Just wanted to give a heads up on some good hardware

DerekMecca

Limp Gawd
Last week I finaly got all my parts in for my new computer. Everything installed into the case perfectly. The computer booted up the first time with no problems. Dual boot XP 32 and Vista 64. Both OS's run great with no problems. No driver conflicts with absolutely anything. This is my first time building a computer that has no problems right at the start... so I thought I would give a heads up on the parts I got because they work very well together.

MB: Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128048

This motherboard supports both DDR2 AND DDR3. Right now I'm using 2g of DDR 2, but I plan on upgrading to 4g and eventualy DDR3 when it is good enough and less expensive. This will help the motherboard last well into the future. It is also Penryn ready as well. A great motherboard if you are planning on keeping your build for a while and don't have the money to SLI.

GC: EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130071

This graphics card along with my other parts runs Bioshock at max rez on a widescreen monitor with every single graphical setting maxed. The game looks beautifull and runs VERY smooth. I am so glad I didn't spend insane ammounts for a GTX or Ultra when this card will run brand new games at max settings. I know Crysis will be a bit better graphicaly, but I am sure that it will run the game at max settings as well.

DVD BURNER: LITE-ON
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106073

I read the reviews and they are horrible. Everyone says it's extremely loud, has driver conflicts with current motherboards, creates coasters... and more negetivity. It is also OEM. Well I have absolutely no problems with this drive. It burns great. It does make sound when it plays a DVD but honestly I think these people are crazy... it's definatly not as loud as I was thinking it would be due to the reviews. I've heard louder. Also motherboards and PSU's come with all the cables you need and burning software is easy to find so the fact that this is OEM is no problem. It's only $37. A great deal. But maybe I was just lucky and got a good one.

RAM: Patriot 1GB DDR2 800
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220142

I bought 2 of these. They are cheap, but not the cheapest. They also run a 4-4-4-12 timing. Great ram. I plan on buying 2 more. I concidered going with a 2g stick but it's more expensive. I'm glad I went with this.

PSU: Corsair 620hx
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139002&Tpk=corsair+620hx

This PSU is only $150 after rebates and it is very powefull for the price. Corsair is a great brand. Lots of people have recomended this PSU to me. It's also black and red.. which looks great. It comes with a nice black bag that velcro's (sp?) that is FULL of all the cords and wires you need. LOTS of cables.

CPU: Core 2 Quad q6600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017

After the price drop, it really is a great processor to buy right now.

CASE: Thermaltake Armor Full Black Tower with side fan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133021

Lots of people hate this case because of the flaps in the front. People told me they are cheaply made, they squeek, and are anoying to open every time you want to use a disc drive. Well first of all, they are made of thick metal, they do not squeek, and they magneticly stick to the case when closed. I'd say they are very nicely made. And honestly, anyone who says it's annoying to move the flaps to open a drive is just lazy. Most people who bash the case haven't had hands on experience with it. I think the flaps make it very unique looking. Also, the fan on the side is HUGE. You really don't know how big it is untill you see it. The fan blades are transparent so they pick up on the blue LED's. I have a blue and a green neon inside the case and all the transparent plastic in it looks great. The case is super cool. A fan on the top, 2 on the back, one on the front, and the huge one on the side. Great airflow.

MONITOR: Dell 2007WFP
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4688

Unfortunatly, this monitor went up in price recently. I was going to wait for it to drop back down, but I couldn't wait. Whatever you do, don't go with a TN panel. This is the best 20" widescreen LCD you can buy. Almost everyone is getting the S-IPS recently. Dell says it takes 3-7 days to ship but I got it 2 days later. The monitor can be hooked up to HDTV. It is hight adjustable and can be turned on it's side for a vertical view which is great when working with certain applications.

-----------------

The rest of my parts come from my old computer like my soundcard (M-Audio Delta 66) and such.

So hopefully this helps some people in some decisions

Well it's nice to read a success story every once in while. But FYI, you could've gotten that Corsair PSU for cheaper and with a rebate as well:
Corsair HX620 620W PSU - $147 ( $127 After Rebate)

Also you could've gotten the case for cheaper as well:
Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS Full Tower ATX Case - $150

Other than that, very nice system. Which CPU did you get? Also, are you planning to overclock?

When I bought the case and PSU, they were cheaper. I just linked newegg because it was the first that came to mind.

I guess I forgot to mention the CPU. I bought a Core 2 Quad q6600 after the price drop.

I'm not going to overclock right now. I might look into that more in the future when I have the money for some better cooling options. I have also never overclocked before so it would be a new thing for me to learn.

Ahh I see.

Well pretty great system there man. Enjoy it!

Still a pretty nice looking case.

Also, what's with the bump?

No I'm not showing off, I'm trying to give a heads up on some good hardware. I posted this past midnight so I figured alot of people didn't see it so I bumped it.

I have the Armor case and after installing everything, I tried to burn a dvd w/ the flaps on. The damn things started rattling and well, If you leave it closed by accident while burning a dvd, and walk off for a min and the dvds finished and you have auto eject enabled, The burners tray will hit the flaps and wont fully open. That happened to me a couple times.

I tightened the screws to insure they werent loose, All was well. But everytime I burned something, No matter what, They would shake, So I removed them and all is better.

As for being lazy, HA, I'm damn sure not lazy. Just because I and others tend to not like the flaps, Doesnt constitute someone being lazy, Its personal preferences.

The overall case is nice, Except I wish the PSU portion wasnt the way it is, Sideways. If the PSU portion wouldve been the way it usually is, It wouldve given the motherboard section alilttle more room and it couldve been made alittle deeper to accomodate bigger PSUs.

Hmm... that sucks that you have had a bad experience with the flaps. They don't rattle on my case but a number of reasons could be the cause of that. I don't think that "everyone" who bashes the case is lazy.. just the ones that are like "i don't want to have to open them all the time". I can see the annoyance but it really isn't that big of a deal. In your case though, I understand why you took them off.

I get the point, but in the end this is a lot of the exact same hardware -- pretty much all of it -- that people have been recommending again and again around here for quite some time now. I really don't think the post was necessary; it's already well known that it's good.

Aside from the LiteOn burner (which I recommend regularly despite plenty of naysaying from others) and the Armor case, which in the end really is a matter of personal preference... don't see the point.

Also, your claim that the GTS will run Crysis at max settings perfectly is /completely/ baseless. I hope it will -- it certainly should -- but at this point no one knows that.

Maybe the post was somewhat un-needed but I know of a few people who have thanked me for it and honestly... I have seen threads here that are much worse than mine. There are much more important things to complain about than a thread someone made trying to help people out. At least my intentions were good.

Back