Kaby Lake finalized, shipping to OEMs

unless there are some significant features added into the chipsets, I'll likely stick with my Z170 Skylake until 2020

Kaby Lake is a tiny upgrade for desktop.

Its the same core as Skylake. The video decode and base/boost clocks seems to be the only change to put it roughly. Its huge for mobile tho, make no mistake. We talk mobile parts with +400 and +500Mhz compared to today. A 7700K may also turn out to be 4.1/4.5Ghz.

Its the same core as Skylake. The video decode and base/boost clocks seems to be the only change to put it roughly. Its huge for mobile tho, make no mistake. We talk mobile parts with +400 and +500Mhz compared to today. A 7700K may also turn out to be 4.1/4.5Ghz.

I'm good with that. My 6600k runs 4.5. I want moar giggityhurtz, but this one starts to get a little too toasty, even under water. I also want/need Hyperthreading. So, there are two good reasons for me. :)

We can't definitively say what it is yet. This release-refine-perfect plan is new for Intel.

Optane support alone should be a good enough reason for those of us on Sandy or Ivy to upgrade.

I'm in for a kaby laptop.
Putting USB and TB on die, plus HDMI 2 makes for a solid mobile platform.

I see the OEMs doing wide upgrades so they can remove third party controllers and simplify their layouts.

Last edited:
will have faster IPC than any multi core xeon processor /broadwell-e made.
Should be at least 5% faster than skylake and possibly up to 10% when overclocked.

KL should be the final iteration of the 14nm process for desktop processors. This also means it should be the "big" IPC improvement according to Intel's new release schedule since they sent ticktock to the bin. I'm really curious what we will be seeing out of it

KL should be the final iteration of the 14nm process for desktop processors. This also means it should be the "big" IPC improvement according to Intel's new release schedule since they sent ticktock to the bin. I'm really curious what we will be seeing out of it

the yields are much much better according to the CEO , I would not be surprised to finally get 5ghz stable on watercooling using a H110 or kraken x61. I will be deliding!

I doubt we'll see any more than 5% IPC improvement. Although I'd like to be wrong.

I doubt we'll see any more than 5% IPC improvement. Although I'd like to be wrong.

well for me running a haswell i7 4790k at 4.8ghz i should see a 15% increase at the same speed. For all we know kaby might be the first to hit 5ghz stable. I am upgrading for sure

will have faster IPC than any multi core xeon processor /broadwell-e made.
Should be at least 5% faster than skylake and possibly up to 10% when overclocked.

Kaby Lake uses Skylake cores. No difference.

The only difference will be in clock speed.

The changes are base/boost clocks and IGP decode and output.

Lol that place

Yeah its kind of like the Weekly World News in the checkout line at the grocery store in that Mount Rushmore may not, in fact, actually be crying tears of blood, but it is fun to look at.

2018 is so far away!
I still have $20 on seeing a 6C desktop part in 14nm flavor.

So do we have any idea when Kabby Lake will be out?

Supposedly, Q42016 for mobile (laptops), Q12017-ish for desktop. One B in Kaby, by the way.

IDF is a couple of weeks away. We'll get firm Kaby Lake information there, including a new roadmap. My guess is that Kaby Lake's biggest feature will be Optane support, but it'll be price prohibitive for several years, and so won't really matter for this round. Native USB C will be nice, but is hardly worth waiting 6 months for, IMO.

I'm slowly talking myself into getting a 5820K or a 6800K. I'm ready for a CPU upgrade (to the "Sandy is fine" crowd: minimum FPS matter), and I need a new motherboard anyway.

Thanks for the info terp.. im also itching for a cpu upgrade as you can see from my specs lol

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think Kaby Lake will be another Broadwell. Notebook focus, with little desktop availability. I could be wrong, but I don't care either way. It's hard to get excited over a 5% boost.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think Kaby Lake will be another Broadwell. Notebook focus, with little desktop availability. I could be wrong, but I don't care either way. It's hard to get excited over a 5% boost.

Cannonlake is more likely to be the next Broadwell with the die shrink being pushed for mobile and other low power segments. Kaby is starting mobile of course, but it will be a refined drop in replacement for Skylake with great yields. Add in that Coffee Lake might potentially be the first mainstream 6 core launched near the Cannonlake time frame and you can see how the puzzle fits together. I personally don't expect 10nm to make its full push on the desktop until Icelake.

I'm in for a kaby laptop.
Putting USB and TB on die, plus HDMI 2 makes for a solid mobile platform.

I see the OEMs doing wide upgrades so they can remove third party controllers and simplify their layouts.

Thunderbolt is definitely not on die for Kabylake, I don't think it makes it into the cpu/chipset for a while.

Back