4.95 GHz - Stable, 1.408V - Multiplier at 49, BCLK at 100.93MHz
5 GHz - BSOD after 4 minutes of AIDA64 Stress FPU, requires more voltage
5.1 GHz - Boots to Windows, 1.488V - runs basic tests, SuperPi 1M = 7.298 sec
5.2 GHz - Crash @ BIOS

184754ajmrz4mhze6coadq_zpsqefmtc5r.jpg

184754xmggzl4q0d4d0qgl_zpsshs9bm7g.jpg

184755ye5bi06zi6i6t9e6_zpsgkpbepel.jpg

184755mepe3elxyyyyalwa_zps77jn2nyd.jpg

This will be very bad for AMD/ Zen if this is a typical overclock with the new 14nm+ node. Although 1.4V+ is probably not be a good long term solution..

Looks good so far. But more samples need to be seen. Specially for 7700K. I suspect they will bin harder towards these due to the increased demand.

This will be very bad for AMD/ Zen if this is a typical overclock with the new 14nm+ node. Although 1.4V+ is probably not be a good long term solution..
Having flashbacks to 2011....... People said SB would not last more than 6 months with a 1.4v+ overclock......

As Trump would say. WRONG!

What are the temp like with all that voltage? Can't seem to enlarge those pics.

It's better than a Celeron still Sky Lake is very similar to the Haswell 4790K a tick over Skylake means this processor ROCKS!! I remember looking foward to owning a Broadwell and they skipped it just went to Skylake. Broadwell made a comeback though with the 10 core.

Zen sound cool but it won't compete even with a 40% single thread improvement over the bulldozer series.

Last edited:
Unless there is a technical breakthrough with silicon or some new material or both this is all I expect for years to come.

Edit:

I would not say Intel is lazy here. They will spend 10s of billions of dollars to 100s of billions of dollars trying to solve this hard problem (or at least try to remain years ahead of the competition).

Last edited:
I remember reading an article about silicon chips being about to the limit for how small they can go. They've got a new material now that can go smaller and better than silicon, but I can't remember the details XD

I'm definitely going to shove over 1.4v down my 14nm CPU.. bet I can hear it degrade. Then I will RMA it because if my 2500k did this, then this one must be defective. :rolleyes: /s

1.4v on 14nm is suicidal for the CPU. 32nm could handle it.. This will die quickly this way.

I'm definitely going to shove over 1.4v down my 14nm CPU.. bet I can hear it degrade. Then I will RMA it because if my 2500k did this, then this one must be defective. :rolleyes: /s

1.4v on 14nm is suicidal for the CPU. 32nm could handle it.. This will die quickly this way.
Intel's spec sheet lists 1.45V as upper limit for safe voltage for Skylake. Something tells me it is similar with Kaby, in fact, may even get to 1.5V. So, 4.9Ghz on 1.42V? Sounds usable.

Intel's spec sheet lists 1.45V as upper limit for safe voltage for Skylake. Something tells me it is similar with Kaby, in fact, may even get to 1.5V. So, 4.9Ghz on 1.42V? Sounds usable.

Yep, facts is always better but requires a little homework :)

Whats wrong with RMAing? Since it came out, I have bought the Intel OCing insurance, so who cares if it burns up, the insurance covers just about anything going wrong with the chip from OCing.

My 14nm CPUs don't even come close to that voltage. That would have to be one seriously bad chip to receive one with the upper limit 1.45v voltage. I bet you would have to stay away from AVX loads for sure.

Yep, facts is always better but requires a little homework :)

I never researched it obviously but I don't overclock much anymore. I just got to 4ghz on my BDW-E @ 1.16v and called it good.

Back