Kaboom

krameriffic

2[H]4U
I am not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I just encountered a unique problem with my PC. I was sitting here watching the latest Zero Punctuation, not doing ANYTHING else on my PC when all of a sudden it turned off as if the power went out, only the power didn't go out. It then struggled to turn back on a few times until finally successfully doing so. I logged into XP and then it promptly turned back off again. Once I finally got it to come back on (that would be this time) it has stayed on for a few minutes. I am making this post in haste in hopes that it does not happen again while writing.

I am running a Q6600 @ 3.0GHz 1.325V, an HD4850 at stock speeds, 2GB of PC6400 OCZ Platinum RAM at 2.1V on XP SP3. The power supply is a piece of shit 500W Allied jobby which I presumed was the problem when it started happening, but since it's working now may not be. Is there anything that might cause this? I built this rig about a year ago now and I've never had trouble like this with it before. Might the PS be going south? As I said, I was not doing anything resource intensive when it happened, nor was there any kind of power disturbance in my house.

If you monitor is plugged into the same outlet/surge protector, did it go out too?

If not, then id definantly say its your PSU.. why use a hunk of crap on a quad system anyways..
also, how old is the PSU and how long has it been running well?

If you monitor is plugged into the same outlet/surge protector, did it go out too?

If not, then id definantly say its your PSU.. why use a hunk of crap on a quad system anyways..
also, how old is the PSU and how long has it been running well?

When I purchased all of the components, I ordered an HX520W also, but the thing was bricked when I got it, so I just used my old PSU and it seemed to work fine. So I basically said to myself "Corsair has good RMA support, I'll just get another one" and at the same time I filed it away in my closet with nary another glance or thought about it since this PSU is working fine. That is, until now, of course. I haven't had any of these problems reoccur since this morning, so I don't know what the deal was. I even played a little TF2 and nothing has gone wrong.

just because your power supply isnt fluctuating at the moment, doesnt mean that wasn't what caused the problem. If the electric in the outlet fluctuated a bit, the weaker power supply wont be able to compensate, causing system strain and symptoms just like what you described.

Seriously, you described PSU failure... textbook.

if you have a better PSU then use it, your components will thank you.

Back