K915s 19-inch LCD Monitor $199.99 AR CompUSA

The only problem I've seen with KDS is their image leaves much to be desired. The one my parents have has a very bad contrast ratio and looks very washed out. Its good enough for what they use it for (they don't even notice it), but its very noticeable to me.

It appears to be, from the casing and specs, the exact same OEM'd monitor as my MAG 19" ($170 AR from BB on black friday).

The monitor is okay. I've used it for gaming and haven't noticed any smearing, but then, I'm not picky. I do regret getting this monitor, even at $170 for one simple reason-- the black level is much higher than other LCDs. I just got a viewsonic va912 and the difference in contrast is glaringly obvious.

It's acceptable if i turn the brightness (the backlight) all the way down, retweak the gamma in windows, turn the lights off and have a light behind the monitor. Not an ideal situation.

So, it's great for black-on-white windows work. But for games or movies that have alot of dark or high contrast images (like Doom3 or Hellboy) definitely consider in shelling out for an LCD with a stated CR of > 1000:1.

That's my review. Also, it's only analog, but it does an excellent job of it provided you run at 60hz.

Go buy a 19" rosewill from the egg.

Really good reviews, 3 year parts/labor/backlight warranty, 8ms response time.

Obviously it depends on what you want to use it for, but it's about the same price, much better response, and you aren't giving compussr money to boot!

Just my .02.

stuckpixel said:
Go buy a 19" rosewill from the egg.

Really good reviews, 3 year parts/labor/backlight warranty, 8ms response time.

Obviously it depends on what you want to use it for, but it's about the same price, much better response, and you aren't giving compussr money to boot!

Just my .02.

I bought the same KDS LCD monitor for my son a few weeks ago for his 13th birthday. Luckly I tried it out before his birthday and was VERY disappointed in it. Very washed out looking colors and it's definately not for gamers. I took it back to Office Depot and got my money back. I then ordered the Rosewill R19E from Newegg. It was about the same price with shipping (after rebate) as the KDS would be with sales tax (after a much higher rebate) and it's a very good LCD monitor. Read the reviews at Newegg. I wouldn't give you one of the Rosewill's for TWO of the KDS's and this is from someone who still has a 6 year old 19" crt KDS still going strong on my daugthers computer.

KDS customer service is horrible. I had a fried 19" CRT once and called them about a warranty. (Its colors went bad after only 3 months of use.) So they tell me they discontinued that monitor and would replace it with a 21" of the same line. After about a MONTH of waiting, I call. And then I call again. And call some more. And NEVER get anyone on the phone during regular hours. So about 2 1/2-3 months later, I get the replacement, a regular 19" CRT.
I will never buy a KDS again.
Im sticking with Viewsonic.

Back