Kaby Lake 7700K vs Sandy Bridge 2600K IPC Review @ [H]

That looks like memory speed has more impact than the CPU. And I'm not sure a game that runs the same in 1080 low and 4K high or gets double-triple performance boost from a patch is a good benchmark for anything.

It would be interesting to compare the CPUs using Watch Dogs 2.
GamersNexus has been compiling a reasonable list but they need to go back and revisit the 2600K and OC it, they have done the OC for the 2500K.
Interesting to see how much Watch Dogs 2 is influenced by CPUs.
http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2808-watch-dogs-2-cpu-benchmark-thread-intensive-game/page-2

watch-dogs-2-cpu-benchmark_1.png

Cheers

That looks like memory speed has more impact than the CPU. And I'm not sure a game that runs the same in 1080 low and 4K high or gets double-triple performance boost from a patch is a good benchmark for anything.

Yeah, I actually get his 2600k numbers... with my 4790k @ 4.4ghz and 2133mhz RAM (and same GPU - 980 ti). So pretty sure it's just RAM speed that does this. I saw someone else post similar results before (on a 6700k with different RAM kits).

That being said he does not actually show what in game settings he's using. Even the other link he gives : http://techreport.com/review/31179/intel-core-i7-7700k-kaby-lake-cpu-reviewed/11 shows plenty of non maxed settings (object quality can go up to ultra for example & has a pretty big impact because it runs mostly on the CPU - also, why are water reflections disabled?). So those would be different from my settings (all ultra, VD 6k, OVD 1.9k, shadow distance maxed etc.).
But yeah this is a bit of special case so to say :p (I love the game though, and the upcoming 64bit update has me very excited even if I'm not expecting a straight fps boost)

The only reason I retired my i5 3570K build and built an i7 7700K rig is the motherboard in the i5 3570K was failing. I hate how Intel has delivered next to nothing in the past 5 years, I am sick of them and their price gouging. If AMD [Ryzen] was a mature platform I would have gone AMD.

Been running 2600K since early 2011.

5.0GHz stable.

And this article proves why I haven't upgraded yet.

*sigh*

Motherboard is getting old and has issues. I want m.2. But I feel so cheated right now "upgrading" to anything other than a 6950X but intels pricing on that is ludicrous.

Yes, if you have a 2600k and get a 5G capable 7700k it well worth it. Overall it's faster, it scores 100 more in IPC ( 2900 vs 2800 Passmark bench, both 5G ).

Well, you give me some hope. I priced out a 7700K, Maximus IX Formula and G.Skill 3200MHz CAS14 32GB. My 5GHz 2600K is still running, but I'm really missing the new features (m.2) and have been wondering if the faster RAM would really help some of the game performance issues I am having.

Ryzen hype got me all excited but now that it is out I'm not seeing a reason to go to it either.

The hype did get me to order a new waterblock and bits and pieces for my water loop. Haven't been excited about computer parts in a long time!

Last edited:
It is hard to believe that those 100 score points in Passmark, or any other benchmark that shows the marginal gain from 7700k over 2600k, are responsible for the oberall boost that I experience.

I only use 2 games or simulators, DCS and some DiRT Rally.

In DCS ( Digital Combat Simulator ) the overall speed gain is phenomenal, latency is so low that I can bang my head to AC/DC with TrackIR5 and the pilot's head stays synced in cockpit to every beat !

That, is a thing to be seen, crisp and fast, beyond the IPC. I really dunno what is responsible for this overall gain in speed and smoothness, but this 7700k and Z270 perform very good. DiRT Rally is not demanding, I get more frames

etc..but with DCS it really shows how much better the 7700k is over a 2600k, both at same clocks.

In windows I also feel a snappier response, any app, anything is boosted.

I dont think you will regret that purchase if you mainly game. Then the Intel 7thgen is for you.

yeah I agree with you that the gains do not seem to be from the CPU itself, but rather the memory subsystem and RAM.

System latency and frame times is something that I have always been greatly concerned with, so your experience is encouraging. Yes Intel hasn't made any great gains in 6 years but that also means they have had 6 years to fine tune the platform.

7700K for my gaming rig and Ryzen 1700 for my new server.

I also can't wait much longer, just had to drop down to 4.8GHz as 5.0GHz has become unstable. This board is slowly dieing...

Would it be smart to pair my 2600k with a 1080ti?
No it will probably be a bit limited due to lower IPC and slower RAM. Upgrading to at least Skylake will give you access to faster RAM and storage solutions so there are definately upgrade reasons outside of IPC. I am running the i7 3700k and I am going to upgrade almost exclusively for NVMe

No it will probably be a bit limited due to lower IPC and slower RAM. Upgrading to at least Skylake will give you access to faster RAM and storage solutions so there are definately upgrade reasons outside of IPC. I am running the i7 3700k and I am going to upgrade almost exclusively for NVMe

thanks now im stuck on what to do. Really dont feel like upgrading my entire rig.

A 1080(ti) will still be a nice boost, you can always upgrade your system later :)

thanks now im stuck on what to do. Really dont feel like upgrading my entire rig.
I have the same mobo and CPU as you. I'd stay on the current CPU for now. Wait and see what Intel has to offer by the end of the year, and see if AMD has gotten more refined Ryzen efforts out by then.

Why are you stuck? You will notice the upgrade to the 1080ti with 2600k. For gaming purposes, that's the most effective upgrade you can make. In many games just the 1080 is roughly 3X faster, according to benchies, than your 680. That includes the minimum frame rates
Like ChoGGi said, you can always upgrade your system later.

Last edited:
I upgraded from 2600k to 7700k and added 600mhz. Before and after rigs in my sig. Didn't really notice any difference. I do have a 1080 ti and 144mhz Gsync monitor on order. That might change things.

I upgraded from 2600k to 7700k and added 600mhz. Before and after rigs in my sig. Didn't really notice any difference. I do have a 1080 ti and 144mhz Gsync monitor on order. That might change things.
Just curious,
what voltages did you need to hit 5.1GHz?
Cheers

Just curious,
what voltages did you need to hit 5.1GHz?
Cheers

1.35v adaptive vcore and per core multiplier. 1 and 2 core loads 5.1ghz, 3 and 4 core loads 5ghz, AVX multiplier set to 2. Prime95 will push temps to 84c and Realbench will be mid-high 70s.

1.35v adaptive vcore and per core multiplier. 1 and 2 core loads 5.1ghz, 3 and 4 core loads 5ghz, AVX multiplier set to 2. Prime95 will push temps to 84c and Realbench will be mid-high 70s.

Thanks nice CPU there.
Interesting temps even with such a great 'lottery' CPU.
Is the H110i cooler being pushed moderately hard or still keeping it a bit quiet?
Definitely shows if one goes air need to delid compared to AOI/water, and maybe some will even with water.

Going to be interesting comparing the 4-Core Kaby Lake-X to the 7700K, I appreciate the 7700K works out a fair bit cheaper when also considering motherboard and premium Intel will charge for the CPU.
Thanks

It gets noisier than I like. The Corsair Link will not detect my CPU temp so I have the curves set on the H110i temperature and ramp them early. Once the H110i hits 29c I run them at full tilt. Playing No Mans Sky and Warhammer Total War they stay quiet enough and temps seem to be 60c or less if I alt tab out.

You can use SIV to control your H110i if you don't want to deal with the crap that is Corsair Link (bonus: less CPU usage then CL).
a guide someone made to get started.

Anyone have any benchmarks of the 2500k/2600k vs 7700k at resolutions of say 1440p and up? Most CPU benchmarks are at low resolutions, which is great for a head to head CPU comparison, but it doesn't reflect real world use, unless the FPS delta scales by resolution, but I don't think it does.

For instance, in Metro: Last Light at a resolution of 1024x768, the 7700k at 4.5Ghz averages 24 more FPS than the Sandy at 4.5Ghz. But what happens at 1440p?

Anyone have any benchmarks of the 2500k/2600k vs 7700k at resolutions of say 1440p and up? Most CPU benchmarks are at low resolutions, which is great for a head to head CPU comparison, but it doesn't reflect real world use, unless the FPS delta scales by resolution, but I don't think it does.

For instance, in Metro: Last Light at a resolution of 1024x768, the 7700k at 4.5Ghz averages 24 more FPS than the Sandy at 4.5Ghz. But what happens at 1440p?

I have had an 2600k @4.8-5G and now this 7700k @ 5G ( Games run till 5.2G ) with an Asus Gsync 144Hz screen with 1440p. The overall fps gain is definitely there, I would say 20-25% up, the lowest fps is WAY BETTER and latency feels like it is non existent. I use Track-IR-5_Pro and the difference is HUGE.

Since my old 2600k is dead I cannot really give you hard numbers but I was astonished myself how much more responsive this beast got. GPU,SSDs,HDDs,PSU..all the same as with my old system, only changed CPU-MOBO-RAM, no NVMe yet.

I did invest in fast RAM at 3600MHZ and I have to admit this is on the edge. Getting that sucker to 5G with 2133 is one thing, pairing that with XMP3600 is a totally different story and took me 1 week continous testing to get it stable. I can only recommend such things to guys who are willing to spend countless hours

in Volatge settings and prime95 rather than get the Joystick out :p. I havent really gamed with 2133 so I cant tell the difference in "how does it feel". Some of the low latency I assume is due to the fast RAM.

Also, when you reach 5G @ 3600 you are 98-100% on par with a stock clocked 5820k @ 2133 in all multicore tests and far ahead in any single core test. That was astonishing as well, as I maintain a 5820k as well. This 7700k can pull up to the 5820k and wave hello ..great performance.

I have had an 2600k @4.8-5G and now this 7700k @ 5G ( Games run till 5.2G ) with an Asus Gsync 144Hz screen with 1440p. The overall fps gain is definitely there, I would say 20-25% up, the lowest fps is WAY BETTER and latency feels like it is non existent. I use Track-IR-5_Pro and the difference is HUGE.

Since my old 2600k is dead I cannot really give you hard numbers but I was astonished myself how much more responsive this beast got. GPU,SSDs,HDDs,PSU..all the same as with my old system, only changed CPU-MOBO-RAM, no NVMe yet.

I did invest in fast RAM at 3600MHZ and I have to admit this is on the edge. Getting that sucker to 5G with 2133 is one thing, pairing that with XMP3600 is a totally different story and took me 1 week continous testing to get it stable. I can only recommend such things to guys who are willing to spend countless hours

in Volatge settings and prime95 rather than get the Joystick out :p. I havent really gamed with 2133 so I cant tell the difference in "how does it feel". Some of the low latency I assume is due to the fast RAM.

Also, when you reach 5G @ 3600 you are 98-100% on par with a stock clocked 5820k @ 2133 in all multicore tests and far ahead in any single core test. That was astonishing as well, as I maintain a 5820k as well. This 7700k can pull up to the 5820k and wave hello ..great performance.

Good stuff, thanks for the information. I'm currently running my 2500k at 4.5GHz and am getting the itch to upgrade, well, just because. However, my main game is Street Fighter V which is locked at 60 fps, but have started Rise of the Tomb Raider and will be getting back into the Witcher 3. I'm getting around 60 fps in those games as well which is fine for me (even tough I have a 144hz monitor). Not sure if it's worth it just yet....

Good stuff, thanks for the information. I'm currently running my 2500k at 4.5GHz and am getting the itch to upgrade, well, just because. However, my main game is Street Fighter V which is locked at 60 fps, but have started Rise of the Tomb Raider and will be getting back into the Witcher 3. I'm getting around 60 fps in those games as well which is fine for me (even tough I have a 144hz monitor). Not sure if it's worth it just yet....

I have 2500k + gtx1080 and I have an itch to upgrade but I game on UltraWide 60 fps max and not sure if it worth it for me to upgrade.

no great reason to upgrade from sandy bridge even today. 5+ years and only 30-40% increase is not worth hundreds for cpu/mobo/ram

Opinions requested:
I'm sporting a [email protected] and a 1070 GTX on Intel Z68 platform.
I am a 1080p gamer and plan to stay that way for now. Gaming is the most intensive thing I do with my rig. I liked to run Ultra settings, with maybe one or two options at most not maxed.
Is there a legit reason I should consider AMD 1700+ or 7700K today?

Last edited:
no great reason to upgrade from sandy bridge even today. 5+ years and only 30-40% increase is not worth hundreds for cpu/mobo/ram

Install DCS, fly 1h with your SandyBridge, then come to my place and fly the same with even less MHz on the 7700k and you will be blown away. I have had a Sandy at 5G and my 7700k just blows it away. HONESTLY...Same GPU, same SSD, same everything but the mandatory changes ( mobo ram cpu )

Latency is 1 thing where it shines and I am sure you will find others. I have played on Sandy long enough to know what it can and what it cant. The 7700k outperforms it in each and every aspect, beyond the MHz race.

Reactions: toddw
like this
Opinions requested:
I'm sporting a [email protected] and a 1070 GTX on Intel Z68 platform.
I am a 1080p gamer and plan to stay that way for now. Gaming is the most intensive thing I do with my rig. I liked to run Ultra settings, with maybe one or two options at most not maxed.
Is there a legit reason I should consider AMD 1700+ or 7700K today?
1080p60hz no. Stay as you are. Consider pushing your OC to 4.5ghz at least if you want a couple extra FPS though.

like this
Install DCS, fly 1h with your SandyBridge, then come to my place and fly the same with even less MHz on the 7700k and you will be blown away. I have had a Sandy at 5G and my 7700k just blows it away. HONESTLY...Same GPU, same SSD, same everything but the mandatory changes ( mobo ram cpu )
4c4t != 4c8t ;)
A 2600K/2700K would be a more equitable comparison ;)
1080p60hz no. Stay as you are. Consider pushing your OC to 4.5ghz at least if you want a couple extra FPS though.
You should be able to wring out ~4.4 - 4.5GHz without crazy cooling. I have a few 2500Ks doing 4.6GHz with dinky Zalman CNPS5X HSFs.

like this

Latency is 1 thing where it shines and I am sure you will find others. I have played on Sandy long enough to know what it can and what it cant. The 7700k outperforms it in each and every aspect, beyond the MHz race.

That's nice but show me the data. "outperforms in every aspect" is meaningless. First compare apples to apples and use a 7600k. For games, specifically, it's 10%-40%. You can call that "blowing away if you like." Benchmarks linked:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-intel-core-i5-7600k-review

That's nice but show me the data. "outperforms in every aspect" is meaningless. First compare apples to apples and use a 7600k. For games, specifically, it's 10%-40%. You can call that "blowing away if you like." Benchmarks linked:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-intel-core-i5-7600k-review

Well, he was asking IF a 7700k is worth the upgrade, so I compare vs a 7700k and not a 7600k ( which I also dont have ). It is faster in any aspect, from VMware heavy memory shuffling to supporting my TiR5Pro with ultra low latency, plattform wise the Sata3 is superior, Handbrake is fatser ( use it seldom but I do ).
Each game my sons plays on it when he's here is faster and more fluent according to his statements. I dont need to measure or graph anything to proof that, dont get me wrong, I am not giving a review, just a statement.

If you also run a 7700k and a 2600k....run the same on both..then tell me what you think. I have done it and it's plain obvious, without any benchmark numbers or graphs.

But yes...I get more fps in any game, in DCS I get up to 200fps, lowest somewhere 110-120fps. Never ever had such high minimum fps with the 2600k @ 5G and no such low latency for my headtracker.

Either way, thats my personal experience.

like this
Back