Just want to extend a big fat middle finger to every major hardware review site/channel out there

Thanks for that. One of the few sites that make any blurb about VR. Now...if we can only see some VR benchmarks and a little more in depth coverage. But that article is a great start in the right direction.

Meanwhile...just got some Kiwi Design V2 Silent VR cables (Pro version) the other day and I have been toying around with the ideal placement for them in a room that has a ceiling fan in the center of the room. My first test layout worked out pretty well and I managed to have it set up where the cables will never hit the moving blades, but the tension starts to get a little tight when walking too far away from center. I need a little more slack in the VR cable to offset the tension of the pulley. But even then it was such an improvement over just letting the cable drag on the ground and get tangled around your feet. So I now just rearranged them to layout 2.0 which I think will solve my tension/slack problem. Thank goodness I decided to temporarily mount them using painters tape before adhering them to the ceiling.

Thanks for that. One of the few sites that make any blurb about VR. Now...if we can only see some VR benchmarks and a little more in depth coverage. But that article is a great start in the right direction.

Meanwhile...just got some Kiwi Design V2 Silent VR cables (Pro version) the other day and I have been toying around with the ideal placement for them in a room that has a ceiling fan in the center of the room. My first test layout worked out pretty well and I managed to have it set up where the cables will never hit the moving blades, but the tension starts to get a little tight when walking too far away from center. I need a little more slack in the VR cable to offset the tension of the pulley. But even then it was such an improvement over just letting the cable drag on the ground and get tangled around your feet. So I now just rearranged them to layout 2.0 which I think will solve my tension/slack problem. Thank goodness I decided to temporarily mount them using painters tape before adhering them to the ceiling.

I have those same mounts, and I would strongly recommend using something like 3M Command strips to mount to the ceiling rather than the adhesive on the hooks. Unless you like having the paint and possibly drywall paper ripped off of your ceiling.

I have those same mounts, and I would strongly recommend using something like 3M Command strips to mount to the ceiling rather than the adhesive on the hooks. Unless you like having the paint and possibly drywall paper ripped off of your ceiling.
Thanks for the tip. I was wondering about the adhesive they used and whether it would do that or not but didn’t see much about it. So much for them touting it being a method for those that don’t want to damage their walls and ceilings.

I'm pretty sure I read in BabeltechReviews' rtx 3080 article that they're planning a vr follow up.

So we can talk about VR, which is legitimately a fringe thing no one is using, but we can completely ignore HDMI 2.1, which is literally the standard that everyone will be using going forward.

(yikes)

So we can talk about VR, which is legitimately a fringe thing no one is using, but we can completely ignore HDMI 2.1, which is literally the standard that everyone will be using going forward.

(yikes)
Why would I use HDMI anything? I see no reason to move from DisplayPort. I use more than one screen; most people do. How many cards have more than one HDMI port?

Your use case is considered somewhat fringe, especially for high end cards that are often paired with a lot of different uses and requirements. My tengential reference is as valid as yours.

Why would I use HDMI anything? I see no reason to move from DisplayPort. I use more than one screen; most people do. How many cards have more than one HDMI port?

Your use case is considered somewhat fringe, especially for high end cards that are often paired with a lot of different uses and requirements. My tengential reference is as valid as yours.

For the first time in a while, HDMI has pulled ahead of display port. It has more bandwidth currently. There's an actual standard for variable refresh now instead of being tied to proprietary crap like G-Sync. It's in the consumer's interest to get off that crap ASAP.

Think about all the people who own Nvidia G-Sync monitors now and feel pressure to stay with an Nvidia card, regardless of whether it's the best option, because of their monitor. The sooner we get people on a standard, the sooner consumers don't have those kinds of problems.

It has features like ultra low latency mode. People with home theater receivers can actually use them for surround PC audio. Instead of the current catastrophe that is PC audio, once again, we can actually get on a standard. We can get to a point where someone has an AVR that they can plug their PC, Playstation, or Xbox into. Everything can get normalized.

Several 3000 series cards have multiple HDMI ports. HDMI 2.1 is actually the most exciting thing about all of these new graphics cards.

For the first time in a while, HDMI has pulled ahead of display port. It has more bandwidth currently. There's an actual standard for variable refresh now instead of being tied to proprietary crap like G-Sync. It's in the consumer's interest to get off that crap ASAP.

Think about all the people who own Nvidia G-Sync monitors now and feel pressure to stay with an Nvidia card, regardless of whether it's the best option, because of their monitor. The sooner we get people on a standard, the sooner consumers don't have those kinds of problems.

It has features like ultra low latency mode. People with home theater receivers can actually use them for surround PC audio. Instead of the current catastrophe that is PC audio, once again, we can actually get on a standard. We can get to a point where someone has an AVR that they can plug their PC, Playstation, or Xbox into. Everything can get normalized.

Several 3000 series cards have multiple HDMI ports. HDMI 2.1 is actually the most exciting thing about all of these new graphics cards.
I disagree. I have high end freesync and G-Sync monitors. I have no interest in replacing them any time soon, nor do I feel like buying a new receiver on top of a new video card - especially given that most high end receivers right now are shit (I have a high end Arcam I’m about to throw out the window- it sucks ass, especially for a $4k bit of kit).

Monitors and the like take a lot longer to change; especially if you have nice ones. Triply so if attached to expensive external gear, and that isn’t changing soon.

Most people don’t care, so they’re not addressing your concerns. How many people have an AVR compatible with that? And a screen? And how many of those want to buy a 3080 and hook it up to the same? Compared to the number using it as a normal PC screen with something they have today? Fringe market man. This might matter in a few years; if you’re an early adopter if it, assume it doesn’t work until proven otherwise. The reviewers have no interest right now in trying to drive ad revenue from a tiny number of people that are early adopters- you are too few and far between.

I disagree. I have high end freesync and G-Sync monitors. I have no interest in replacing them any time soon, nor do I feel like buying a new receiver on top of a new video card - especially given that most high end receivers right now are shit (I have a high end Arcam I’m about to throw out the window- it sucks ass, especially for a $4k bit of kit).

Monitors and the like take a lot longer to change; especially if you have nice ones. Triply so if attached to expensive external gear, and that isn’t changing soon.

Most people don’t care, so they’re not addressing your concerns. How many people have an AVR compatible with that? And a screen? And how many of those want to buy a 3080 and hook it up to the same? Compared to the number using it as a normal PC screen with something they have today? Fringe market man. This might matter in a few years; if you’re an early adopter if it, assume it doesn’t work until proven otherwise. The reviewers have no interest right now in trying to drive ad revenue from a tiny number of people that are early adopters- you are too few and far between.

The 3080 in and of itself is a fringe product. Look at Steam hardware statistics. People don't buy $700+ video cards. They're basically for upper middle class and higher consumers.

The average person won't have a 3080+ performance card for several years.

Anyway, you're factually incorrect. Interest in HDMI 2.1 is off the charts.

At a fundamental level, you’re missing the point. Most people aren’t there and won’t be for a long time. Even those of us who spend money on our setups. Hell, I’m moving from 5.1 to headphones and good bookshelf speakers, because meh. It takes years for that inertia to change- so the reviewers, who need money, aren’t paying attention. Find one and PAY them if you care that much. Bring value to the discussion

The 3080 in and of itself is a fringe product. Look at Steam hardware statistics. People don't buy $700+ video cards. They're basically for upper middle class and higher consumers.

The average person won't have a 3080+ performance card for several years.

Anyway, you're factually incorrect. Interest in HDMI 2.1 is off the charts.
$700 card, $2000 receiver, $2000 screen. Try again?

you’re proving my point. No. One. Cares. Yet.

Actually, you're proving my point. Anyone with the money to buy these things is exactly the kind of person who cares about the latest stuff.

Thanks for playing. Insert two more credits to continue.

You’re joking, right?

1600487706689.png

Your. Link. Seriously?

Actually, you're proving my point. Anyone with the money to buy these things is exactly the kind of person who cares about the latest stuff.

Thanks for playing. Insert two more credits to continue.
I spent close to 10k in the last 3 months on my new TR workstation and gaming system. Receiver and screen never entered my equations. I’m not buying either for 3-5 years; why would I?

Your shitty phone is broken. Interest has skyrocketed in september.

View attachment 280606
Percentages are not a valid statistic. You do understand that right?
And a cheap 4K. OLED screen? So...?

I don’t understand how hard this is- your use case is not normal for a computer. People care about consoles, because they ONLY really talk to TVs. Computers do a lot more, for most users- a 75” TV is not a primary or even secondary screen for most people as a computer interface; it’s not efficient. When you then segregate down to people spending this amount on a new card, most are using it with a high end monitor- not a big 4K tv. So now you’ve double limited it.

You’re looking at the following market:
people who are buying a new TV
and a new AVR.
And a 3080.
and use a TV as a primary display
And only play games, since a single big screen sucks for anything productive

Tiny. Market.
Get real numbers, not a statistically useless percentage, since we don’t know the baseline cost.

Obsessing over the amount of memory on graphics cards has to be one of the most adorable and harmless fixations possible. We need more such fluff to distract us from the dark, pre-apocalyptic world of today.

Obsessing over the amount of memory on graphics cards has to be one of the most adorable and harmless fixations possible. We need more such fluff to distract us from the dark, pre-apocalyptic world of today.

It is waaaaay worse.
You have entilted babies online crying like it is the of the world...everytime the worlds doesn't follow their command.
You have retards attacking reviewers due to said babies entitlement and whine.
You have people ignoring facts and refusing to look at past history, but still whining because they feel "spechul"...

The world seriously got a lot dumber during the pandemic.

It is waaaaay worse.
You have entilted babies online crying like it is the of the world...everytime the worlds doesn't follow their command.
You have people ignoring facts and refusing to look at past history, but still whining because they feel "spechul"...

Humans have always been dumb. We're just more exposed to it now. Realistically speaking, every generation does get smarter, but things like IQ and book smarts have nothing to do with common sense or general stupidity. The internet has allowed all of us to become the worst versions of ourselves.

It is waaaaay worse.

Ironic given that you just wrote a post demonstrating some laughable stupidity.

Percentages are not a valid statistic. You do understand that right?
And a cheap 4K. OLED screen? So...?

I don’t understand how hard this is- your use case is not normal for a computer. People care about consoles, because they ONLY really talk to TVs. Computers do a lot more, for most users- a 75” TV is not a primary or even secondary screen for most people as a computer interface; it’s not efficient. When you then segregate down to people spending this amount on a new card, most are using it with a high end monitor- not a big 4K tv. So now you’ve double limited it.

You’re looking at the following market:
people who are buying a new TV
and a new AVR.
And a 3080.
and use a TV as a primary display
And only play games, since a single big screen sucks for anything productive

Tiny. Market.
Get real numbers, not a statistically useless percentage, since we don’t know the baseline cost.

People are literally saying "no one cares" when it's objectively false and interest in it is sky rocketing. You have no idea what you're talking about, but please, keep writing novels that no one will read. That's an example of something that no one actually cares about.

People are literally saying "no one cares" when it's objectively false and interest in it is sky rocketing. You have no idea what you're talking about, but please, keep writing novels that no one will read. That's an example of something that no one actually cares about.
You still do not understand statistics.
If one person searched for months, and now 4 people do, that’s a 300% increase. Does that show skyrocketing interest? What if 47M are searching for 3080s at the same time, but it’s only 4 looking for HDMI 2.1... that’s still a 300% increase, but it’s meaningless relative to the other number. Not even a blip.

Find the actual number of searches. And don’t use PS5 in your search term, since a console is unlikely to be hooked up to a normal monitor, while all of us are arguing that a computer hooked up to a single large screen (especially through a brand new AVR type) is somewhat unique and niche use case. If you want to argue numbers, provide actual true numbers, not a percentage.

I also note you haven’t even tried to argue or debate any of the points I made as to why we think it’s a niche use case... or why it may be unlikely for any of the reviewers to have bothered doing what you want any time soon.

Humans have always been dumb. We're just more exposed to it now. Realistically speaking, every generation does get smarter, but things like IQ and book smarts have nothing to do with common sense or general stupidity. The internet has allowed all of us to become the worst versions of ourselves.

Humans will trend downward over time, unforunately, unless we start selective breeding. Fertility increases quickly the lower the IQ. We’re doomed to breed ourselves into stupidity. With technology Darwinism is about dead.

I do agree it seems like people love to nitpick. They’ll find obscene things to get upset over. What I like more are the conspiracy theories. “nVidia supplied/sold thousands instead of millions of 3080s on purpose because they are greedy!” Wait, what? lol

Im just waiting for bigbluefe to start his own review site.

If your gonna complain about it, just do the work yourself if you think a certain topic is so important that people need to know about it NOW.

Although I am a little curious why you think reviewers NEED to talk about certain specs of HDMI 2.1 on Day 1 GPU coverage/review since it's not the primary focus of the review.

I'd rather wait for a dedicated Article/Video diving deeper into the subject and potential problems it has than if it simply turns on or not. You know as well as I do that what would of happened with day 1 coverage.

[H] really needs a dislike button that when mashed enough times will default hide both the garbage post, all direct replies to it, and eventually auto-lock the entire thread.

Back