon should be open source so you should be able to check the code yourself.

Popcon was disabled by default in the past, I cannot find any concrete evidence highlighting that anything has changed in this regard.

If it is open source i'd give it a go for curiosity but if it is closed source I wouldn't trust it at all.

Probably default NTP servers & package repositories.

I've always had a good experience with their AV but their supposed closeness to the Russian government is troubling.

"supposed" being the key word. These days I am more likely to believe the Russians than the Americans. Yea, I live in Canada and do not trust the USA to be honest. Seems they are on a witch hunt to me and now they have their pals in the UK spouting the same BS.

I don't use Kaspersky because I use free but I would have no problem using it otherwise.

Reactions: Lunar
like this
"supposed" being the key word. These days I am more likely to believe the Russians than the Americans. Yea, I live in Canada and do not trust the USA to be honest. Seems they are on a witch hunt to me and now they have their pals in the UK spouting the same BS.

I don't use Kaspersky because I use free but I would have no problem using it otherwise.

You've really fallen for the propaganda.

Nobody should trust either American corporations / government or Russian ones. Russia is THE most corrupted country on the planet. That includes both commercial and governmental levels. US corporations follow lead and as Snowden revealed, the US government is doing a lot of shady business aswell.

Russia is basically a big mob that happens to rule an entire country.

Nobody should trust either American corporations / government or Russian ones. Russia is THE most corrupted country on the planet. That includes both commercial and governmental levels. US corporations follow lead and as Snowden revealed, the US government is doing a lot of shady business aswell.

Russia is basically a big mob that happens to rule an entire country.
Slow down there sunshine... There are plenty of contenders for the top spot

Can't we all just agree that there is corruption, or at least the potential for it, in all positions of power? Kind of inherent to the whole being human and absolute power corrupts absolutely thing. However, what we commonly refer to as corruption is more likely less to do with people making decisions because they are evil/corrupt, and more likely to do with a decision or decisions resulting in more money and power. Both of those things are highly attractive and addictive. Once obtained, people inherently want more money and power. Of course, I don't think the pursuit of power or money are inherently evil, but as with just about anything there is a line. Once that line is crossed, we should be there to hold them accountable using all legal methods at our disposal. That could be as simple as voting with our wallets, or calling on public defenders to prosecute. There's a lot of hyperbolic nonsense getting thrown around these days, and it's really quite tiresome. I personally think that a lot of what we see in the news related to conspiracies, collusion, etc are blown way out of proportion. It seems to me that we as a society are trying to see the worst in people/organizations, when the reality is probably more along the lines that bad decisions were made along the way.

As an example, many religious groups boycotted Disney in the 90's because of imagery that was on the box art for The Little Mermaid VHS, and imagery found in a few frames of The Lion King. Now a reasonable person would look at this and ask, "Do I really think that Disney corporate ordered these things to be drawn in, or is it more likely that it was either a disgruntled artist on the team, or an artist doing something they thought would just be the most hilarious thing ever?" I don't know for sure, but I highly doubt that Michael Eisner ordered this to happen, but he sure did have to deal with the consequences. People individually tend to be rational and critical thinkers, but now that we have never ending group think (thanks Facebook) we end up with a lot of the overblown BS that we see today.

You have to be kidding, unless you mean countries like Iran, China, North Korea, and a few of the former USSR republics, plus of course, Venezuela. And how could I forget Cuba.

You have to be kidding, unless you mean countries like Iran, China, North Korea, and a few of the former USSR republics, plus of course, Venezuela. And how could I forget Cuba.
Exactly.

Have you ever been to Russia? :D Sure some banana countries may pass Russia as in total level of corruption but on global scale - you can't beat the ex soviets with Russia leading the pack.

Have you ever been to Russia? :D Sure some banana countries may pass Russia as in total level of corruption but on global scale - you can't beat the ex soviets with Russia leading the pack.

uOURj1D.jpg

/richest man in the world

No, you have.

In what world do you live in do you think this video has any relevance to the topic?

You may as well have shown us a video of a man eating pears titled “NSA “expert” eats pears”

In my experience, the corruption in India puts Russia or anyone else to shame. The corruption robs the entire country of their ability to live and even kills its own at will (Chennai floods a few years ago). Horrible, horrible place. And there's no 'money and power' with 'small lines crossed along the way' for these people, they're pure evil--the likes of which the west has never seen. Our hardened prisoners would flench in their presence as you can almost feel the evil aura around them. It's absolutely crazy, but the citizens do nothing about it, so that's their problem and thankfully not mine.

In my experience, the corruption in India puts Russia or anyone else to shame. The corruption robs the entire country of their ability to live and even kills its own at will (Chennai floods a few years ago). Horrible, horrible place. And there's no 'money and power' with 'small lines crossed along the way' for these people, they're pure evil--the likes of which the west has never seen. Our hardened prisoners would flench in their presence as you can almost feel the evil aura around them. It's absolutely crazy, but the citizens do nothing about it, so that's their problem and thankfully not mine.

That just means you haven't studied russia too much. The russian mafia is legendary for their ruthlessness and did you forget Stalin executing millions of his own countrymen? Countless assassinations has been performed on Putins period, of which the murder/imprisonment of political opponents and critical reporters have broken the news threshold. There has been several nuclear disasters for example in russia. In one occasion at tseljabinsk, 150 metric tons of highly radioactive material exploded polluting many kilometers with lethal radiation levels and much larger area airborne with less than lethal dosages. People still continue to live there and were not evacuated. Sure the villagers have horrible tumors and disfigurement but hey, it's the way it is...

Having said that, I fully concur with the movie line: India is the rectum of the universe.

That just means you haven't studied russia too much. The russian mafia is legendary for their ruthlessness and did you forget Stalin executing millions of his own countrymen? Countless assassinations has been performed on Putins period, of which the murder/imprisonment of political opponents and critical reporters have broken the news threshold. There has been several nuclear disasters for example in russia. In one occasion at tseljabinsk, 150 metric tons of highly radioactive material exploded polluting many kilometers with lethal radiation levels and much larger area airborne with less than lethal dosages. People still continue to live there and were not evacuated. Sure the villagers have horrible tumors and disfigurement but hey, it's the way it is...

Having said that, I fully concur with the movie line: India is the rectum of the universe.

I was reading last night how that crazy North Korean Leader assassinated one of his generals via flame thrower and when his wife complained about his assassination she was poisoned. Another of the top brass were assassinated via anti aircraft gun for falling asleep at a parade.

Very concerning times, I think Kaspersky's OS is the least of our worries at this stage.

In what world do you live in do you think this video has any relevance to the topic?

You may as well have shown us a video of a man eating pears titled “NSA “expert” eats pears”

It is very relevant, and you know why.

As was stated in the video I posted, USA government is lying about Russian hacking of elections and I am saying they are lying about Kaspersky too. It is a witch hunt.

Last edited:
I was reading last night how that crazy North Korean Leader assassinated one of his generals via flame thrower and when his wife complained about his assassination she was poisoned. Another of the top brass were assassinated via anti aircraft gun for falling asleep at a parade.

Very concerning times, I think Kaspersky's OS is the least of our worries at this stage.

I don't see how you can not be worried about an OS that allegedly pipes your information directly to potential enemies of your nation and/or cybercriminals.

I don't see how you can not be worried about an OS that allegedly pipes your information directly to potential enemies of your nation and/or cybercriminals.

Wouldn't worry me as I'd never use it! I only use operating systems that respect me! :ROFLMAO:

Dunno whether there'd be much fun in execution by AA gun though.... :(

I'd much rather my PI go to Canonical than MS. Microsoft is the greatest evil in the corporate world as far as I'm concerned.

The above was typed and posted from Ubuntu-MATE.

Wouldn't worry me as I'd never use it! I only use operating systems that respect me! :ROFLMAO:

Dunno whether there'd be much fun in execution by AA gun though.... :(
There are far slower and worse ways to get executed than AA... :)
I guess the problem is that only security seeking people chose Kaspersky in the first place and if it now seems they were playing right into the honeypot of the enemy... well.

I have used kaspersky when it's logo was an umbrella it was kaspersky 5.0.
I remember downloading it and putting it too the test in regards to viruses
I would download pirated content to see if it would find virus and it did
Ever since then i loved the program so much that i even recommended it when i was a computer technician as part of a serivce called a gunkectomoy which was virus removal
I even had a customer say this too me before Kaspersky was accused of anything
Sir we can Install Kaspersky Antivirus?
I told them who made it.
He said "NO I Don't want anything from the RUSSIAN FEDERATIOn!!
I didn't understand what he meant until later on and i still don't believe it but it is so f''n strange too me now!!

I liked the program it worked great and whomever created it thank you.
Anything more about a cool program i I truly don't care about!.
I remember Edwio malware program which i would of considered the best malware app at the time.
It became part of AVG and it didn't translate so well over.

Nod32 Eset Antivirus is a great virus app also~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited:
Back