JVC harx700 - a poor mans ath-a900!!

ourfpshero

[H]ard|Gawd
(also posted on headfi)
i have a disease- its called adhd -or- attention deficit headphone disorder.

i had spotted the jvc harx series a while back and could find zero info on them except for specs. i was interested in the 700 and 900 particularly. after waiting for a while i finally decided to spend 38$ shipped price for the harx700 from buy.com. these things came in a huge box and look very similar to the audio technicas which i also own

the jvc seem well built, are heavy, well padded, and comfy. these wouldnt put off a headphone enthusiast at all- they just look and feel good.

so how do they sound? very similar to the a900! nice highs and booming bass. they dont reach quite as high or quite as low as the a900's but man are they close. the best way to describe the jvc is not quite as 'clean' sounding as the a900 (whick are extremely clean sounding to me). and these are fresh- no burn in yet. i will burn these in overnight and report back.
so far its safe to say that these are a poor mans ath-a900. there is NOTHING even close for less than 40$ shipped

Very Cool! I might have to try those. Headphones that size generally cost at least $100. Oh and that build type is pretty comfortable and sturdy. The only issue might be for folks with ears that stick out a bit.

Those look really good! Got spaceman's great recommendation on the SB40 but... decided to scour headfi for more info. These looks great and don't have a mic; which is something I don't want to have on the headphones. *could get the Zalman clip on*. How are these for gaming?

i have tried these a little for gaming. they are great. very large soundstage. i also have the sb40. the jvc blow them away sound wise. and these have deep earcups also-almost the same as the audio technicas.

Awesome dude, can't wait to hear your report after burning these cans in! Try out different music genres from rap to rock to classical to jazz and let us know how they sound. Thanks for finding these man.

i have tried these a little for gaming. they are great. very large soundstage. i also have the sb40. the jvc blow them away sound wise. and these have deep earcups also-almost the same as the audio technicas.

Have you said anything about these before? If not, WHY THE HELL NOT!

lol

Great. We have a budget king. I will get a pair. Need a full sized set anyway. I gave my sb40s to a nephew.

Also, ATH-A700 clone I'm guessing. For starters, AD900 is the open version.

Quickie google is pointing at +/-$40. New or something...not up on JVC's site yet. HA-RX700 = "home audio - RX700"...should be here from the look of it, but nothing. Nada on site search either.

I'm also going to assume you mean A900 and not AD900. I already have the AD700 and I might consider getting these anyway as I've never owned a pair of decent closed phones to compare to open ones.

lol my bad. glad you found them man.

I have been extra stupid special edwardo helmet boy for a week or so. I think it is allergies. Well I hope it is anyway lol.

I think I'll buy a pair. I wish I could get it b&m...

EDIT: Where is the best place to buy these?

Cool, I'll have to give these a shot and see how they compare to my RP-21's. Would be nice to have a pair of headphones I would actually be O.K. being seen out in public in. :p

Ever since I bought some jvc hafx300 ($30), I've gained a new respect towards jvc. I used to think of them as a brand that I wouldn't even give a second glance to but now I'm actually falling in love with the brand more so every passing week. I want to give these headphones a shot but I just blew my budget on beyers and some other miscellaneous things so I'll have to wait a few more weeks. I still want to try a pair of fx66 too.

Need more impressions!

Cool, I'll have to give these a shot and see how they compare to my RP-21's. Would be nice to have a pair of headphones I would actually be O.K. being seen out in public in. :p

I love the bass on the 21s but the sound stage is tiny. You should get a real change of pace with the JVCs.

ok- i burned them in overnight. bass has mellowed out and is cleaner and stronger. these handle heavy beats easily and can go very loud- just like name brand headphones. i did some gaming this morning- the soundstage is big, positioning no problem. my ears did get hot after an hour or so. while gaming i actually unplugged the jvc and plugged in the a900 just to compare. the a900 still has slightly lower bass and slightly higher highs. but its slight enough to wonder if the speakers are made in the same factory. the jvc's have a very audio technica sound to them

Could be. When you are talking Asia, anything can happen. Regardless, is the sound stage really vertical like the A900s? Or is it wide? That is also a telling sign.

Hmmm. The last 900s I had were AD900s. The Opens. I did not care for how close the cups were to my ears dues to the flat pads. Looks like the pads on the JVC are fuller.

I decided to order a pair of these, I was looking for some closed cans, and had been considering the RP-21s. With the price of these its definitely worth a shot! Thanks for bringing these to my attention ourfpshero! :cool:

They are better than the RP-21s for gaming. Nothing under $100 has the bass of the Rp-21 but the sound stage is too small for gaming, movies or several types of music.

I saw on Buy.com they've got a 6.3mm connector.. is that optical out? I'm a noob when it comes to audio, but these sound like a mega good deal. Can you put up a pic of the connector as compared to 3.5mm? (What i've got now)

I saw on Buy.com they've got a 6.3mm connector.. is that optical out? I'm a noob when it comes to audio, but these sound like a mega good deal. Can you put up a pic of the connector as compared to 3.5mm? (What i've got now)

1/4" = 6.35mm = full sized headphone connector

They're electrically compatible and it's easy to get an adapter.

Ahhh, that makes more sense to me. I found out the 6.3mm jacks are the ones that you find on old microphones and the like. :p

It's all this half in metric stuff that seems to confuse people. That and inexperience beyond the stuff where a full 1/4" connector won't fit.

The only reason mini jacks became prevalent in the first place is that full sized jacks are inconvenient to build into a Walkman or a PCI card. Thus all the people that have never seen anything besides iPod prepack earbuds, XBox headsets, and maybe Logitech speakers figure that it's the "normal" connector. 1/4" connectors are still used all the time, just not on that stuff since the panel connector doesn't fit well.

I'm swaying more and more towards these than ever! Was going to get the Koss, then found out about the Audio Technica AD700's and found these. Amazon's got the AD700's for $104.84 from $197.18 which to me seems like a solid deal. I dunno though. Anyone that can compare these two?

Please and thanks, One2The3

It's all this half in metric stuff that seems to confuse people. That and inexperience beyond the stuff where a full 1/4" connector won't fit.

The only reason mini jacks became prevalent in the first place is that full sized jacks are inconvenient to build into a Walkman or a PCI card. Thus all the people that have never seen anything besides iPod prepack earbuds, XBox headsets, and maybe Logitech speakers figure that it's the "normal" connector. 1/4" connectors are still used all the time, just not on that stuff since the panel connector doesn't fit well.

Nobody in my family has ever been an audiophile, that's more or less the reason for ME at least. My dad was into HAM radio and used to do communications for the air force, so i've grown up around tech, just not audio tech. :p

In about 10 days i'll have enough Buy.com points to pick up a free pair. Those 10 days won't come soon enough i say :p

Was gonna try out a different pair of Koss w/titanium drivers but figured i'd give these JVC's a whirl instead.

Thanks for the introducing these headphones to us OP.

I'm swaying more and more towards these than ever! Was going to get the Koss, then found out about the Audio Technica AD700's and found these. Amazon's got the AD700's for $104.84 from $197.18 which to me seems like a solid deal. I dunno though. Anyone that can compare these two?

Please and thanks, One2The3

i can -ive had the ad700. the ad700 is slightly airier- mostly due to the open design. the jvc has more bass. for 40$ shipped get the jvc

get the jvc. if they make an open version of it get that. less sweaty ear action lol.

Sweet, JVC here I come! Hopefully I'll get it ordered by tomorrow! Yeah thinking about it more, I need some cash left over. Plus I love more bass probably because I listen to rap more so than rock or pop. Just a varied playlist but love the beats even if they aren't a musical instrument. They look extremely comfortable way more than my current in ear phones. These things hurt after an hour or so.

If this JVC holds out at this price point by Friday, I think I will buy it.

Now the next question is: Is the HA-RX900 worth the $24 extra? 64ohm vs. 48ohm. 7hz-26khz vs. 8hz-25khz.

Now the next question is: Is the HA-RX900 worth the $24 extra? 64ohm vs. 48ohm. 7hz-26khz vs. 8hz-25khz.

No clue. For the Audio Technicas it seems to be trying to copy, the 900s are the lower impedance ones. What if anything it means for these...we can guess, but the only way to know is to get both and find out. Lower impedance tends to be more likely to play ball with portable electronics and computer sound cards, if that helps at all.

Back