Kaspersky Lab Open-Sources its Threat-Hunting Tool

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
DARKReading is reporting that Kaspersky Lab has made its threat hunting tool KLara available for open source. The tool runs multiple YARA identifier rules from multiple databases simultaneously. The open source tool is available now on GitHub.

Very cool of Kaspersky open-sourcing this. Many more details about KLara can be found on SecureList.

"Detecting cyberthreats requires tools and systems that can hunt effectively for malware – particularly when tracking advanced targeted threat campaigns through months or even years of activity," said Dan Demeter, security researcher at Kaspersky Lab and one the creators of KLara. "We created KLara to help us hunt threats better and faster" and are now sharing it with the security community, he said.

I know the state department and some of the feds have attacked Kaspersky for being a tool of the Russian government, but it's still my preferred antivirus. I have been a customer since 2009.

I know the state department and some of the feds have attacked Kaspersky for being a tool of the Russian government, but it's still my preferred antivirus. I have been a customer since 2009.

I've been using NOD for a good while now and I find it light, unobtrusive, fully capable.

Of course if Kaspersky is a threat, giving it away is a good way to gain back some market saturation.

I always tell customers to read several review sites, look at what they cover, look at independent labs and then just buy something.

Most of the shelf AV score close to each other.

I personally (prepares for toasting) use McAfee because I get it for 4$ a year on black friday.
My friends use kaspersky/bit defender/nod32 and Norton.

I still run sweeps with super anti-spyware, hit man pro, and malwarebytes.

To each their own. I say

Back