JVC harx700 - a poor mans ath-a900!!

Hmm, well, I've compared it to my Audiolab 8000A (which some say is best headphone out of any integrated amp) and it holds up. Not as punchy but still good. Does that Pioneer have a DAC? To get best sound out of PC it is best if you use external DAC which the Onkyo has.

BTW, why doesn't JVC USA list either RX700 or RX900? They only show RX300 and RX500as being available in US which means I have no hope in hell of finding these headphones in Canada.

http://av.jvc.com/product.jsp?pathId=106

Do you guys really think burn in makes much difference? I read an article about burn in and the person that wrote the article said all speakers are sent a high load signal at the factory to loosen the driver and then after that burn in does not make any difference to sound quality. I'm seeing someone post above that they are hearing a difference by the hour which I find questionable and think they may be highly susceptible to the placebo effect.

At least in this case I believe burn-in really is necessary. I'm telling you when I first put these headphones on I thought they were inferior to the previous Sony MDR-V150s I was using (which don't sound too hot themselves). But after just three hours of burn-in alot of the issues I was having with this pair corrected themselves. Letting them burn overnight gradually brought the quality up even higher.

... With only 10.31 for shipping!

Is that good or bad? I see Ratshack sells them too so you can run down there tomorrow and get a pair for $49.99 and pay no shipping. In Canada ten bucks for shipping is about standard.

Do you guys really think burn in makes much difference? I read an article about burn in and the person that wrote the article said all speakers are sent a high load signal at the factory to loosen the driver and then after that burn in does not make any difference to sound quality. I'm seeing someone post above that they are hearing a difference by the hour which I find questionable and think they may be highly susceptible to the placebo effect.

some headphones need burn in ,some dont. koss is notorious for needing a ton of burn in. i've had nice senns that didnt change with burn in at all. the jvc harx700 definately needs a burn in- about 50 hrs will do u good

If anyone is in need of HA-RX700, I've got brand new unopened box for $33 shipped. ;)

Just PM me.

Just ordered the harx700, but what do u mean, when you say burn in the headphones? Do you just leave them on playing music all night or what? Because i would like the optimal sound quality i can get from these headphones

Just leave them on playing anything and at the normal volume you play music on. Some headphones need up to 250 hours some need only 12. I am gonna shoot for about 100 hours of burn in before the HARX900 become my default HP.

Burn in is BS Imo.. Even if true.. It will not change so dramatically, like, I hated the sound, Then 24 hrs later it sounds great.. It's the brain adjusting to the sound.. Remember songs that grew on you? Same concept. If burn in was such a huge factor, I'm sure companies would make it well known.. Ala, for optimal sound burn in 48hrs first, etc.. But they don't.

Well first off burn in does help.I have actually tested it with new headphones i get.I do this by letting my brother listen to them when they first come in and then i have him listen to them after a long burn in.And so far my brother has said with each hp that they sounded better.But anyway i bought the rx700s.They kinda disappointed me at first.But then i burned them in for maybe 14 hours and wow big difference! The bass is stronger without being bloated, the highs have tamed slightly and the soundstage has gotten better.Overall i am very happy so far.Oh and the detail is amazing! Definitely recommended.

kool. this is for real. the 900s sound very bad when they first play. they really need to run for a few days until the drivers are moving properly. just tight or something to start.

*sigh
So after Buy.com lost my shipment for the HARX700...
And decided to issue me the very same HARX700... they wouldn't upgrade me to the HARX900 when the HARX700 was out of stock since they refused to answer the email...
They magically decide to ship out the HARX700 that came in stock... but at the slow "free" shipping method... when they should've been here last week. :(

I'm glad I don't buy much from Buy.com... they don't really know how to make it upto customers -_-

I'll let everyone know how I like the headphones :) though I wish I had gotten the HARX900 upgrade

*sigh
And decided to issue me the very same HARX700... they wouldn't upgrade me to the HARX900 when the HARX700 was out of stock since they refused to answer the email...
They magically decide to ship out the HARX700 that came in stock... but at the slow "free" shipping method... when they should've been here last week. :(

I'm glad I don't buy much from Buy.com... they don't really know how to make it upto customers -_-

I'll let everyone know how I like the headphones :) though I wish I had gotten the HARX900 upgrade

While Buy.com could have certainly went above and beyond expectations, they're not obligated to and you shouldn't blame them for it. It's not as if Buy.com owns a fleet of planes, trucks and employees who go on delivery routes --- your gripe is with shipping, in this case, is the parcel delivery service (the ones who actually lost your package, not the people who sold you the item).

Sorry for going off topic.

*sigh

If you don't open the package you can send them back for a refund and then get the 900's. It's a hassle and will cost you more but you will get what you want in the end.

I'm not so excited about getting these headphones anymore because I am getting a bit dubious about peoples claims that they sound bad at first but after burn in sound really good. As someone at headfi has pointed out, these are just the FOTM headphones and are probably not all that great. Will they sound better than my HD595's? Probably not.

If you don't open the package you can send them back for a refund and then get the 900's. It's a hassle and will cost you more but you will get what you want in the end.

I'm not so excited about getting these headphones anymore because I am getting a bit dubious about peoples claims that they sound bad at first but after burn in sound really good. As someone at headfi has pointed out, these are just the FOTM headphones and are probably not all that great. Will they sound better than my HD595's? Probably not.

there has been many 'new' headphones that got everybody excited b4 at headfi. many i've tried (remember the equation rp-21-sounded great at 1st, then u thought 'wheres the hi notes'). the jvc harx700/900 are the real deal tho :)

*sigh

you can refuse shipment and buy.com will give you 100% refund. even if you miss the opportunity to refuse, you can still RMA for 100% refund. you might be able to refuse by placing a note on your door if you cannot be home when delivery comes (probably depends on the carrier.. idk)

anyway, just create a new order for the 900s now if you want 'em.

i actually refused shipment for my rx700s yesterday and ordered the rx900s a couple days prior. buy.com hides their phone number, but they sent it to me in an email: 800-800-0800... they advised me to refuse shipment and create a new order btw

good luck

mine arrived today.

hp001.jpg

oops, here is the problem, i can't read anything ;)

hp002.jpg

hp003.jpg

hp004.jpg

i don't have much time today so i just listen to a few tracks i have on my main rig trough the zero dac / headamp.

hopefully i can find the time tomorrow to test them on my main system, but i already like them.

mine arrived today.

hp001.jpg

oops, here is the problem, i can't read anything ;)

hp002.jpg

hp003.jpg

hp004.jpg

i don't have much time today so i just listen to a few tracks i have on my main rig trough the zero dac / headamp.

hopefully i can find the time tomorrow to test them on my main system, but i already like them.

Don't forget the burn-in.

I always enjoy the little finishing touches the japanese give to their product and presentation.

I wish mine had the dog and gramophone :(

So far I have not been wrong about anything I suggested. The 900s need more time to settle in before they sound right. Some folks say burn in is bs but I know differently. The drivers are brand new and simply need time to work out the stiffness. Some speaker companies actually put this in their manuals.

Be patient. Wait for all the new owners to chime in after they have them for a bit and then say you are suspicious. No reason not to be. I don't believe anything until I try it myself too. In this case, I was not expecting much. The surprise continues as to what I hear with these. I can honestly say that I have not heard this level of detail and sound separation from any headphone except Stax and the modded K340s and K1000s I have had. I know that sounds like total bull but I swear it is the truth. What I can't really pin down is what is the sound quality level? Yes they have tons of separation and you hear everything in a song or in a game. However, is it still a bit muddy compared to a higher end headphone? Since I do not have anything else to compare these to except my memory, I have started a thread on head-fi asking other members to give them a try and report back.

The sole reason that I bother with all of this is to get the real sound out to as many people as possible. Only way to do it is to find something affordable and easy to use. I think ourfpshero has found the right cans for the job.

Well, ok, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt until I hear them myself. My dilemma is that I can't find anywhere that sells them in Canada anyway so may never even get the chance to own a pair. Seeing that pic above with all the Asian writing on the packaging I am guessing these are a grey market product and is why I can't find them for sale up here.

Well, ok, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt until I hear them myself. My dilemma is that I can't find anywhere that sells them in Canada anyway so may never even get the chance to own a pair. Seeing that pic above with all the Asian writing on the packaging I am guessing these are a grey market product and is why I can't find them for sale up here.

Grey market? Not really - those phones came from the Victor line which is what JVC is called in other parts of the world.

You can either make a few friends in the US and have them proxy order it for you and ship it to canada or do what shadowlord did and order it from one of the ebay resellers in japan that do ship worldwide. The ebay option will be more expesive of course, but I'd pay full msrp for the 900s now that I know how they sound. They've been practically glued to my head for a week now.

Hey Kolb, i'm also from Canada, BC to be exact. I found a online store that shipped to us, i ordered the RX700 from thetwistergroup. Cost was $50 with shipping. Also be warned they "delay" shipping orders to Canada.

Ordred: 10/20/2008
Shipped: 10/24/2008

If you dont mind waiting they were pretty decent to deal with. They also have the RX900's.

Mine just came today, can't wait to get home and try them out.

Grey market? Not really - those phones came from the Victor line which is what JVC is called in other parts of the world.

By "grey market" I mean they were not meant for sale in NA. Thus, the Asian writing on the packaging.

Hey Kolb, i'm also from Canada, BC to be exact. I found a online store that shipped to us, i ordered the RX700 from thetwistergroup. Cost was $50 with shipping. Also be warned they "delay" shipping orders to Canada.

Ordred: 10/20/2008
Shipped: 10/24/2008

If you dont mind waiting they were pretty decent to deal with. They also have the RX900's.

Mine just came today, can't wait to get home and try them out.

Thanks, couldn't find them there at first because they didn't list them but when I search for RX-900 they come up. Did you have to pay a brokerage fee to the courier company when they arrived? That's why I try to avoid purchases from the U.S. and look for a Canadian distributor.

http://www.thetwistergroup.com/product/HA-RX900 D46058.html

I just looked into their shipping rates and they say if you ship regular ground via UPS then there is a brokerage fee but not if you ship priority.

ground = $26.21 USD + $20.00 - $30.00 brokerage fee
priority = $116.98

:eek:

Hey, just noticed both RX700 and RX900 use 50MM NEODYMIUM DRIVERS. What makes the RX900 better than the RX700 then?

OK, that twister group said they both use 50mm driver but I think that is incorrect because of the below info. I think 700 has 40mm driver and 900 has 50mm driver. And they are meant for Japanese market and not NA and is why I can't find them in Canada.

http://hifi-ring.com/2008/01/30/victor_jvc_hp-rx900_hp-rx700_headphones.html

Victor aka JVC will release soon in Japan a couple of new headphones, the HP-RX900 and HP-RX700. Both are equipped by the proprietary "Sound Stabilizer" technology to ensure minimal resonance which results in high pitched sound along with deeper bass. This series adopts a large headband with outstanding wearing comfort for long listening sessions and leather ear pads. In addition the HP-RX900 features a bigger driver (50mm).

Specifications (HP-RX900):
► Frequency response: 7Hz ~ 26kHz
► Sensitivity: 106dB/mW
► Power handling: 1.5W

Specifications (HP-RX700):
► Frequency response: 10Hz ~ 22kHz
► Sensitivity: 105dB/mW
► Power handling: 1.5W

Thanks, couldn't find them there at first because they didn't list them but when I search for RX-900 they come up. Did you have to pay a brokerage fee to the courier company when they arrived? That's why I try to avoid purchases from the U.S. and look for a Canadian distributor.

http://www.thetwistergroup.com/product/HA-RX900 D46058.html

I just looked into their shipping rates and they say if you ship regular ground via UPS then there is a brokerage fee but not if you ship priority.

ground = $26.21 USD + $20.00 - $30.00 brokerage fee
priority = $116.98

:eek:

My shipping was $17, and no i did not pay a brokerage fee.

I just bought the jvc rx700s and I'm using them with my onboard sound through the headphone jack on my z2200 speakers.I feel as though the jvc are not giving me their all because of my setup.What should i do to increase the sound quality?Get a soundcard or go for a amp or both?Any help will be appreciated.

I just bought the jvc rx700s and I'm using them with my onboard sound through the headphone jack on my z2200 speakers.I feel as though the jvc are not giving me their all because of my setup.What should i do to increase the sound quality?Get a soundcard or go for a amp or both?Any help will be appreciated.

logitech headphone outs are very weak powered. get a fiio amp for 10$

Back