K7S5A Pro and an original Tbird 1000 Ghz

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
Guys,

Upgraded my wifes machine from the original KT7 Raid to this K7S5A Pro, because I was going to upgrade her CPU at some point.

I installed everything, but when I go to install XP, it comes up to starting Windows, and then reboots.

All other hardware is the same. Only thing different is MB.

Could this CPU that is old obviously, not be supported on this board?

Run a repair on windows, reinstall, or replace the hardware registry.

You're getting an IDE error when it tries to apply the VIA drivers to the SiS controller.

To explain option 3:

copy the file "system" from c:\windows\repair to c:\windows\system32\config

I suggest backing up the "system" file in system32\config first.

Note that "windows" is a variable foryour windows directory and that "system" has no extension.

Schro said:
Run a repair on windows, reinstall, or replace the hardware registry.

You're getting an IDE error when it tries to apply the VIA drivers to the SiS controller.

To explain option 3:

copy the file "system" from c:\windows\repair to c:\windows\system32\config

I suggest backing up the "system" file in system32\config first.

Note that "windows" is a variable foryour windows directory and that "system" has no extension.

This is on a fresh install of windows that this is happening. :-(

jordan12 said:
This is on a fresh install of windows that this is happening. :-(

In this case, it is usually the PSU, memory, or a heatsink without thermal grease......

Very rarely its the motherboard.... how many sticks of ram do you have in it?

Schro said:
In this case, it is usually the PSU, memory, or a heatsink without thermal grease......

Very rarely its the motherboard.... how many sticks of ram do you have in it?

I didn't use Thermal grease because I thought this was a cpu that ran cooler.

How does the not using thermal grease cause this issue?

I owned around 3 K7S5A's back in the day when they were the hot little ticket, and I can
honestly say, they are POWER HUNGRY little mofos. You truly need a great power
supply to run one decent. Alas in the long run, it isn't worth it. Just get a new board instead of a new power supply. ;) :cool:

jordan12 said:

doh .. :eek:

always use some sort of goop .. dont matter if chip is "supposed" to run cooler or not ..

jordan12 said:

Well, the grease just helps the bond better and can make a differnece between night and day.. I've heard of instances where just a change in the grease can change the temp around 10C so think of how it would be without any. so I would definiately try to use some, just a little bit, and see how what happens. I may be wrong, but the thunderbirds were the hottest frigging chips ever made. I had a 1400 tbird and i swear i had to keep a full desk fan next to the case to keep it cool.

In your case, you cpu is getting quite warm and is getting unstable. definately try grease. hell, I had to do an emergency coating with VASOLINE!! Crude, but strangely it worked. LOL. Good luck, try not to use vasoline though, its a bit sketchy at best...

jordan12 said:

Yes.

Thermal grease makes sure the CPU makes complete contact with the heatsink. A paper thin layer is all that you typically need and should alleviate your problem. If the core does not make complete contact, one part can get too hot to make proper calculations and introduce the BSOD.

This should be a very nice combo.

My old K7S5A run a 650 t-bird and 1.33 t-bird and 1700+ t-bred all perfectly fine. It was an amazingly stable board. I run it 2 years and not once did I have a hardware releted problem. I kinda miss it because my current msi k8n is not exactly very stable.

im still using the k7s5a and it works pretty good for how old it is got a duron 1800@2025 wit 1 stick of 256mb pc133 ram, the biggest problem ive had with it is the power supply i can either have my 2 hard drives up or my cdrom and 1 hd its really weird when there all hooked up none of it seems to work i know its the power supply tho..

Guh. I had a K7S5A Pro... Thing died when I tried to use DDR memory... Now, last I checked, when you have DDR DIMMs on the board, you should be able to use them no problem... However, no. Switched the SDRAM back in and didnt even boot on a CMOS clear....

so_cal_forever said:
Guh. I had a K7S5A Pro... Thing died when I tried to use DDR memory... Now, last I checked, when you have DDR DIMMs on the board, you should be able to use them no problem... However, no. Switched the SDRAM back in and didnt even boot on a CMOS clear....

I've used both types of ram (not at the same time) on a few dozen different K7S5A's.... Even had one as a shop board- stood up to about a year's worth of abuse before it b0rk3d itself......

The K7S5A is a true workhorse...I 'll let you in on a little secret...the K7S5A will run ANY and ALL socket A cpu's..Even a Bartons and Semprons, they just will not run at full speed though.

A good place to look for info for these boards are the following:
http://www.rhcf.com/sis-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=1
http://p199.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum

The board is real finicky with memory, best to stick with the brands listed in the manual. Also try not to use the first PCI slot below the AGP slot...IRQ issues with some boards, but I think the pro is just fine...I gave a Pro board to a buddy in Canada and he was running a Barton 2500+ on his at full speed no less. The PLL is a 200MHz part and by some luck of the draw, he could get his to run at 166 or so...

I boot mine at 143MHz all the time. If you can spend a bit of time on it, that board will make a good little machine.

Later

MD

(Moderator "veedub76" @ K7S5A motherboard forum)

I visited that board when i was working with my k7s5a.. good board. i never did the bios flash, or the northbridge heatsink replacement, but it's working very well for my father. hasnt crashed in over 6 months so far.

lmao ,
i got that exact same Cpu & mobo sitting idle on my desk right now .
its flashed to pro bios , but still wont boot with a (333) xp2500 barton in it.:mad:

IMHO , all k7s5a boards i have had the displeasure to work on have been nothing more than extremely lowend crap, although i am biased against any SIS chipset , period .:rolleyes:

I had the same problem, thats why I sent it to my buddy in Canada, he has it working in his GF's computer, I didn't have the time to troubleshoot it...

It's a love/hate relationship with PCChips/ECS...but they do OEM for the others guys too...and do a bit of cross licensing as a perk for the board manufacturing...ABIT and Shuttle are already outsourcing a good deal of their motherboards to ECS for manufacture.

You could have one of the boards with the bad cap formula...

Sorry you had such a bad experience with it, I had mine running in 15->20 min or less, not a single problem.

MD

I had the same exact problem on a k7s5a, couldn't run xp or 2000, machine would reboot. Finally figured out the cpu was bad (1400 tbird) when i tried it in another machine. replaced it with a 1600xp runs super stable now, its folding it heart out.

Has anybody found a bios for it that they fixed the 200fsb option in? i got my duron runnin at 300mhz(150)fsb stable

No one has a bios with the 200MHz option...Honey X or OC workbench did not make one due to the PLL bug in the clock IC setup...200 FSB is a rare Jem with these boards...boot at 150 has a better chance, then jump to 166 with speedfan...

http://www.amihr.tk/
ECS K7S5A PRO OC/Mod BIOS V8.9 040424
Usage [All PCB Rev]
BIOS Brand/Size/Date [AMI - 2Mbit/256KB – 24 Apr 2004]
Version [8.9]

Update description

1. Added Full Screen Logo Control and support.
2. Added DDR333/PC2700 support.
3. Replaced BIOS Setup utlity with a new version with a lot more options.
4. Changed and added FSB frequencies for more stability and better OC capability.
5. Added ACPI Sleepstate control (this option will not work on all configurations).
6. Updated copyrights to 2004.

ECS K7S5A OC/Mod BIOS V8.7 030327
Usage [PCB 1.X/3.X]
BIOS Brand/Size/Date [AMI - 2Mbit/256KB – 27 Mar 2003]
Version [8.7]

Update description

1. Added Full Screen Logo Control and support.
2. Added DDR333/PC2700 support.
3. Replaced BIOS Setup utlity with a new version with a lot more options.
4. Changed and added FSB frequencies for more stability and better OC capability.
5. Added ACPI Sleepstate control (this option will not work on all configurations).
6. Updated copyrights to 2004.

I have not tried the newest 3rd party firmware.

MD

Back