Kaby Lake 7700K vs Sandy Bridge 2600K IPC Review @ [H]

I regret updating now. The tangible, seat of the pants, difference isn't there. Wish I would have just bought the 1080 ti and waited until Skylake-X or whatever Zen v2.0 ends up being. Even though I believe there still won't be much difference in gaming the additional cores will pay dividends down the road. Nothing wrong with the machine but I'm $3000 broker, w/ monitor, and got very little out of it.

I regret updating now. The tangible, seat of the pants, difference isn't there. Wish I would have just bought the 1080 ti and waited until Skylake-X or whatever Zen v2.0 ends up being. Even though I believe there still won't be much difference in gaming the additional cores will pay dividends down the road. Nothing wrong with the machine but I'm $3000 broker, w/ monitor, and got very little out of it.

Yeah that is what I am waiting for myself, but it is like watching paint dry and dry and dry and dry :)
But I would had thought the 7700K would be a notable jump, especially as you can use much more recent drivers.
At least you can sell the 7700K+motherboard when SKylake-K/X comes out if it is good and not eye watering prices but just wincing price, would need to sell a bit earlier than Zen v2 as that I would guess tank the I7/I5 4C/8T prices.

Cheers

The more I read, the more I am happy with my decision not to upgrade my existing system - just picked up 1080 Ti last Fri and given I'm gaming using 1440p @60 MHz, think I'm set for a while. Based on MSI Afterburner readings, my i7-2600k is not bottlenecking the GPU - think the highest CPU usage I noticed was in Watch Dogs 2.

Last edited:
Well damn. I've been looking to sell off my current system (2600k + MVG) to start from scratch but now it doesn't look like it matters. I don't think my ol' Sandy will hold my GPU back enough for it to be noticed until I can upgrade my monitor.

Still going strong on my 2600k bought at launch. While newer motherboards have some features I would like to have, the current CPU's on the market make it not worth upgrading at this time. Perhaps at the end of 2017 or early 2018 there will be something really good.

I just made the leap from 2600K to 7700K a few days ago. While the overall system itself feels MANY times faster then the old rig, that's mostly due to not sharing any parts between both rigs. Everything is new in the new build, and fairly high end enough to make a stark difference over the old parts. I think of all the changes from 2600K to 7700K, the least noticeable change is the CPU upgrade itself.

I just made the leap from 2600K to 7700K a few days ago. While the overall system itself feels MANY times faster then the old rig, that's mostly due to not sharing any parts between both rigs. Everything is new in the new build, and fairly high end enough to make a stark difference over the old parts. I think of all the changes from 2600K to 7700K, the least noticeable change is the CPU upgrade itself.

What are you doing that is many times faster? Every component in mine is upgraded and I'm seeing negligible differences. Before and after in my signature.

What are you doing that is many times faster? Every component in mine is upgraded and I'm seeing negligible differences. Before and after in my signature.

For one, the 1080Ti is at least double plus some, more powerful then the GTX 680. Frame rates jumped in Fallout 4 from hovering around the mid 50's at 1080p and high-ish settings to 160+ fps at 1440p, maxed settings. That's a resolution, settings, and triple performance improvement there alone. Similar effects can be claimed for Star Trek Online and even Stalker CoP. So just graphically alone, we're talking a 2.5-3x improvement not even counting the quality boost achieved WITH that near tripling of performance.

Next up, storage speed. My previous build was based on a Sabertooth P67 with a pair of SATA Patriot Torqx 128Gb SSDs in RAID 0. Boot time from POST to login was around 5 seconds and astounded me when I first built that rig. Reading lots of reviews, I prepared myself to not be disappointed by not getting, yet again, another big jump by moving to M2 NVMe. This lack of expectation was the actual mistake. Boot time from POST to login now is 2 seconds, if that. The instant UEFI hands off to boot, I see the spinny dots Windows splash (with Asus logo for some odd reason) for a brief 1 second flash, 1 second of black screen, then the login screen. Better then doubled the speed of boot up. Applications, games, installs, all similarly seem about twice as fast on the Samsung 960 Pro 512Gb versus the pair of Patriot Torqx 128Gb in RAID.

Even daily browsing "feels" snappier, though this one is less quantifiable. Everything is just plain snappier though. I really don't have a lot of other metrics to measure then the ones listed as gaming, watching movies, browsing the net, and a few other nick knacks are all I do on my machine. But the metrics I have tested average at least double speed or capacity on almost every subsystem not counting CPU itself, which only seems about 20-ish% faster maybe. But then, CPU horsepower wasn't what I was really lacking I don't think. It's everything around the CPU being highly researched to get the most out of it all that is paying off the most on this build.

Yeah, probably down to the SATA controller, but my H110 system with a Pentium feels just as fast or often faster in basic tasks vs my 2600k (with Z67?) setup. The 2600k has a newer SSD with far more storage space, too.

If Intel's upcoming 6core is compatible with my H110/LGA1151 setup, I'll upgrade to that and switch over to my mITX build as a primary.

I am still using a 2600K at 4.4 and I want a new system, not for new but for something better. Everything that comes out is like the article, a side upgrade.
Now Intel is going after cores just to say they have as many as AMD. Not upgrading features as much as shouting we have more cores.
The new processors on the front page do not show anything but more cores and more watts to make them run.
I do like the idea of MSI with dual M2 cards, a small system boot drive and a 1G + for gaming...still would use old hd's for storage.
have waited this long for something really new I can wait and see what june will bring, I do hope this time its something.
Kyle didn't really show the feeling of enthusiasm of so many people when sandy was launched.

If Intel's upcoming 6core is compatible with my H110/LGA1151 setup, I'll upgrade to that and switch over to my mITX build as a primary.
Not so fast. The upcoming 6core CPUs have been pushed back to the Spring of next year. And although the Coffee Lake socket will have 1,151 pins, the new LGA1151 v2 socket that the new CPUs will use will not be backwards compatible with the existing LGA 1151 socket; the pin assignments and physical socket keying will be different. As a result, current LGA 1151 CPUs will not fit the new LGA 1151 v2 socket, nor vice versa.

Not so fast. The upcoming 6core CPUs have been pushed back to the Spring of next year. And although the Coffee Lake socket will have 1,151 pins, the new LGA1151 v2 socket that the new CPUs will use will not be backwards compatible with the existing LGA 1151 socket; the pin assignments and physical socket keying will be different. As a result, current LGA 1151 CPUs will not fit the new LGA 1151 v2 socket, nor vice versa.

Coffee Lake 6 cores comes in AUGUST 2017.

And there is no information yet about being incompatible. The Sandra leaks even shows it on the Kaby Lake platform.

Coffee Lake 6 cores comes in AUGUST 2017.
That information was posted back in April. But a newer announcement came back earlier this month. A Kaby Lake refresh will be released instead of Coffee Lake this coming August. The most noteworthy parts in the Kaby Lake refresh will be the 15-watt U mobile parts will now be quad-core instead of dual-core.

Again, this information is speculative.

That information was posted back in April. But a newer announcement came back earlier this month. A Kaby Lake refresh will be released instead of Coffee Lake this coming August. The most noteworthy parts in the Kaby Lake refresh will be the 15-watt U mobile parts will now be quad-core instead of dual-core.

Again, this information is speculative.

The lastest information posted by Digitimes and announcement of AsMedia keeps confirming august for CFL-S.

And for CFL-S on the Kaby Lake platform here you go.
http://ranker.sisoftware.net/show_r...d4ecddefd6e5d3f587ba8aacc9ac91a187f4c9f1&l=en

Well, the only thing I think I am missing right now is booting off of the m.2 drives I have and USB support for devices I don't have yet. I had to grab an adapter to run the one Samsung SSD I have installed, and frankly, I'm not using it for much other than WoW right now, and that runs great in raids and such on a 4k monitor/TV. I tried playing ROTT last night with my son, and I died repeatedly as I couldn't turn the speed down enough at first for the mouse speed, as it flew across the screen, spinning me in circles.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that for the most part, the 2600k is "good enough" to handle everything I toss at it. That being said, it is running a $700 video card and overclocked rock solid for years at 4.4GHz.

Would I like to look at anything higher? Of course. Would I spend $3000 to get very similar results to what I have already? Not unless I win the lottery.
I've taken the idea of the CPU not being the main thing all the way. All 3 of the other PCs in the house have decent video cards or my hand-me-downs, even if they aren't smoking in other ways, and they all shine. The only one who complains is the step-son, and I think that is because he keeps getting killed in Overwatch... and his complaints are NOT about the PC. He is running an older i7 as well as a 670 video card on 1080P. Smooth graphics, good gameplay.

I do feel that Intel rode out their CPUs for the past few years, as in "good enough" to sell and not make progress on. I am extremely happy for AMD and am very interested in their threadripper CPUs and how they open up more lanes for more SSDs, video cards, etc.

Intel rested on their laurels too long and now I am looking at their competitor. BUT I am also in no rush to upgrade.

Yeah well my 2500k, 980 Amp and 16gb with a 144hz BenQ 1080P is making part of my gaming life difficult.

BF1 min frames is pretty terrible unless I really turn down the settings. Result is a blurry screen that I have a hard time seeing people in the battle whether it be from smoke or distance. I really have to keep mesh turned down a bit to medium or I will get waxed during close combat. Me no likey the look.

Will the next big upgrade be this year or next spring?

Yeah well my 2500k, 980 Amp and 16gb with a 144hz BenQ 1080P is making part of my gaming life difficult.

BF1 min frames is pretty terrible unless I really turn down the settings. Result is a blurry screen that I have a hard time seeing people in the battle whether it be from smoke or distance. I really have to keep mesh turned down a bit to medium or I will get waxed during close combat. Me no likey the look.

Will the next big upgrade be this year or next spring?

I'm experiencing similar running a 2500K @ 4.5 GHz and a 1080 at 4K. Curious to see what the consensus is, although the thought of some modern mobo features is certainly a compelling argument in and of itself.

Moving from 2500k/ddr3-1600-CL9 to 4790k with ddr3-2400-CL10 helped minimums here (generic statement, not BF1 specifically). Pretty sure the biggest impact on my "upgrade" was the ram, not the cpu.

Any chance of a quick update post-Meltdown?

I'm curious where Ryzen stands. Maybe it's time to update the wife's Ivy Bridge system.

Back