Just went from a 3600x to a 5800x

mwarps

Supreme [H]ardness
Like the title says, I just upgraded my trusty Ryzen 5 3600x to a Ryzen 7 5800x.

I needed to update the BIOS on my Asrock x470 Master SLI/ac. It just would not boot at all with the chip in there with the older BIOS. I thought I'd already done this, but it turns out I'd only updated to the 3000 series support, not the 5000 series.
So if your upgrade seems DOA, make sure to flash.

That said, here's a little demonstration of the sheer power:
5800xCine.png

The 5800x, 2700x and 3600x are all mine and are all on this same board.

Like the title says, I just upgraded my trusty Ryzen 5 3600x to a Ryzen 7 5800x.

I needed to update the BIOS on my Asrock x470 Master SLI/ac. It just would not boot at all with the chip in there with the older BIOS. I thought I'd already done this, but it turns out I'd only updated to the 3000 series support, not the 5000 series.
So if your upgrade seems DOA, make sure to flash.

That said, here's a little demonstration of the sheer power:
View attachment 346917
The 5800x, 2700x and 3600x are all mine and are all on this same board.
I've got a 2700x and a gigabyte x470 - glad to see you got it working. (Thinking about the 5800x, too)

Notice any difference in games?

I've got a 2700x and a gigabyte x470 - glad to see you got it working. (Thinking about the 5800x, too)

I'm not a huge gamer - I play a game called Dyson Sphere Program, and it did benefit from the change, for sure. Overall smoother.

I just went from a 4690x i7 to a 5800x... It's crazy how long I've been out of the modern game.

Going from an R7 1700 to an R9 3900X was very, very noticeable for me.

I'm mostly curious what caused you do go from a 2700X to a 3600X, single core performance?

Going from an R7 1700 to an R9 3900X was very, very noticeable for me.

I'm mostly curious what caused you do go from a 2700X to a 3600X, single core performance?
The hop from the 2700X to the 3600X was more predicated on memory compatibility and overclocking fun. My 2700X was kinda picky about its ram.

what you pay for your 5800x? im kinda in same boat on wanting to upgrade and the 5800 seems to be in a decent price bracket. Not like ill be able to upgrade video cards in the forseable future anyways

FWIW - I just saw this: https://www.techspot.com/review/2197-zen-3-cpu-gpu-scaling-benchmark/

Basically, there is no 'gaming value' in getting one of the higher tier cards. (5600x performs very similarly to 5800x). The $150 premium between the two cards doesn't carry value when looking solely at gaming improvements, in other words.

The main thing that is attractive about the 5800x is availability: they're in stock at BB, but the 3600x is OOS.

what you pay for your 5800x? im kinda in same boat on wanting to upgrade and the 5800 seems to be in a decent price bracket. Not like ill be able to upgrade video cards in the forseable future anyways
I grabbed it at $449.

FWIW - I just saw this: https://www.techspot.com/review/2197-zen-3-cpu-gpu-scaling-benchmark/

Basically, there is no 'gaming value' in getting one of the higher tier cards. (5600x performs very similarly to 5800x). The $150 premium between the two cards doesn't carry value when looking solely at gaming improvements, in other words.

The main thing that is attractive about the 5800x is availability: they're in stock at BB, but the 3600x is OOS.
Oh undoubtedly. I do a lot of extreme tasking and mild virtualization for work and it's definitely worth it there.

Throw in streaming in addition to gaming and those extra cores immediately gain in value. If you, somehow, know *exactly* what you want your computer to do for multiple years the second you buy the PC then yeah, go for the lower core count. I, personally, very quickly outgrew what I previously thought was a ridiculous 8 cores of my R7 1700, and then as soon as I got my 3900X, I also very quickly found scenarios where my 3900X is no longer adequate. With great power comes a greater want to use that power. I think this will only continue as more and more things become multi-threaded in the future.

Throw in streaming in addition to gaming and those extra cores immediately gain in value. If you, somehow, know *exactly* what you want your computer to do for multiple years the second you buy the PC then yeah, go for the lower core count. I, personally, very quickly outgrew what I previously thought was a ridiculous 8 cores of my R7 1700, and then as soon as I got my 3900X, I also very quickly found scenarios where my 3900X is no longer adequate. With great power comes a greater want to use that power. I think this will only continue as more and more things become multi-threaded in the future.
Agree - My post was really to point out that the big advantage at the moment for the $150 more expensive CPU is that its available. (It's also why I limited my comments to 'gaming value' - other metrics demand better gear)

Finally got my 5900X to replace my 3900X and upgraded the motherboard from x370 to x570 as well. So far seems to be running good. Seen boosts single core to 4.9 and all cores at 4.5 and the memory actually worked without me having to tweak settings. Though for what this Dark Hero MB cost it should be fast and just work :)

Finally got my 5900X to replace my 3900X and upgraded the motherboard from x370 to x570 as well. So far seems to be running good. Seen boosts single core to 4.9 and all cores at 4.5 and the memory actually worked without me having to tweak settings. Though for what this Dark Hero MB cost it should be fast and just work :)
Nice!

Next week im going from a 8700k to a 5900X and Im pretty excited. I havent had an AMD build in forever. The only reason Im switching over is because I got a combo on a 3080 so I figured I might as well use the board :p

Nice!

Next week im going from a 8700k to a 5900X and Im pretty excited. I havent had an AMD build in forever. The only reason Im switching over is because I got a combo on a 3080 so I figured I might as well use the board :p

Yea, don't be like me and have this board floating around I don't need. :confused:

That's awesome. I plan on going in and upgrading from a Ryzen 7 3700X to a Ryzen 7 5800X myself tonight or tomorrow. Hope to see a good boost in performance from that. We'll see. Thanks and until next time I am out!

Same here. The X470 Gaming 7, with bells and whistles. Had it for almost two years. (Well, I "did" have a 2700x, lol, see below) This is off topic, but maybe someone will have an idea of a fix.

Just today, I received an unused 3700x. Carefully switched it out, and now, everything spins up, but no boot... keyboard and mouse seem to not be active.... Tried all the usual things, save trying a diff PSU. Error codes, 15, 7 etc
Finally put the 2700x back in, and now it won't work. Just one error code "AE" which is for "legacy os" ????

I could try to reload Windows from an .iso, or try to load a different bios from a USB, but if the bios window won't come up at all???

Stumped....

The above post was for PC #2. Here's some benches from #1 PC It's now sporting a 5950X. Light OC in Ryzen Master. So, my 3900x is up for sale!! At least I have one working. Well, #3 is an X58 upgraded to a Xeon x5670 CPU... Still works!

Those results were with the stock cooler that came with the 3900x. I also just scored a Corsair H100i for abt half price, so I'll be able to do a bit more overclocking should I so dare!

Attachments

• 5950 6-13-21.JPG
    5950 6-13-21.JPG
    385.6 KB · Views: 0
The above post was for PC #2. Here's some benches from #1 PC It's now sporting a 5950X. Light OC in Ryzen Master. So, my 3900x is up for sale!! At least I have one working. Well, #3 is an X58 upgraded to a Xeon x5670 CPU... Still works!

Those results were with the stock cooler that came with the 3900x. I also just scored a Corsair H100i for abt half price, so I'll be able to do a bit more overclocking should I so dare!
The X470 gaming 7 requires the F40 bios to run a 3700X. Was the bios updated to F40 beforehand? Be careful there are 2 revisions of that board so be sure and pick the correct revision and explicitly follow the update procedure in the F40 bios description.

Can confirm that x470 gets a bit bios-wonky. At least my gigabyte board has. After flashing F61a everything worked with the 2700x for months (had not fully committed to getting the 5600x). Then for some reason the bios reverted to F6 - which is how I discovered that Gigabyte boards have a backup bios. So now I have to install the 5600x - because I have run across rumors that AMD intended for the latest bios to be incompatible with previous CPUs... Or at least say they're incompatible - whatever.

Same. Bought a new aio 360 cpu cooler.
I have not tried it yet.

Can confirm that x470 gets a bit bios-wonky. At least my gigabyte board has. After flashing F61a everything worked with the 2700x for months (had not fully committed to getting the 5600x). Then for some reason the bios reverted to F6 - which is how I discovered that Gigabyte boards have a backup bios. So now I have to install the 5600x - because I have run across rumors that AMD intended for the latest bios to be incompatible with previous CPUs... Or at least say they're incompatible - whatever.
I don't think it was AMD's intention. I think it was the boardmakers pinching pennies by not including enough bios memory to include future bios which require more space. So now, they are having to drop support for older CPUs, etc, to be able to cram newer support and features, in there.

Just slotted my new 5600x into the X470 board using the Wraith Prism fan and sink from the 2700x. Bios F61c from Gigabyte.

Stable and running 33 degrees at idle with xmp 1 profile allowing me to enjoy the PC 3200 RAM.

Have not play tested yet - but looking forward to seeing what (if any) difference I can see in Tarkov running at 1080p with the 3070. (felt pretty cpu bound with the 2700x)

EDIT - had time for one of the two routes that I've been running. Lets just say that the FPS increase is significant. As in 60-80 fps to 80-100 or more. Moreover the lows seem to be not as low - game seems much more smooth and yet still not easy (I got kilt).

Last edited:
The X470 gaming 7 requires the F40 bios to run a 3700X. Was the bios updated to F40 beforehand? Be careful there are 2 revisions of that board so be sure and pick the correct revision and explicitly follow the update procedure in the F40 bios description.
Wow. Thanks! I should have checked back sooner. I read the bios descriptions and thought above F31 (what mine has) were only required for the 5000 series. I go work on that. Also, I'm not sure if I understand how to keep the old bios as a backup, in case there's a problem. I did fiddle with the two bios swtiches on the motherboard, so, when I went back to the 2700x, the bios had reverted to default.

Just slotted my new 5600x into the X470 board using the Wraith Prism fan and sink from the 2700x. Bios F61c from Gigabyte.

Stable and running 33 degrees at idle with xmp 1 profile allowing me to enjoy the PC 3200 RAM.

Have not play tested yet - but looking forward to seeing what (if any) difference I can see in Tarkov running at 1080p with the 3070. (felt pretty cpu bound with the 2700x)

EDIT - had time for one of the two routes that I've been running. Lets just say that the FPS increase is significant. As in 60-80 fps to 80-100 or more. Moreover the lows seem to be not as low - game seems much more smooth and yet still not easy (I got kilt).

Did you follow the Gigabyte instructions to install F40 bios first?

Also, I've had no problems with the 2700x and my G.Skill 3200 memory at that speed.
On learner's advice, I'm now about to move to the F40 bios, after taking out the 3700x which won't boot. I might come back here and ask more advice. Thanks.

Again, now I can't get the 2700x to boot, either. And I finally took the time to figure out what the two small Bios switches do and how to set them. Have tried both single bios setting and dual on the one switch , and then either backup or main bios.... so far, nothing.

Thanks, guys. I finally got the PC to boot, upgraded the Bios first to F40 and then to 61c, and am now bench testing the 3700.... at first with the ram at 2133.....CB R23 hit12398. R15@ 2104 pts, R20 @4844. CPU-Z was 5682 vs the 2700x at 4935.

A 3950x arrived on my porch an hour ago---open box, unused I'm quite sure. Paid $425, will prolly try to sell it for a fair bit more. What do ya'll think? Heck, #1 PC is now sporting a 5950x, and I have the 3900x up for sale elsewhere.

Last edited:
Back