K7 Thunder and Tiger Owners!

ferrisnox

Gawd
I"m still running my K7 2462ung. I've got 2500mobile bartons in it @2.1ghz stock volt. and a geforce 68000nu. It pretty much runs constantly and I use it everyday for gaming, 3d modeling/rendering, etc.. I love this system, but its starting to show its age because of the memory bandwidth. I"m just wondering if anyone else is still running one of these bad boys. It does great in hl2 and cs:source. I just can't buy a new system until this one dies...
Is there a specific forum just for k7 thunder owners/operators? If not we need one. ;)
This board is part science part mistic astrological voodoo.

I have been there and while thats a good repository of info...most of it is quite dated. I'm looking for people still interested and using these everyday.(not too many i guess).

ferrisnox said:

2CPU isn't dead. They know far more than many of the people here about multi-proc systems. Some of them are even members at both places. Post in the motherboards section and you might be able to get a faster response.

Or you could come hang out in #2cpu on irc.freenode.net. The channel is mostly for BSing, but we hold some good conversations there from time to time.

And yes, I'm still running a Tyan dual, however its only as my server (tiger 2460). My main rig is a dual barton 2500+ @ 2.2ghz/1.75v on a gigabyte GA-7DPXDW, although thats soon to be replaced with a decent dual opteron setup.

ferrisnox said:
I have been there and while thats a good repository of info...most of it is quite dated. I'm looking for people still interested and using these everyday.(not too many i guess).

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Over!!

2cpu is a monster forum, not on the scale of {h} but still a great forum, and if you ask a question over there, you will get an answer.

I know i read it more then i read [H], because the people over there are nicer, and alot less bs and drama goes on.

Tiger MP owner here. :D I have dual 1600+ procs a gig of ram and a 6800nu. runs great.

i still run my 2462 as my main machine, i had 2500+ bartons (non mobile) running @ 2ghz but i fried one and now i need a new pair of CPU's since the new non mobile bartons are a biach to mod...

i have a 2466 in my game server for lan parties and general folding machine too with dual AXP 2000+'s...

what did you have to do to get your mobile bartons on the 2462? i wanna know becuase i am going crazy with only one cpu :(

FLECOM, The great thing about using the mobiles on this board is you don't have to mod the MP bridge on them its already enabled, and the Tyan board doesn't care about the mobile bridges on the chip, so you can leave them alone as well. But because the barton cores run on a 333Mhz frontside bus, you have to change the multipliers. You could by the socket adapters for this tmcsomethingrather, or just do a wire mod and put the wires in the holes... thats what I did.... I was nervous doing it, but it went great.
Here's some info on doing this
http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html

i thought the mobiles run at a 266fsb? :confused:

Jesus....why does everyone think the "MP" stands for "mobile processor"??

It stands for multiprocessing

Last edited:
btw, what is the highest clockspeed the tiger MP 2462 rev. 3 will support?

I am thinknig about upgrading my dual 1600+ procs. :D

Are you sure its a tyan tiger 2462 MP... I think thats the wrong model number. As far as upgrading I know there are some issues with the tigers power connector drawing to much power and melting the connector depending on the processors...(However with your revision they may have fixed it by now) There are modifications you can make to fix this...though with mobile chips the draw is less because the wattage the processors run (not overclocked) is less 30-45 watts, so some people run them at default voltage and just bump up the clocks and they seem okay. If its a 2462 Thunder, there is no problem that I'm aware of with the power draw.

ferrisnox said:
Are you sure its a tyan tiger 2462 MP... I think thats the wrong model number. As far as upgrading I know there are some issues with the tigers power connector drawing to much power and melting the connector depending on the processors...(However with your revision they may have fixed it by now) There are modifications you can make to fix this...though with mobile chips the draw is less because the wattage the processors run (not overclocked) is less 30-45 watts, so some people run them at default voltage and just bump up the clocks and they seem okay. If its a 2462 Thunder, there is no problem that I'm aware of with the power draw.

sorry, I meant to say 2460

Leright said:
Jesus christ...why does everyne think the "MP" stands for "mobile processor"??

It stands for multiprocessing
?

I didn't see anyone in this thread that misused the meanings.

What chu talking about>?

They are using mobiles in motherboards designed for MP's. Or maybe you know that and I'm confused.

foofighter06 said:
?

I didn't see anyone in this thread that misused the meanings.

What chu talking about>?

They are using mobiles in motherboards designed for MP's. Or maybe you know that and I'm confused.

ah, no...I didn't know that. I thought they were referring to MP processors as mobile processors.

Tyan 2462 is a Thunder, not a puny Tiger ;)

and i dont have power connector issues since the 2462 used an ATX-GES power supply (24+8 pins, similar to EPS but different pinouts)

I'm still running a Thunder S2462UNG with dual Barton [email protected] (that's right, their underclocked). If anyone is feeling the age of this architecture, I certainly am. I've been wanting to upgrade since last year, but nothing has hit me hard enough to take the plunge. Unless anyone has 2 used 2800MPs they wish to sell, I'll stick with what I have for the next quarter or two. Who knows, perhaps longer.

I'm hoping to eventually get a Thunder K8WEX (s2895) when it's released, but haven't decided if I'll purchase the latest greatest processors at that time. I might purchase just one Opteron and then get two dual core baddies when they hit the streets. Problem is, virtually all my components are nearly obsolete especially my CRT display, and require an entirely new system, which will be very cost prohibitive. Priorities must come first.

Hey Apollo,
why dont you clock those Bartons up a bit should give you a nice speed increase....why are they underclocked so much anyway? Worried about pulling to much wattage?

ferrisnox: said:
Hey Apollo,
why dont you clock those Bartons up a bit should give you a nice speed increase....why are they underclocked so much anyway? Worried about pulling to much wattage?
No, quite the contrary. I had them OC to ~2.2GHz for approximately half a year. I had implemented the XP-TMC adapters with multiplier adjustment to get the higher multipliers that the board does not natively support. Unfortunately, the system crapped out and I lost one processor. I don't know the cause for sure, however, I strongly suspect the adapters since the one attached to the failed CPU did not work properly after the incident.

At the time the system was running F@H 24/7 about a month after we had reclaimed the lead from the Aussies. This machine has lost a lot of processors to DC (about 4), hence my present desire for stock MPs. It seems every time I involve myself with DC, something horrible happens which results in losses I find unacceptable. It must be bad karma, God knows I have a lot of that... :rolleyes:

Back