K8N-DRE dual 940 mobos NIB for $18.99!!!!! :eek:

good price, if you have something to do with it.

there is a seller in the BST that is selling 940 CPUs.

could make for a nice VM server or a higher powered WHS

Well, a guy on ebay is selling PR440FX (dual Pentium Pro) mobos for between $350 - $486. I wanted one of those for a WHS but I wasn't gonna pay more than $40. Found these 940 mobos and just about had to change my pants.

paired with these would make a pretty big step up from my single-core amd 3700+ 2.2ghz pc =/
but i'd still rather wait a few months and then just buy newer tech.

definitely a crazy price though!

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
sweet deal, almost jumped on them until i thought to myself, "what will i do with this?". :D

If you have DDR ram, then this is a good deal. Otherwise, you're looking at about $60 for just 2x1GB of the stuff.

according to wikipedia, each opteron 270 has a TDP of 95w, so it's essentially 190w for a quad core? this rig will suck up too much juice, otherwise i'd turn it into a 24/7 cruncher

Well, considering I dropped $1450 on my dubb duece opty system, I think a few hundred on one of these systems is pretty damn good.

$31 for mobo w shipping
$25 for 2) optys
$60 for some mem
~$120 for a PCpower&cooling psu
~$200 for an EATA case
add your own HDD and optical

I do have a pair of a pair of 940 Opteron 265 and 4 GB worth of Registered PC2700 (1GB x 4) if anyone is interested. $50 shipped cont. US.

Didn't most/all of the DC Opteron 2xx series CPU's need/require PC3200 (Reg ECC) to run at proper/full speed vs. PC2700 (Reg ECC)?

ram divider?

i have not messed with that motherboad but most 939/940 motherboards had ram dividers.

do they support CnQ? because then the idle TDP will be way less than the rated 190w

2 questions for my fellow [H]'ers

1) what is the difference between the 3 motherboards on geeks? they all appear to be the same just different MFG naming.

2) how would this with two dual-core 1.8Ghz cpus compare to one single-core 2.2Ghz amd cpu ? o_O i'll possibly jump on this if it'll be an arm and a leg faster...

thanks =)

Last edited:
Ram for that would be uber spendy.

At the end of the fay, you'd be better off more for more reasons than one to score up a Dell poweredge t110 to play with. Xeon 5500 support, 16gb ddr3 ram support, and if you like esxi, there is an internat usb header. $500 will get a basic unit. By the time you buy the ram to make this worth a shit, you'll be close in price.

Then you still have to feed it electricity.

Just saying.

1) what is the difference between the 3 motherboards on geeks? they all appear to be the same just different MFG naming.

Not sure there is any differences really. The third one doesn't come with the CPU backplates. That's the only thing I could find.

2 questions for my fellow [H]'ers

thanks =)

only 1 out of 3 is guaranteed working. ;)

I think I'm going to bite on a few of these after christmas, if they're still available. It's a pretty good deal on the mobo, costs of the additional parts nonwithstanding. The ram is the only pricey thing, but it's not like that's a tossaway expense.

Well, Got my 2 boards today. They are in plain brown boxes (bulk packaging). The boards look beautiful. Gonna add one to my new DC farm. Pound out some units. The other is a christmas gift for dad.

One could theoretically buy a pallet of these and just give them away as holiday gifts every year. Kinda like those fishing pole thingies.

I've heard good and bad things about the board. Seems quality was an issue with them at times and the layout is kind of, meh, because of the PCIe location.

Other than that I plan on snagging a bunch of these myself at some point anyway.

Now could I use this as a standard everyday pc?

Sure.

I didn't look to see if they support a pci-e slot, but you could potentially be limited by graphics support.

I would personally look elsewhere if this would be the start of a server or a desktop.

Sure.

I didn't look to see if they support a pci-e slot, but you could potentially be limited by graphics support.

I would personally look elsewhere if this would be the start of a server or a desktop.

This will be my first server build ever, so I'm goin' cheap.

This will be my first server build ever, so I'm goin' cheap.

Before you say your going cheap, price the ram, psu, case, processors.

At the end of the day it is still dated tech, ddr1=eww.

I stand by my previous post, check out the Dell t100 & t110's if you want a cheap server.

I dunno about this one... A i750 p55 system should be more powerful than this...

Sure no ECC. But who's checking for errors anyways?

I stand by my previous post, check out the Dell t100 & t110's if you want a cheap server.
But that is not the [H] way!! What fun is it to just BUY a server??? :p

sweet deal, almost jumped on them until i thought to myself, "what will i do with this?". :D
+1... but still tempted, dang'it

I hate that our company firewall blocks EBay.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back