Kaspersky: Malicious Ads Through ICQ

HardOCP News

[H] News
Roel Schouwenberg, a Kaspersky researcher, says he has found malicious ads in ICQ. Hit the link for the complete rundown on how a trusted program can be used to attack your computer.

Over the last few days, we received numerous reports of computers infected with fake anti-virus (scareware). The name of this particular culprit is Antivirus 8. The interesting thing about these cases is that the users were getting fake anti-virus browser pop ups while not actively using the computer. During our research we noticed that these pop-ups would appear right when ICQ was fetching/displaying new ads.

ah lubs meh some Kaspersky interwebz security sweet(suite) :p 2011 wont touch anything but :D

I haven't used ICQ in over a decade, it was old and sluggish then, not to mention infested with viruses, and spam...kind of like this latest news...which is also old news in some respects.

Only Russian hackers use ICQ.

Fucking pissed those little pricks jacked my 7 digit number.

When I still used ICQ I was running a severely hacked up version of the old 2000b precisely so I could disable the ads and other crap. I use Pidgin now.

Well, the current trend in ICQ is not really this kind of the spam. First there was the direct spam, where unknown users sent you messages. After a while this stopped, but now it's a authorization spam. I keep the ICQ client (Miranda IM in my case) only because the friends still use it.

When I still used ICQ I was running a severely hacked up version of the old 2000b precisely so I could disable the ads and other crap. I use Pidgin now.

Hah, I used the exact same thing. Worked very well.

I miss ICQ. I loved using random chat.

What are ICQ numbers up to now? Ten digits? Eleven?

ICQ still exists?

Just because in your country it's not widelly used it doesn't mean it's dead. I could ask "MSN still exists?", as i can count the number of MSN contacts i have using fingers on one of my hands. Or i could ask does Yahoo Messenger exists (never seen anyone using it). Or i could ask AIM exists ? Never seen anyone using it.

Or i could ask AIM exists ? Never seen anyone using it.

I know several people that have AIM accounts. I created an account so I can communicate with them over Pidgin since they ditched ICQ. We use the AIM network but not the actual messenger.

I know several people that have AIM accounts. I created an account so I can communicate with them over Pidgin since they ditched ICQ. We use the AIM network but not the actual messenger.

You missed the context :). My point was that even if you don't know many people using that specific protocol, it doesn't mean that that protocol is dead.

SOO many spyware/adware/scareware use yieldmanager.. I suggest just blocking them completely.

I could ask the question people still use the original ICQ and/or MSN clients?
I thought everyone had switched to something decent like Miranda IM where this wont be an issue...?

Pfft. It's more like "People still use Instant Messaging programs?".

Having said that, while ICQ wasn't necessarily the most well-made IM program, I certainly used it the most over any of the other services. Guess that counts for something. But I have personally used it in quite a few years. I've only used MSN once or thrice in the last 4 years. And that's about that.

Wow, that's crazy.. I guess you can't control everything.. unless you close your software and don't allow any 3rd party participation..

PS: IRC FTW

Glad I'm using CenterIM. No feature support for each protocol aside from sending/getting text messages. Closes up a lot of those security flaws if they're not limited to the client.

Back