K8V SE Deluxe bios problem

plink

Limp Gawd
Okay, heres the deal, and I'll start from the beginning. I was using my computer last night and noticed that my mp3's were skipping... Yea, I know, its digital, it should skip. So I bring up my task manager and check out the performance tab to see what the cpu load is. The cpu usage meter is jumping around like crazy. Every app was now closed and yet the meter was jumping all over the place. To make it even weirder, half of the bars on the meter are red along with the green. (something ive never seen before). I begin to panic.

So as a result I restart my computer and try booting into the bios. As the computer boots up, I start tapping the <del> key as you would normally do. The computer boots all the way back to winxp. "WTF? I just told it to go into the bios!" I scream. Maybe I missed the post screen or something... So I reboot again this time watching the monitor, and start pressing delete while the computer is still restarting. This time I noticed the computer seemed to 'skip' the whole post screen (maybe because it boots so fast...) and so the first screen I see is the hard drive SATA detection screen. (on the Promise controller. There is only 1 160 gb sata drive in the machine) Still pressing delete through this, the computer continues to boot to windows, as if I havent told it to go to the bios.

Now I am really freaking out. I pull out the trusty motherboard manual to make sure its the <Del> key I am supposed to press to bring up the BIOS. I try again, and again and again. Probably 50 times, even using the other keys that have been known to go to bios. (I am desparate now) Nothing worked. So I switch to a PS2 keyboard that I know has no problems, and no F-lock. Still nothing tho. The only screen I can get to come up is the <tab> option for setting up your harddrives.

So I have now pulled the case side off and have pulled out the mobo battery and moved the jumpers over to reset the bios. This should work right? WRONG! Still nothing, except now my computer isnt even booting to windows. The comp stops loading at the harddrive screen and says it cant find the promise controller or something and that 'No Bios Installed.' After a few more tries of restarting I am officially freaking out. What the hell is wrong here?

I run upstairs to another computer, and throw the latest bios, and asus afudos flashing utility on a floppy disk. I run back downstairs and throw the disk in. The computer doesnt recognize it... either that, or I had disabled the disk drive in the bios before. (as I dont use it ever) Either way, its impossible for me to flash the bios. My cd rom is also set to boot after the harddrive, but even after unplugging the harddrives, the comp still freezes at the promise controller screen. Never giving me an option to insert a disk. Heck, it doesnt even notice that there is no HD to boot off of.

So thats the story. My conclusions so far, is that somehow the bios got erased from the chip, and this has caused all the problems. My only hope now is that I can get it returned and exchanged for a new one... Unless of course someone else here knows how to fix this huge disaster.

Anyways, thx for listening to me rant.

Asus K8V SE Deluxe
Athlon 64 3500+
1 Gig OCZ pc3500
Asus ATI X800XT-PE
1x 160 gb SATA
1x DVD rom
Antec 480watt True Blue

All parts are less than 5 months old.

that mobo doesn't boot to the floppy by default, so thats why that isn't working.

is it a ps2 or usb keyboard?

I have both, and have tried both.

Just a note, the bars of red in the task manager isn't a problem. It turns out thats just the kernal times being displayed. The mp3s were skipping tho, and the cpu was still spiking for some reason. Unfortunetely I didn't remember to check the list of processes to see which ones were causing the lag.

Had that mb, but it was to much trouble...I ended up sending the bios to Asus, also I bought another mb, and very happy with the MSI....

Back